How many CEans actually use their engineering skills in daily Life?

We are all engineers of different colours. Presumably we all have some general engineering skills. Do we use these in our daily life around the house?
All the enthusiastic bikers will jump up. That does not count. You will still do it even if you are not an engineer if you are passionate about biking.
Girls are not excluded. No gender advantage.

Replies

• Pensu
    Pensu
    I guess computer science people have an advantage here. We play with our instrument every hour of every single day. We cant live without it. And I not talking about watching movies or playing games, but I guess partitioning your hard drive or installing a new OS/Software should count....๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Pensu
    I guess computer science people have an advantage here. We play with our instrument every hour of every single day. We cant live without it. And I not talking about watching movies or playing games, but I guess partitioning your hard drive or installing a new OS/Software should count....๐Ÿ˜‰
    Yyyess...
    I was thinking more about doing things around the house. Fixing the mixie, rewiring appliances, repairing the leaky tap... those sorts of chores.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm an electrical engineering student and the first thing I learned was never touch electricity & I implement it every day. ๐Ÿ˜€

On a serious note, I use my engineering knowledge to fixing stuff on computer servers. My father is an engineer too and he's 100x better than me because he just doesn't leave anything for me to fix. Mixi's broken? He's already on it! ๐Ÿ˜จ
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I use my little knowledge in amplifiers and audio systems in finding exact audio settings for the Audio system. Have to be wary of the infinite loop gain mostly in the case of feed backs from Mics

Any way other jobs are seldom my interest once in a while I play with mixies and stuff but never often
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    My father is an engineer too and he's 100x better than me because he just doesn't leave anything for me to fix. Mixi's broken? He's already on it! ๐Ÿ˜จ
    Way to go! Meter reader told me this morning that my water consumption is way too high and check the sump. Spent an hour tracking the line.
    Problem: Substandard rubber bung on sump ball wall powdered away by an equally poorly made brass sealing inlet.
    Solution: Place floor mat on top of the sump, lying down flat on the stomach, replace offending rubber by a piece of experimental moulded piece of silicone rubber that I had brought from the factory to inspect, reassemble the float valve replacing the pivot screw that I dropped into the sump with a piece of copper conductor extracted from an odd piece of single core wire.
    Off to a well deserved coffee and then to check the repair. Not a drop leaking so far. Silicone rubber is permanent and non toxic. Should last forever.

But at 73 years, the back does complain somewhat. A walk is called for.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    In fact I got interested in engineering because I saw him fixing everything - from Television to our Car. He even fixed a camera that almost every repair center said can't be fixed. โ˜• .
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Nasty adapter of router & and a bigger socket. The adapter didn't fit well. Bought some sweet few days ago and that rubber band came with the box. So I see that rubber band is actually put to some real use. ๐Ÿ˜

[โ€‹IMG]
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    .. no physical engineering as many people mentioned, but I do play around with WAN devices (routers and switches), do few nasty things like limiting ones BW utilisation, blocking them all together from using internt ๐Ÿ˜ or creating an infinite loop in the WAN network ( this was the latest blooper)
    But all in all, it satisfies me whenever I do it
  • barath rajamani
    barath rajamani
    games, partitioning, wan/lan router, switches, etc have become common...
    i remember fixing my BSNL telephone line myself when i was in high school.. i didnt knowanything then.. and the BSNL line man did not come (maybe sat or sun) so i opened the cable, opened the junction box, noticed only 2 set of wires .. tracked their path and somehow found the cut wire and taped it back to normal...
    this i think is not engineering though....
    if i had laid a perfect way of providing good quality wire for the whole line and if i had made it fool proof.. then it is engg...
    what i did back then is what we now jokingly say in my work as "Jugaad"...๐Ÿ˜
  • PuneetVerma
    PuneetVerma
    Being a mechanical engineer, Do you expect me too fix car or bike ?? I think its very less taught in B.Tech, rather I would say you can do experimentation with them or fixing refrigeration or air conditioners at home (they are taught very late in degree, in my case 6th semester)

In my opinion, ECE, CSE, EE guys have some advantage. People talk about fixing their computer. I completely agree with them..

Sometimes I too have to fix my BSNL Internet, because officers here are completely crap ๐Ÿ˜›

Whats your thoughts about Mechies ??

#-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# @#-Link-Snipped-# @#-Link-Snipped-# @#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    All engineers are to some extent mutidisciplinary. At least we should know better than most plumbers, electrical technicians and such, who frequent apartment blocks and layouts for small time repairs.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    #-Link-Snipped-# I am not 100 % with you buddy here to an extent we like to play with hardware stuff. But beyond a level we go for replacements as mechies do. There is an extent to which our self support can withstand Beyond that there is no hope for us.

But I would say many times we encounter problem with plumbing line and stuff which a mechy support is needed That too when a slab in our house had some problems. That time I was of no help to the Engineer and all his language looked Greek and Latin to me. The way you may feel when an ECE/CSE guy talks about hardware issues I was practically useless in tackling that issue.

Each have a border beyond which the interdependance is really important for a successful way forward.

I am @ramani sir all must have some basic info about other fields of engineering. This can help us to remove basic issues
  • white_hat
    white_hat
    To be honest man, I used to try and fix things before learning engineering, but ever since am an engineering student, I always takes things to shop to get them fixed.
    One thing I learned was that , if you don't have complete knowledge then do not do it.You will only make the situation worse.That includes repairing household items or any thing as a matter of fact.
  • lal
    lal
    When the power is out, an old UPS now powers all the lighting loads in my house with a higher capacity battery. Well, not a big deal I know, some power calculations and right connections.

Before the UPS idea, I had no way to use my phone during power cut. The battery was too old that it couldn't retain charge at all when gprs was attached. That was when I coupled an old 12V cycle dynamo to a half broken sewing machine. With a rectifier, filter and a regulator, it helped my phone stay alive during power cut. But, eh, it became a bit boring after a few weeks (restricting my mobility), sewing to keep the phone alive. I bought a new battery ๐Ÿ˜
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    from a very young age i have been taking care of all the electrical work in my house such as replacing bulbs, fuses, installing a new line or a tube light or ceiling fans.

as far as automobiles are concerned, then i have learnt partly from the lab in my college and partly from watching the local mechanics at work, and i have learnt how to tighten brakes, change engine oil and service spark plugs.

i am feeling sorry to say that whenever my vehicle has a flat tyre, i still need a mechanic, and my engineering knowledge proves to be quite useless then.

but even if i know how to fix a flat tyre, i still do not carry the tools with me.๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜‰

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i think safe mode open only when computer doesn't start in normal condition...
How to prepare a pneumatic arm for an robot? i m trying to make a multipurpose robot with a pneumatic arm
Apologies for being a little irregular over the last two weeks. Just shifted to new job and new place so took some time setting things up. Normal service shall resume...
AUTOBOTS One of the major sectors of the events of Technovanza is Autobots. In this sector, the participants are required to bring their own bots to the respective events. Autobots...
What factor decides the voltage output of an alternator. ? is it always fixed for a particular machine ? Second : for an alternator, input mechanical power = output electrical...