Future Smartphones : Thinner than Credit cards.

Scientists are working on ultra-thin lens that will lead smartphones to be as thin as credit cards or maybe even thinner than that.

This in-progress distortion free lens is so small that around 1400 would fit across width of human hair.In near future, it is assumed to be replacing mobile phones to cameras to FOC communication systems.

The lenses available right now are not capable of removing distortion like spherical aberration (A problem occurs when all incoming light rays ends up focusing at different points after after refracting through spherical surface). This distortion is possible to correct but only by using complex structures & multiple lenses but this makes smartphone even more heavy.So, scientists have been working on ultra-thin lens development.

ACS journal reported, "The lens surface is patterned with tiny metallic stripes which bend light differently as one moves away from the centre, causing beam to sharply focus without distorting the images.The current version of lens works at unique design wavelength, but the scientists say it can be redesigned for use with broadband light"

Future : With development of bend-able lens & Ultra thin lens, which is thinner than credit card; I presume after a decade we will be folding smartphones & keeping it in wallet like 1K rupees bill.
Ultra-flexible PCB (Giving name to advanced version of flexible PCB) + Ultra-thin lens = Ultra Smartphone ? Maybe! 😉

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I seriously wonder why are engineers obsessed with the thinner gadgets. The gadgets are getting so thin that it's becoming impossible to hold them right and in a proper way.
  • Yournished
    Yournished
    I totally agree with you The_Big_K 😀 I don't feel comfortable using thin and tiny gadgets, I have big hands and I still prefer gadgets in normal size 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have to run the commands written in a file on the windows command line. I intend to do this in shell script but cant find a method to open...
Hello Friends, I want to know that which tags are used in HTML 5. Please guys share with me the list of tags that are used in HTML 5 and...
Can any one here give an overview of the electrical system used in two wheelers. i.e the type of battery used, the system voltage, the total number of devices used,...
One of my friend told me that changing the file system of pendrive to NTFS makes data transfer faster, is it true? Whats the difference between both??? Actually all i...
hello everyone. iam ashwin from hyderabad. iam currently doing computer science engineering.i am joining with you since iam very much interested in knowing latest updates in technology. my hobbies are...