Ford Introduces Lightweight Fusion Car

Ford has unveiled a lightweight concept car that weighs 700 pounds (about 318 Kg) less than its in-market mid-sized family sedan counterpart, the Ford Fusion. Ford managed to achieve this by using substitute lightweight alternatives such as high-strength steel, magnesium, aluminium and carbon fiber. As a result, Ford was free to reduce the engine capacity down to a one-liter, three-cylinder EcoBoost engine, which performed same as that of the Ford Fusion. Ford also claimed that this had increased the fuel economy to 45 MPG. But the company kept mum on the market availability of the car.
The research vehicle was developed with the U.S. Department of Energy’s Vehicle Technologies Program, together with Cosma International – a subsidiary of Magna International – to illustrate long-term potential light-weighting solutions.

To shed about 25% of its weight, Ford engineers resorted to the revolutionary materials science products which have made our mobile devices lighter. The concept car's wheels and seats were made of carbon fiber. Hollow steel was used for crankshafts, springs and stabilizer bars. Also, Gorilla Glass, primarily used for smartphone screens was used for the front windshield and plastic was the material of choice for the rear one. For the body, a combination of aluminium, high-strength steel and magnesium instead of carbon fibre, a popular material used for construction of bodies of lightweight vehicles like F1 cars.

ford_concept2

Ford also has striked up a partnership with Samsung's SDI Group to develop lighter and efficient batteries. The partnership has spawned a new two-battery system that uses a combination of Li-ion and Lead Acid batteries. This system will be helpful in making efficient regenerative braking systems available for normal cars. These systems are currently employed only in hybrid cars.

Ford has aimed to reduce pollution from its vehicles to a level of 450 ppm; a global
standard which many international companies and scientists are trying to achieve. It is believed that this level may avoid the most serious effects of climate change. Light weighting is a part of Ford's Blueprint for Sustainability Program which integrates sustainability into the business plan for the long-term preservation and enhancement of environmental, social and financial capital.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    Well that's a commendable job by Ford!. Decreasing the tare weight (around 400 kgs) off the vehicle is a big challenge as latest technology & new features increase the overall weight of the vehicle.
    As mentioned they are using Carbon Fiber, Aluminium & high strength steel which will result to high cost vehicles i.e. made for High End market (Jaguar, BMW & Audi are some who prefer to build its vehicle with it )

light weight concept will also increase the fuel efficiency.

P.S. Resembles to Jaguar XF.😎
  • Chaitanya Kukde
    Chaitanya Kukde
    #-Link-Snipped-# Absolutely! In fact, the materials used for the body have already helped the Ford F 150 truck (to be released in 2015) reduce weight and increase efficiency.
    And pardon me for correcting you, but as a matter of fact, they have used a combination of aluminium, high-strength steel and magnesium INSTEAD of carbon fibre. So price may not be an issue here.
    And you are right! Apart from the front grille, it heavily resembles the Jag. Nice observation 👍
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Great initiative by Ford and I doubt of high pricing here.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    you had quoted that the concept cars seat and wheels were made up of carbon fibre?
    how about hollow steel crankshaft ? Does it have strength for longer run?
  • Chaitanya Kukde
    Chaitanya Kukde
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    Great initiative by Ford and I doubt of high pricing here.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    you had quoted that the concept cars seat and wheels were made up of carbon fibre?
    how about hollow steel crankshaft ? Does it have strength for longer run?
    Hollow steel may not be stronger than solid steel of same dimensions, but has an incredibly higher strength/weight ratio and can resist the same load with much less material used. So, more or less, the durability of crankshaft will be equal to the one used normally.

The amount of carbon fibre material used in seats will be less than the amount required for the entire body. It may escalate the cost, but not by much, in my opinion.
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    Chaitanya Kukde
    #-Link-Snipped-# Absolutely! In fact, the materials used for the body have already helped the Ford F 150 truck (to be released in 2015) reduce weight and increase efficiency.
    And pardon me for correcting you, but as a matter of fact, they have used a combination of aluminium, high-strength steel and magnesium INSTEAD of carbon fibre. So price may not be an issue here.
    And you are right! Apart from the front grille, it heavily resembles the Jag. Nice observation 👍
    You only have mentioned about Using Carbon Fibres in your post & is also mentioned in the link mentioned below.
    "Ford engineers took a holistic approach to weight reduction by incorporating advanced materials into the entire design of the vehicle, including powertrain, chassis, body, battery and interior features such as seats. This Lightweight Concept vehicle represents its most comprehensive blend of advanced materials yet in one vehicle, including strategic application of aluminum, ultra-high-strength steels, magnesium and carbon fiber."

& for price concern have a look here.
    cfvssteel
  • Chaitanya Kukde
    Chaitanya Kukde
    Vikram S Bargah
    You only have mentioned about Using Carbon Fibres in your post & is also mentioned in the link mentioned below.
    "Ford engineers took a holistic approach to weight reduction by incorporating advanced materials into the entire design of the vehicle, including powertrain, chassis, body, battery and interior features such as seats. This Lightweight Concept vehicle represents its most comprehensive blend of advanced materials yet in one vehicle, including strategic application of aluminum, ultra-high-strength steels, magnesium and carbon fiber."

& for price concern have a look here.
    cfvssteel
    I assumed you were talking only about the body of the car. My apologies. And as I have said earlier,
    The amount of carbon fibre material used in seats will be much less than the amount required for the entire body. It may escalate the cost, but not by much, in my opinion.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi Everyone, Find more real time project Ideas here https://www.facebook.com/embeddedproject thanks, Ashok r
If you're planning to automate your home, what features you'd like to have ? What you'd like to automate in your home ? What features you day-dream of ? I...
Gionee, the Chinese mobile equipment manufacturer, has launched a new smartphone called the 'Gionee Pioneer P2S', a smartphone powered by a 1.3 GHz Dual-core Cortex A7 processor. Running on the...
We've been giving away new CrazyEngineers logo stickers to our fellow CEans. Since we're about to put an order for the next batch of stickers; we thought we'd collect some...
Hi all, I have a doubt regarding C Drive Issue occured in production server of our company. If it have a low disk space then we will delete the virus...