Entrepreneurship is not a job; it's a lifestyle - Vinod Kholsa

I spotted above quote while reading Vinod Khosla's Do You Need To Be A Jerk To Be A Successful Entrepreneur? • TechCrunch in TechCrunch about whether one needs to be a jerk to be a successful entrepreneur. Kholsa's article is a response to Ben Austen's article in Wired magazine about Steve Jobs' personality and how it converts into his success. Khosla said, during his entrepreneur days, he sacrificed many things except the family & kids time. He made it a practise to have at least 25 dinners every month during his busiest times and even had a secretary to report on the 'home for dinner' performance.

Khosla says that once you decide what's important and what your goals are; you won't feel that you're giving up much.

So entrepreneurship and startups is basically a lifestyle - it's just a representation of who you are and how you think. It's definitely not a job as people would understand. Job is something you 'have to do', entrepreneurship on the other hand is something you 'want to do'. What do you think about this?

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    People who really are jerks, don't need inspiration from outside. I was afraid that article was going fully justify Job's behavior. I agree it takes drive to reach your passion, but disagree that you have to treat others poorly in order to do so. I would never let myself get to the point where people are afraid to stand next to me in the elevator. 😲

If people really are doing jobs because they 'have to do', they are in some serious trouble (either financially or mentally), and it might crack down on them some sad day.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm of course not counting LinkedIn which is the 'professional' networking and there are a ton of people who've found jobs via LinkedIn. I'm asking about finding jobs via the...
This post is intended for the super-rich CEans who might be interested in knowing how to park your brand new Lamborghini in your Hamilton building. We've a video demonstration for...
Name: Yash Engineering Trade: Computer Science/Engineering Location: Mumbai Occupation: Student/Employed/Confused Work Experience: No Relative Experience Hobbies & Interests: Digital Designing(Photoshop/Illustrator),Messing with things i don't understand but would want to understand...
The 2012 Zero Robotics Competition has started on September 8th 2012. It is competition organized by Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in Cambridge, Mass. You can check its official promotional...
The Earth Sustainable Technology Venture Competition for MBA, Engineering or any other graduate and under-graduate students is here to bring sustainable technologies to market through entrepreneurship. Going from national to...