English Language: Challenge Lies In Using Simpler Words To Communicate
I'll dedicate this debate to all those who're preparing for GRE. I sometimes get frustrated to see most of these guys use totally alien words in their communication - that make no sense to the listener / reader. What's more annoying is that these words are used with some context, which is often skipped. Here's an example -
I'm flabbergasted to hear this news!
If your audience (friend, colleague) doesn't know the meaning of the word, they won't make out whether you were shocked, saddened, got happy, got annoyed or whatever. Why not simply say I'm totally 'excited' instead?
The word is appropriate when you were 'greatly surprised' and not 'just surprised'. My example may not be most appropriate here, but I'm sure you're getting the point. That brings me to the point of debate - Do you think the real challenge in using English for communication (or any other language) likes in using simpler words to communicate than using words that aren't most commonly used (unless you're a native English speaker)?