Dual booting fedora16 in unallocated space

Previously i dual booted f15 with w7,,

now i am trying to install f16 during installation i tried following trials..

1. i kept one partition empty in w7 and tried to install f16 in that partition by using "use free space" type of installation. but it didn't work.

2. In w7 i made the partition as unallocated and tried to install with same option even it didn't work. These two options worked well with f14 and f15

3. Finally, i tried with create custom layout option, but i couldn't know the exact procedure to install with this option
in select a device menu it showing only
sda1 --- system reserved partition
sda2 --- w7 installation partition
sda3 --- remaining partitions(though there are 3 partitions ) it showing a single one

so i chose sda3 but being not certain that it may cause any data loss,, i didn't dare to continue installation....

Is there any solution for this problem???

Replies

• KenJackson
    KenJackson
    kamba giri
    3. Finally, i tried with create custom layout option, but i couldn't know the exact procedure to install with this option
    in select a device menu it showing only
    sda1 --- system reserved partition
    sda2 --- w7 installation partition
    sda3 --- remaining partitions(though there are 3 partitions ) it showing a single one

so i chose sda3 but being not certain that it may cause any data loss,, i didn't dare to continue installation....

Disks have four partitions and one can become an extended partition. Linux needs at least two--a large one for data (the "root" partition) and a small one for swap. So you're scheme looks like it should work. Don't touch sda1 or sda2, and allow Fedora to create sda3 and sda4 for data and swap (in either order).

Alternately, it can create separate partitions to mount /usr, /home and /var on, which it will probably do for you in an extended partition if you let it or ask it. But for almost all home users, it's quite sufficient to just make one big root partition.

Naturally, the standard warning applies: Make sure you backup your Windows partition before installation.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am Civil Engineer and doing consultancy in Project Management wiht more 30 years in various fields like power, roads, traffic marine works etc.
hey, what is the difference between a program and a process running on a given operating system? regards, proffy
hi, it is impossible to check absolute memory address at compile time to assure protection in terms of memory management. What does absolute memory address actually mean? can a memory...
Hello friends, I would like to inquire if defragmentation process results in extra disk free space or in reduced disk free space. I mean does defragmentation process creates some free...
Hi everyone ,i am new to this community... I just entered the final year of my B.E.CSE career... As there is discussion going on in my college ,abt the TCS...