Download VLC 2.1 Update Today! Here's What's New

VideoLAN, the awesome company that makes the most popular media player in the world, VLC, has pushed a major update for Windows, OSX, uBuntu, Android, iOS and other operating systems. The update is officially called 'Rincewind' and brings several new features to the player. VLC now has a new audio core that brings both better performance and audio fidelity along with full support for surround sound outputs. There are new effects and support for new metadata formats for audio.

largeVLC

VLC 2.1 also ports the OpenGL output to OpenGL ES. It makes porting from iOS to android much easier than before. The biggest update - VLC is now ready for your 4K videos to be played on your 4K monitors. The app improves MKV compatibility offering better performance and subtitle metadata support.

OSX users will be happy to see the UI advances. The playback menu can now be customised. The VLC 2.1 allows videos to be played as desktop background.

Download the latest version of VLC from source link.

Source: VLC: Official site - Free multimedia solutions for all OS! - VideoLAN

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Why the audio quality degrades if i increase the volume of it over 100? Does the new updated vlc have a better solution to it?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The output would ultimately depend on the speaker quality as well. You'll have to explain what exactly you notice once you boost volume past 100.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Gonna update VLC today 😁

SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    Why the audio quality degrades if i increase the volume of it over 100? Does the new updated vlc have a better solution to it?
    Over 100% volume is just increase in total decibel output, and quality should be decreased.

If you want to test your speaker and headphone just search in YouTube Zariya-Coke Studio by A.R. Rehmaan. This is awesome song with so many variations. Test this song with good headphone you can able to find if your speaker is lagging.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    It is 'Rincewind' ,isn't it ?

Screenshot from 2013-09-29 03:11:23

Finally, Nvidia users got VDPAU Hardware decoding feature !
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I like that they have added subtitle menu option in bar.
    [​IMG]
    Image Courtesy: VLC: Official site - Free multimedia solutions for all OS! - VideoLAN
    👍

I am looking for floating VLC skin for desktop. not border or menu, just video like YouTube floating in android.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    @#-Link-Snipped-# Whoa! You're using KDE !!

I am waiting for opus to become as famous as m4a & mp3. So, I can play opus extension files (Higher bitrate & Less space consuming : Perfect combination can be obtained from opus only)

Waiting for x265 to develop asap!
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    No, I am not using KDE, that image is from VLC official site.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Downloaded the new version and here is a few things I noticed on first look. The VLC logo in the middle of the screen now fades out and in when the video starts and ends respectively. The Volume slider does not stay at the middle its now.
    But they still haven't addressed my biggest concern, support for external codecs. While other players like K-Lite Codec player and KM Player give you options to add additional codecs VLC is yet to implement this feature.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Steve Ballmer moved to tears while addressing a gathering of about 1000+ Microsoft employees; which was his last address as the CEO of Microsoft. He played Michael Jackson's 'Wanna be...
If you aren't feeling lucky, we'd like you to check this cool easter egg Google's rolled out to celebrate their 15th birthday. Search 'Google in 1998' on Google search and...
Quote Engineers from the Vienna University of Technology have developed a device that lets users walk freely through virtual worlds whilst remaining in one place in the real world. Endquote...
Website owners, take note! Google's new search algorithm now called 'Hummingbird' has been launched. Being the first major upgrade in the last three years, Google has now shared that the...
what are social sdks ? i never come across this term but i think itz useful