What makes Steve Ballmer so passionate about Microsoft?

Steve Ballmer moved to tears while addressing a gathering of about 1000+ Microsoft employees; which was his last address as the CEO of Microsoft. He played Michael Jackson's 'Wanna be starrin somethin' during his speech and also jumped and danced on the stage. This wasn't the first time he's done it. Many of you might have seen this famous video -

Of course, Steve Ballmer's been with Microsoft since 1980 and has seen the company grow from a few employees to a mega world-wide corporation. Under his leadership, Microsoft ventured into several new businesses and made a lot of key acquisitions - including Skype, Nokia and buying stake in Facebook.

I wonder what makes Steve so passionate about Microsoft that he jumps, dances and cries for it.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    No one wants to express opinions here? Do you feel equally passionate about the company you're working for?
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Steve Ballmer is emotional because he cared about the growth of the company and did not see him as just an employee working for his paycheck but as someone who was personally responsible for the company's growth. You see some top tier guys switching companies constantly for a higher remuneration but he never ditched the company in what seemed as bad times (Xbox Licensing issues, Windows 8 etc). His departure was rather sudden and I think that perhaps he wanted to make more improvements before he left.
    When it comes to Indians however, I think money comes first rather than love for the company. I see most guys working in IT companies who switch companies the minute they get the required experience and proficiency in their fields. Its sad to see such things happening but here is the thing, when we find something better, we tend to leave the latter.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - Nice observation. But Ballmer did know about his retirement time already. It wasn't a sudden exit for him for sure. There are really very few people who're really passionate about their jobs and the work they do. I think Steve Ballmer was one of them. You need a lot of courage to dance in front of a corporate gathering and sing song or chant 'Developer Developer Developer'.

Having been with Microsoft for so ~3 decades, I think it was obvious that he was emotional at the time of addressing the last company wide meet. I believe Microsoft's success in the ventures they forayed into in the last decade is majorly because of Steve's leadership and enthusiasm. Of course, he was instrumental in building up a culture that has helped the company thrive in turbulant times.

I'd kill for such an associate!
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Microsoft is baby for him. He made that place happen. And now hes leaving. Emotions flood in.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If you aren't feeling lucky, we'd like you to check this cool easter egg Google's rolled out to celebrate their 15th birthday. Search 'Google in 1998' on Google search and...
Quote Engineers from the Vienna University of Technology have developed a device that lets users walk freely through virtual worlds whilst remaining in one place in the real world. Endquote...
Website owners, take note! Google's new search algorithm now called 'Hummingbird' has been launched. Being the first major upgrade in the last three years, Google has now shared that the...
what are social sdks ? i never come across this term but i think itz useful
can you please clear my doubt...... the use of field winding is to increase or decrease the spreed of the rheoastat ?