CROSS SECTION OF DAM

why the cross section of the dam varies?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Based on the type of DAM and the area where the dam is built the cross section of the Dams have to vary

Otherwise the stability of the Dam can't be assured
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Cross Section of the DAM depends on what is the size of the river you are trying to collect. The area available around. Plus it also depends on where you want to turn the river, the size of child stream. What all features your DAM has, integrated power plant or something. I think all these are the factors that matter in determining the cross section of the DAM
  • NAVATHE SACHIN
    NAVATHE SACHIN
    Im not asking about dependent factors.Cross section of any dam varies compulsory but why?
  • Saiwal
    Saiwal
    N.SACHIN
    Im not asking about dependent factors.Cross section of any dam varies compulsory but why?
    the base is thicker than the top because the hydrostatic pressure varies. The pressure: P=h*d*g ; therefore to resist higher pressure at the bottom, the wall is made thicker. Hope this helps.
  • NAVATHE SACHIN
    NAVATHE SACHIN
    As the altitude(Height) increases pressure decreases,similarly as the altitude decreases pressure increases(i.e: p=hdg).Therefore in order to resist high pressure at the bottom,the wall is made thicker. Thanqs to all friends who tried to say answers.
  • srinivasa rao
    srinivasa rao
    Cross section depends the Height of Dam.Height of dam depends on Natural ground Levels.If generally NGL (Natural Ground level)is low the bottom width is more and vice versa. According to sections varies.Itmeans cross sections are depending on NGL's

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If some one slaps on your cheek,what is the temperature at the point of contact(between hand and cheek) and How much amount of work done received by you?
Yes I am damn serious friends.I had been a member since 2010 but active for past three months but CE has lost its golden touch.Its thirst to innovate,educate and enlightement.Yes...
I want to know which video converter do the best job in Conversion of Video files.I had tried the following video converters and only some of them satisfied me .They...
I had been struggling these days to save the files in my pc but due to excess size of files I was forced to delete the files.Please suggest me the...
I know it's quite late. But here's toast to the deads who are reason why India is free now. Toast to all the unsung heroes/Freedom fighters who sacrificed their life...