Can two points on a superconductor have a potential difference?

Bare with me if this is stupid (I've been away from my electrical engineering roots for really long time now). I was wondering if the medium affects the potential difference between any two points. When we say there's a potential difference - it's relative. But when the medium is super-conducting - can the potential difference still exist?

I read that even the superconductors offer some, but negligible, resistance to the flow of electrons. But under ideal superconducting situations, the two points under consideration would be one and the same (theoretically).

What I want to know does the medium influence the PD between two points in electrical circuits.

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I read that even the superconductors offer some, but negligible, resistance to the flow of electrons. But under ideal superconducting situations, the two points under consideration would be one and the same (theoretically).

What I want to know does the medium influence the PD between two points in electrical circuits.
    Nope, In critical temperature there is no resistance.Thus no PD.
    I think SC is obtained at -273 degree C, which is nothing but a parameter of ideal condition.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Super conductors the motion of electrons is in par with the vibration of molecules

thus the resistance is almost zero

Here the resistivity drops to zero But no clear statement about the resistance of the material

But Since resistance is product of resistivity we have theoretically zero resistance in Super conductor
  • Ahsanul haque
    Ahsanul haque
    Superconductivity is a phenomenon of exactly zero electrical resistance and expulsion of magnetic fields occurring in certain materials when cooled below a characteristic critical temperature. thanks
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    By definition there can be no PD in a super conductor for any current. If there is then it is no more a superconductor.
    There was a major national project in India on room temperature superconductivity. Though nothing much came of it.
    125 deg K is the highest temperature at which super conductivity has been recorded.
    There are many commercial system already using superconductors.
    Here are some examples:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Okay, if there's no potential difference between the two points on a superconductor (at whatever sub-zero temperature), how does the current flow? 😨

PS: I don't like when it all comes down to the basics.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Conductor by itself doesn't have p.d. Current flows through it when p.d. is applied across it.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anand Tamariya
    Conductor by itself doesn't have p.d. Current flows through it when p.d. is applied across it.
    Right. But you need potential difference for the electrons to flow. If superconductors allow the current to flow without potential difference, what determines the direction of the current?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    that is taken care by the external potential applied

Bro Do note Resistance is an intrinsic property based and Potential difference is an extrinsic property

So Potential applied to the ends of the conductor "Externally" determines the direction of current

Whereas the molecular arrangement inside of the conductor Plays a role in determining the resistance offered by the conductor
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Right. But you need potential difference for the electrons to flow. If superconductors allow the current to flow without potential difference, what determines the direction of the current?
    That is an important question. Another way to look at it is that if a current flows through a resistance, then a PD will appear. Let us consider a super conducting solenoid coil. If a DC source is connected across this with a suitable current limiter, a current starts flowing. If the ends of the coil can now be shorted with a superconducting switch, a permanent magnet will result because the current will keep passing for ever in the coil. The DC supply can now be removed. The direction of current flow will be what was initially given.

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    Ideally, there will be no PD across any two points. But, practically it's not possible to attain complete superconductivity. So, there will be a PD. This is just my opinion.
  • Prashant Munshi
    Prashant Munshi
    Actually Kaustubh has raised the question of if PD will exist on two points on Super Conductor. There will not be since there will be no resistivity. Then the question raised is if there is no PD then why should current flow through a Super Conductor? PD on two points on any conductor comes from the drop in potential due to resistance of the conductor it offers to the current flowing through it. The amount of such potential drop will be calculated as per Ohm's law (neglecting reactance offered by the conductor). But when you ask flow of current through a Super Conductor, it is not the PD between two points (read potential drop) on the conductor which causes current to flow but the current flows for PD applied to the conductor or Super Conductor by a PD generating device, a generator, battery, thermocouple or anything else. The difference is applied potential and drop in potential. Applied potential makes the current flow, the drop in potential is result of the flow of the current. I hope that explains.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : That makes it more clear, thank you!
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    mreccentric
    Ideally, there will be no PD across any two points. But, practically it's not possible to attain complete superconductivity. So, there will be a PD. This is just my opinion.
    Practical super conductors are in very low temperature till now

Superconductivity is proven in lower temp and so Zero PD is achievable
  • ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    Conqueror
    Practical super conductors are in very low temperature till now

Superconductivity is proven in lower temp and so Zero PD is achievable
    Superconductivity is ideal. At low temperatures, near-to-superconductivity is achieved, but not exact superconductivity.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In airplanes, the wings have these small outlets that act as 'ground'. Ideally used when the lightening strikes (from what I've read). So when flying, airplanes do use Air as...
I happened to read about Intel Haswell CPU and GPU on AnandTech. Not very familiar with the architecture myself, but a general question popped up in my head whether Haswell...
New test dates for TOEFL iBTest are August 10, 16, and 31 and September 7, 13 and 27 in some cities in India. ETS has decided to waive late fee...
Do you remember 2011 Tokyo Earthquake, 2010 Chile, 2008 China, Earthquakes on J&K, Gujarat, California and many more? These are just a few I named here, but there were many...
Ever thought that how difficult it is for cleaning the glass of sky touching skycrappers with glass windows. Life of window cleaners just hangs on a rope. A group of...