Blackberry Torch 9800 Launched In India For Rs. 35,000/-

Canadian company Research In Motion (RIM) has officially launched it's 'best blackberry ever', the Torch 9800 in India. The smartphone that sports BlackBerry OS 6 is priced at Rs. 35,000/-. The phone has slide-screen that reveals the full QWERTY keyboard. The phone has both full touch screen and keyboard for those who don't like to use the touch features.

The phone has all the latest smartphone features including 3G connectivity, Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n), GPS, a 5MP camera, Bluetooth 2.1 etc. The display is 3.2” HVGA that supports touch screen at resolution 480x360. However, it is important to consider whether the phone is worth the money? Let's see, what are the top 5 things that may not make this phone a great buy -

1.  648 MHz processor, not 1GHz

Now that 1GHz has already become the benchmark for almost all the smartphones, Blackberry Torch only has 648Mhz processor. It makes this new device pale as compared to other smart phones available in the same price-range. Samsung GalaxyS could be a better choice over BB Torch. Few of the customers have complained about the sluggish performance of the device. We wonder what made RIM fit a slower processor in this device. Maybe they're planning to include it in Torch 2?

2. 480x360 display, not 960x640

Apple iPhone's Retina Display that supports 960x640 resolution surely outshines this phone. If RIM say that this is the best blackberry ever - they should have considered a screen that supports higher resolution.

#-Link-Snipped-#
Blackberry Torch In India

3. 5.5 hours of GSM Talktime

Blackberry Torch has 1,300 mAHr battery. Sure, this can get the things done; but the other smart phones in the same range already have a longer talktime available.  For the price, it's obvious to expect more talk time.

4. Where's the front facing camera?

Now that 3G is being announced in various networks in India, video calls is surely going to be the next thing - however, this 3G capable phone does not have a front facing camera! Surely a huge miss!

5. Only 7,000 apps.

For most of the 'business' users, blackberry apps store already has enough stuff, however for the non-business users will find this very limited choice. If Blackberry wants to be the phone of choice for young generation, they MUST add more apps to their app store.

If you love the blackberry brand, it's best advisable to wait for the next release of Blackberry device. This phone is surely not worth the money.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Chile's president couldn't have been wrong with his decision to appoint Er. Andre Sougarret on the mission of rescuing the miners stuck deep in a gold mine in Chile, before...
Before I go further, I want to set my own definitions of Silicon Valley right. By Silicon Valley, I do not refer to a bunch of start-ups & multi-billion corporations...
Samsung Electronics has launched the Samsung Galaxy Tab in India for a price or Rs. 38,000. For technical specifications and an overview, please visit following thread on CE Forums: Samsung...
He changed the world of communications forever. His invention in 1970s helps you keep in touch with your near & dear ones no matter where you are. This MENSA International...
I have this fantastic news for all the BSNL 3G customers. One of my contacts called me a few minutes ago to introduce this awesome offer to me - 1....