Can India Build A Silicon Valley?

Before I go further, I want to set my own definitions of Silicon Valley right. By Silicon Valley, I do not refer to a bunch of start-ups & multi-billion corporations providing services to the world with almost no innovation to touch the lives of common people. I specifically mean a bunch of start-ups & big corporations that rely heavily on innovation and research to produce world-class products, services and utilities. Even two decades after its foray into the world of Information Technology, it's sad and surprising that India wasn't able to come up with it's own Google, Microsoft, Apple, FourSquare, Ebay and so on. I am not neglecting few of the startups that did - but remained mostly limited to specific regions or India. There are few start-ups that need time, however they are so scarce in number compared to the number of engineers work in the IT.

I believe in any country, start-ups are majorly responsible for bringing innovation and economic growth. For if a start-up is successful, it generates wealth & employment. I believe India has most of the the basic ingredients necessary for building its own silicon valley except the social acceptance of failure of entrepreneurs. There are thousands of talented entrepreneurs in India, with many Earth-Shattering start-up ideas working in Indian MNCs but they won't quit their jobs to build start-ups on their ideas.

The reason behind this reluctance to work for star-ups or build their own start-ups comes from the social pressure - to settle early, to get married early and build your own home early; preferably by 30. If you are 25 and not earning money - you are treated as a failure and a social outcast. Many entrepreneurs cannot withstand this pressure and give up. What could have been then next Google just rusts inside the brains of these talented engineers as they continue their mundane coding jobs.

Can we build a society that can accept the failed entrepreneurs and treat them as heroes who have a wealth of experience of start-ups?  In India, where parents have a major say in their kid's career path; can we teach them to allow their sons/daughters to take up entrepreneurship at least for 3 after they graduate? Can we motivate the budding entrepreneurs to actually give up campus recruitment or their current corporate jobs to follow their own ideas & dreams?

If yes, it won't take us to build a silicon valley.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Samsung Electronics has launched the Samsung Galaxy Tab in India for a price or Rs. 38,000. For technical specifications and an overview, please visit following thread on CE Forums: Samsung...
He changed the world of communications forever. His invention in 1970s helps you keep in touch with your near & dear ones no matter where you are. This MENSA International...
I have this fantastic news for all the BSNL 3G customers. One of my contacts called me a few minutes ago to introduce this awesome offer to me - 1....
No surprises, folks! We knew this would be coming. Even after several delays in implementation of Mobile Number Portability, the TRAI (Telecom Regulatory Authority Of India) had confirmed that the...
Tata Teleservices owned Tata Docomo is India's first private network operator in India to launch 3G services. The company has announced that its 3G services will be launched on the...