any more famous engineers?

Will we see any more world-famous engineers from a multitude of disiplines that the mass public knows? Has specialization ended that trend of "Rennaisance engineers"? Will there be any more DaVincis, Edisons, Teslas, George w. Carvers? Are there any today, if so whom and why do you think they qualify?

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    ok, to help kick this off here's an example:

dr. yoshiro alkanets- described as the world's greatest inventor with 3,200+ inventions, including the floppy disk, cd & digital watch.

yet if you ask people nobody has heard of him? Why is this happening?
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    I regret I have not heard his name either. I guess Mr. Yoshiro needs to get himself a good PR agent and should start advertising himself.
  • gohm
    gohm
    But famous engineers like mentioned in my first post had no PR person, yet every Joe Public knows the names. Is this not the case anymore? Why have we not seen any multiple disciplined engineers that are world famous ?
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    There were few engineers and thinkers/philosophers then. Moreover education was not that developed. Such guys were few, who dared to think differently and challenge the old ideas refusing to follow like sheep.
    Nowadays there are so many engineers coming out each day and so many discoveries or inventions going around. Whenever a genius engineer or scientist comes up with anything, someone betters it a month later. Engineers are quite common. Nowadays, you need to have business skills and good PR skills with your engineering skills to be known.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I think the perception has changed these days. Back then, inventions were cool and rarer compared to today. This time you have a multitude of inventors.. and most invent for business purposes (with exception of people like Yoshiro and Tim Berners Lee).

Unless the public wishes to dig through millions of patent applications and engineering journals, its hard to find a "famous" engineer unless he/she really gets exposed more. Like maybe post on CrazyEngineers or something ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    This one comes to my mind now.. Ever heard of Woody Norris?? I watched a video of his in Youtube. He's a pretty good 'inventor', it seems..

Here's the video:

[youtube][/youtube]

Wat say guys??
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    And as for why engineers are not famous anymore, one thing is they have become way too much to keep track of.
    And as already said, anything invented or any breakthrough created will be bettered very soon.

Apart from these, one main reason for this, I think, is that we have gotten more business oriented and profit minded.
    Every company which has some engineer who invents something new, immediately patents the technology under the company banner and then it becomes the property of the company. Then we know the technology by the company name and the engineer is easily forgotten.
    Private researches who dont work for big establishments with a money making mind are far rewer and even if there are some, they lack the resources that would be available to them had they been with a big company..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm approaching this man for the Small Talk. Thanks for sharing this, SilverScorpion!
  • gohm
    gohm
    good find!
  • g_rakesh2
    g_rakesh2

but there is a world famous engineer "

he is none other than Osama Bin Laden. he is a civil engineer...

๐Ÿ˜

• gohm
    gohm
    He is not famous for his civil engineering so he does not count, there are many famous people in other fields with engineering degrees. We are looking for people famous in engineering, regardless of their study background. =)
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    How about Abdul Kalam a great Engineer ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • gohm
    gohm
    tell us about him, why do you think he qualifies?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

ive just started learning c++ ... in c++ if class emp { int a; public: void md(int r) { a=r; } int add(emp e2) { return(a+e2.a);// doubt !!! } }...
Hi all, ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ Lets congratulate the PRIDE of our nation A.R Rahman Congo to Slumdog, won 8 oscars... Jai Ho! Aaja aaja jind shamiyaane ke taley Aaja zari waale neele...
hi, we will hav a discussion on clashes between them. both lawyers and police has to work together to solve a problem but they are creating problem and demolishing public's...
Name: Eze Engineering Trade: Student Manufacturing (automotive) Location: Melbourne Australia Occupation: Student (RMIT) Unemployed (left job to study) Lazy (dont cook my own meals) Work Experience: bout 5 years in...
As BlackBerry fans, you can't miss the BlackBerry Storm. At Nov 6th, 2008, the word on the street is that Best Buys around the colonies was start taking pre-orders for...