About fins

Fins are extended surfaces, which helps to increase heat transfer by convection,(employing newton's law of cooling) since the exposed surface area has been increased.

the best example of its application are I.c engines and reciprocating compressors ,which use circumferential fins.

Now will it make any difference, if the fins were to be attached separately to the engine body, or should the fins be cast integral to the body only ?

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    No replies here ?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Fins are indeed extended surfaces for heat transfer. Not necessarily on engines or compressors or other equipment that require cooling. In many applications they are used to heat gases. Also the principle is not just Newton's law of radiation.
    All gases have very poor thermal conductivities. In any heat transfer what are called film coefficients control the heat transfer. The reciprocal of the overall heat transfer coefficient is the sum of the reciprocals of individual coefficients, which means that the overall coefficient will be more like the minimum coefficient. One way to get round the problem is to have a much larger surface area on the side with the least coefficient. Hence fins. Since the contact coefficients are high there is no need to have integral fins. In the industry quite often the fins are crimped on or brazed on. Since the coefficient of conduction in metal is hundreds of times more than that on the gas film side any metal compatible with the gas can be used. The great advantage of this is that the fins can be of a much cheaper metal than the tube carrying the fluid.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    thank you sir, now i know what i needed to know.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

in order to assure the flow of air in one particular direction, then in which direction should the blades be bent laterally ? can anyone explain in detail
Hi All I am a software engineer with 2yr of experience in an MNC. What opportunities do I get if I pursue MS with GATE. Does it really worth writing...
Hii i am new to this forum and i am here to get details about placement papers and selection process of different software companies..
hi m doing major project "fingerprint scanning" in java.pls tell me about the modules for this....pls soon my id is ...plzzzzz
I am doing my final year of engineering under computer science.We have been divided into different batches an allotted with guides.My guide has informed us to choose the project on...