YouTube will be the new DTH channel in India

Google India is in talks with several Direct To Home (DTH) operators in India to deliver YouTube videos directly to your television sets. Francisco Varela, who heads platform partnerships at YouTube informed Economic Times. Varela said that India is one of the fastest growing markets for Google's video service and the company wants to expand their user base by reaching out to people who do not have Internet access. Varela promised that the service will be launched as soon as possible so that users can access YouTube on every screen in every possible way.

youtube-dth

We do not know which of the DTH service providers viz Tata Sky, DishTV, AirTel, Videocon D2H, Reliance Digital and Sun Direct will offer YouTube and in what way. Several of the latest smart TVs being offered by manufacturers like Sony, Samsung and LG have video sharing facilities integrated - but they all need to be connected to the Internet to access YouTube. DTH service, on the other hand, won't require users to have Internet access. It'd be interesting to see how the technology behind this integration will work. YouTube as a new TV channel on DTH services in India would surely open up new possibilities. It'd be a channel where the content will be international - and created directly by the users.

The #-Link-Snipped-# YouTube has, are mind boggling! The site's already beyond a billion unique visitors a month and serves 6 billion hours of video every month. Every minute, users from all over the world upload about 100 hours of video, making it the biggest video site in the world.

We'd keep an eye on the integration of YouTube with DTH services in India. We hope it will be offered free of cost!

Source: Google in talks with DTH cable providers to bring YouTube to TV screens - The Economic Times

Replies

• micheal john
    micheal john
    its cool, but dont know % price hike by the service providers!
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Google seems to be right now just in talks with the service providers. Nothing is finalized yet. I for one, find this news really interesting and useful. There's nothing on TV worth watching. The global content delivered by YouTube is much more watch-able and like-able. I can't remember the last time I must've switched the television ON and actually found something worth sitting back and watching.

YouTube on TV. TV should be YouTube and Vimeo.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Youtube as full time TV - definitely not for me!!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi friends doing my project on reconfiguration of radial distribution network, my lecturer ask me to Using GA.. can any body help me to do with the matlab coding for...
Tata Motors India has officially launched the all-new Tata Nano CNG emax variant in the Indian market today. Bearing an official starting price tag of Rs 2.40 lakh (ex-showroom, New...
Did anyone notice the new irctc page looks...looks cool to me ..untill it delivers the required pace at tatkal timings...
The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) shall soon be launching a mobile application that lets people apply and pay for their passports via smartphones. Developed by TCS, the new app...
I am fortunate and privileged to be part of elite 500 developers across the globe to participate in Intel App Innovation Contest 2013 with three applications. Challenge here for me...