Your Low-End Device Might get Kit-Kat 4.4 update.

In October, Google is going to ship KitKat 4.4, but we don't know the accurate date. however, few Samsung devices like : Galaxy Note III, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S4 Mini, Galaxy Note 8.0 & upcoming Galaxy Note 12.2 are confirmed to get KitKat 4.4 update.

Latest iteration of Android i.e KitKat 4.4 will be using latest Linux Kernel (ofcourse forked) which is going to support the devices with low memory.
So, some devices like Galaxy Y which is sold most in Asian countries due to it's cheapest price which didn't got any upgrade since 2.3.6 (GB) will might get update to latest Kitkat 4.4

This is one great news for all low-end device users, because even if you don't get update. Due to lower memory consumption the ROM can be ported for your low-end device.

Here's list of few samsung devices which are said to be getting KitKat update :
- Grand
- Galaxy Y
- S3
- Mini
- Beam
- Express
- Note I
- S2
- Fame

The latest iteration is no ordinary update, KitKat might become most used version of Android by the end of 2013, just because it will be available for low memory devices & ofcourse all mid-end & high-end devices.

Isn't it awesome update by Google ? Are you excited, CEans ? Drop your thoughts below.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That's a breaking news! At present, Jelly Bean has the biggest share among all the Android flavours. Does anyone know what kind of core updates KitKat brings to Android that allows it to be run on lower end phones?
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I am pretty happy that the list contains my low end samsung galaxy young phone. Waiting for abhishek to check it and post the procedure in future.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Does anyone know what kind of core updates KitKat brings to Android that allows it to be run on lower end phones?
    I read that Google have revamped the Linux kernel. Few feature that include in new kernel are :
    - Lower memory footprint
    - F2FS Support (Improves performance & life of NAND based storage devices, SSD)
    - Low battery consuming sensors, hence increased battery life.
    - Support for nVidia Tegra & Samsung Exynos DRM support

SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    I am pretty happy that the list contains my low end samsung galaxy young phone. Waiting for abhishek to check it and post the procedure in future.
    It is rumored that Samsung soon will be rolling Kernel update for the devices which will get official KitKat update. Keep your eyes on update, If you get update, consider that you're lucky because Y has just 289 MB RAM which is half the size of rumored RAM requirement.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Low battery consuming sensors? Isn't that more of a hardware thing than the firmware thing? If the sensors in the older phones are anyways battery consuming; KitKat won't be able to do much on that front.

What it can do is optimise on the processes (sorry for my very limited Android knowledge) and reduce the overall memory footprint of the operating system itself.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Being honest, I don't know how native-sensors work & how power will be saved.
    Android developers can explain this briefly.

I am very much happy that Samsung's File-system F2FS is merged in latest fork of Kernel for Android.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I like the way the call button is placed(in screen).Home screen looks simple and neat with ease of navigation.Waiting to see it with my naked eyes .
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Update : KitKat 4.4 will be released on 14th October alongwith Nexus 5.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pardon me for typo, It's not Samsung Y (GT-S5360) which will get update of KitKat, as it is very low in memory : Just 289 MB.
    New Samsung Young (S6312) which is shipped with 4.1.2 stock ROM, will get update of KitKat 4.4 .
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    They refresh GUI, make it 'flat' and then call it new Android. ๐Ÿ‘Ž
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    They refresh GUI, make it 'flat' and then call it new Android. ๐Ÿ‘Ž
    Flat icons are uber sexy.

Anyways, they have worked alot in making this version compatible to low-end devices, made million people happy who have phone of around 6-10K; that is New Android.

The F2FS benchmark against EXT4 & BTRFS, which is exceptionally good for NAND Flash drive; that is NEW Android.

With revamped Kernel 3.8 (hence better multitasking support & low memory footprint)

Redesigned stock applications (like dialer,messaging,etc)

Exclusive cloud system, especially for Android users & Palette-themes.

What I mean is, these updates are tonnes better than releasing whack white metal piece with new OS which is inspired of Android OS & feature copied from Unity "Chameleon-effect", add $15 fingerprint scanner & people with peanut size brain buys it. ๐Ÿ˜
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Abhishek Rawal
    - Grand
    - Galaxy Y
    - S3
    - Mini
    - Beam
    - Express
    - Note I
    - S2
    - Fame
    Great NEWS !
    How ever just thinking how the hell one can keep S2 and S3 in low end devices?

-CB
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Update :
    Here's the list of devices which will be receiving Kitkat 4.4 update soon.

Sony

* Sony Xperia Z1
    * Sony Xperia Z
    * Sony Xperia Z Ultra
    * Sony Xperia ZL
    * Sony Xperia Tablet Z

HTC

* HTC One
    * HTC One X+
    * HTC One X
    * New Desire series phones launched in 2013
    * HTC Droid DNA
    * HTC J
    * HTC Butterfly

LG

* LG G2
    * LG Nexus 4
    * LG Optimus L7, L5, L3
    * LG Optimus G
    * LG Optimus G Pro
    * LG Optimus VU

Samsung

* Samsung Galaxy S4
    * Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom
    * Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
    * Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    * Samsung Galaxy Mega (no confirmation whether the 5.8, 6.3 or both)
    * Samsung Galaxy S3
    * Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    * Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
    * Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 & Tab 2

PS : I see no low-end devices with Kitkat 4.4 update. Maybe these companies are aiming to satisfy their high-end users first. Let's wait if any mid-range or low-end device with 512 MB RAM gonna receive 4.4 update or not.

Source : #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Abhishek Rawal
    Update :
    Here's the list of devices which will be receiving Kitkat 4.4 update soon.
    Samsung
    * Samsung Galaxy S4
    * Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom
    * Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
    * Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    * Samsung Galaxy Mega (no confirmation whether the 5.8, 6.3 or both)
    * Samsung Galaxy S3
    * Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    * Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
    * Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 & Tab 2
    Why the hell Samsung Galaxy S2 is not there in the list... I am ANNOYED ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ
    Waiting for mid and low end (512MB ) Ram phones to receive update
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Anil Jain
    Why the hell Samsung Galaxy S2 is not there in the list... I am ANNOYED ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ
    They made it clear that JB is the last update S2 is getting officially.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Anil Jain
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Where there is Opensource, there's always a way ๐Ÿ‘

I am quite sure that CMTeam will release official 4.4 image for S2, soon.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I just got a firmware upgrade on my Note II and I thought it was Kit Kat. After the upgrade, it still says Android 4.3.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I just got a firmware upgrade on my Note II and I thought it was Kit Kat. After the upgrade, it still says Android 4.3.
    Which kernel version is it after update ?
  • yogi.bharadwaj
    yogi.bharadwaj
    Abhishek Rawal
    In October, Google is going to ship KitKat 4.4, but we don't know the accurate date. however, few Samsung devices like : Galaxy Note III, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S4 Mini, Galaxy Note 8.0 & upcoming Galaxy Note 12.2 are confirmed to get KitKat 4.4 update.

Latest iteration of Android i.e KitKat 4.4 will be using latest Linux Kernel (ofcourse forked) which is going to support the devices with low memory.
    So, some devices like Galaxy Y which is sold most in Asian countries due to it's cheapest price which didn't got any upgrade since 2.3.6 (GB) will might get update to latest Kitkat 4.4

This is one great news for all low-end device users, because even if you don't get update. Due to lower memory consumption the ROM can be ported for your low-end device.

- Grand
    - Galaxy Y
    - S3
    - Mini
    - Beam
    - Express
    - Note I
    - S2
    - Fame

The latest iteration is no ordinary update, KitKat might become most used version of Android by the end of 2013, just because it will be available for low memory devices & ofcourse all mid-end & high-end devices.

Isn't it awesome update by Google ? Are you excited, CEans ? Drop your thoughts below.
    friends i lisen that windows is also giving an update of named amber in jauary 2014 and after that we will be get full freeedom like the anderoid in widows also. is this news right or wrong if right then i want to get more info regarding this.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    yogi.bharadwaj
    friends i lisen that windows is also giving an update of named amber in jauary 2014 and after that we will be get full freeedom like the anderoid in widows also. is this news right or wrong if right then i want to get more info regarding this.
    Lies, I don't think Windows is going opensource. If it goes opensource, I might start loving it. But, I am quite sure that it ain't happening.
  • yogi.bharadwaj
    yogi.bharadwaj
    Abhishek Rawal
    Lies, I don't think Windows is going opensource. If it goes opensource, I might start loving it. But, I am quite sure that it ain't happening.
    thanks for reply friend and if another one get updates in this field pls inform us.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Any update on KitKat for Samsung Galaxy Note?
  • Jerry Schull
    Jerry Schull
    Abhishek Rawal

- Grand
    - Galaxy Y
    - S3
    - Mini
    - Beam
    - Express
    - Note I
    - S2
    - Fame

Does anyone know if the kitkat update will be available for the ATT Galaxy Note 8.0?
  • Jerry Schull
    Jerry Schull
    Jerry Schull
    Does anyone know if the kitkat update will be available for the ATT Galaxy Note 8.0?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Jerry Schull
    Well, there's no concrete information available on the Internet. It looks like Samsung rolled out the update for some of the users; but hasn't rolled it out globally. The exact roll-out date will vary depending on your geographic location. OTA updates get exhausted pretty fast and I'd strongly recommend checking with Kies.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm curious to know what are the minimum hardware requirements for Android KitKat 4.4. There have been rumors circulating on the Internet that the latest Android flavour will be supported...
PCI>Peripheral Component Interconnect, IDE>Integrated Drive Electronic, HDd>Hard Disk Drive, CMOS>Complementary Metal Oxide Semi-conductor, USB>Universal Serial Bus, OS>Operating System. Stay tune more are loading.
Once the darling of smartphone & email lovers, the hot favorite of high flying business executives is now looking for a buyer. The company that's solely responsible for introducing &...
Molten air batteries have been demonstrated to offer highest ever energy storage capacities, making the competition look dwarf. For the first time, researchers have been able to manufacture molten-air batteries...
I just installed a free version of google play book from play store.It was used for reading books both online and offline.i selected a freebook from it and decided to...