Your first job: With a Startup or MNC?

Most of you have had a job offer when you graduated. Or those who are studying, will have multiple rounds of campus interviews.

Working for a startup or MNC has its own advantages as well disadvantages. As an engineer, would you opt for a job at a Startup or MNC?

Why?

Replies

• MaRo
    MaRo
    I really was thinking to join a startup, but now I want to start my own..my group & I can do a lot of great things..why just kill it in another company..

If a company would take all of us & funds our projects with any profits deals, I'd go but with the economic condition don't anyone would be much adventurous with his money, so now the best choice is my own ๐Ÿ˜
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I would have loved to be a part of Start-up. There are fair enough chances that if you are hard working start-up will pay you recognition very soon. However in a MNC or already build up company you are just another drop in a sea; no importance to your work until and unless you are doing something out of skin.

My Good, I started my career with a MNC; however that MNC opened a new center in the CITY where I joined (establishing a new center was just as good as setting a start-up) ๐Ÿ˜. So for me it was a STARTUP - MNC

Whats your take on this biggi? Agreed?

-CB
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I believe it depends on what your aspirations are and how you look at your career. I've known folks who wanted a 'job' than a 'career' and settled with their MNC jobs. But for those who want to have a 'kick' of working for lesser money yet creating wonderful things - a startup is always a better choice.

A startup will offer you more responsibilities and you'll avoid unnecessary meeting and status reports et al. It's a great learning experience and nothing else would beat it when it comes to building technical skillset.

An MNC job, on the other hand can offer everything you wish for - a posh office, great money, great work. However, most of the times most of the techies end up doing all the donkey-work (I mean it) for the love of fat salaries.

One has to evaluate the job he/she is seeking by asking lot of questions to the potential employer. However, I don't see anyone interested in knowing more about the job than the salary.
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    However, most of the times most of the techies end up doing all the donkey-work (I mean it) for the love of fat salaries.
    My choice is MNCs.

Some of my friends brother are working in MNC, From my friends what information I got is,MNC employees getting heavy workloads rarely and They are recognized according to their smart work , not based on the hard works.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    ๐Ÿ˜• I guess for me it would not matter. I will be treated as a resource(or an employee) with bosses at both the places.
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    shalini_goel14
    ๐Ÿ˜• I guess for me it would not matter. I will be treated as a resource(or an employee) with bosses at both the places.
    I heard that, the company you are working, provides research offer with good resources to employees. Isn't it?
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    ms_cs
    I heard that, the company you are working, provides research offer with good resources to employees. Isn't it?
    What kind of research they offer -do you know that? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    shalini_goel14
    What kind of research they offer -do you know that? ๐Ÿ˜€
    Just I got such news. I don't know it is true or not. What he told is, while working as programmer or system analyst or some other, the employee will get a chance to be a part of research group.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    ms_cs
    Just I got such news. I don't know it is true or not. What he told is, while working as programmer or system analyst or some other, the employee will get a chance to be a part of research group.
    I tell you what is called as "Research" in such companies - Getting hands on new introduced versions of technologies about which world has not even heard or making company's existing products better by changing its code.
  • Red Hawk
    Red Hawk
    I just wanted to do my own startup rather than joining an MNC.. We almost lose all our jobs after this recession.. So better we stay safe within our lands.. Moreover why to waste our effort in improving their companies when we actually have the ability to start our own?
    This is what i think..๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    hmm..own startup.good idea. But, It needs some experience in the field , and influences with clients. So better thing is MNCs where you get some experience, by which you get some idea about your field. Am I right?
  • Differential
    Differential
    You get to play lot of roles and carry many responsibilities in startups. You work where things are not in place and its your duty to make them in place. You get to see how a company evolves right from scratch. You get to see the bigger picture of everything. Also you get to climb the ladder up early.

In MNCs, things are pritty set and one works in comfortable atmosphere. He gets alomost eveything in hand, leaving less to explore. You might not always get to see bigger picture.

One can work in MNCs anytime but working for startups after certain time is difficuilt.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I have a question. MNC's are defined as companies with presence in more than one country. What about companies who only operate locally?

Theres a big gap between a start up company and an MNC. Can't we choose places in between? So many types with different number of employees and sizes, including government based ones.

Or.. is there a purpose to limit the choices between these two types?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

An old discussion, but worth reigniting. Do we have any experiences from people who've chosen to join a startup over MNC?

Would love to hear from our fellow CEans who've joined recently.ย 

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Do we have anyone who can write articles on finance, banking,etc.?
I wish to know how many of our CEans who are working for companies are allowed to work part time? That is, are you allowed to work for a startup...
Alrighty - I'm a big fan of video games. I was first introduced to video games when I was about 10 ๐Ÿ˜ฒ . I remember spending hours playing Mario &...
CEans, Please post your favorite engineering websites/blogs in this thread. The website should provide technical information relevant to engineers. Get started
Dear All Members; A.S.H.A.R.E Refrigeration 2006 is the latest version of A.S.H.A.R.E Refrigeration series You can download it from here: HVAC DESIGN TOOLS|HVAC TRAINING