Yahoo+Facebook - New Search Engine Coming?

Google recently lost one of their top executives, Marisa Mayer to Yahoo - which was once Google's top search rival. Things haven't been very good at Yahoo all through the recent years but it looks like Mayer's infusing some fresh blood in the company. The social media is abuzz with the news that Yahoo is in talks with Facebook to build a search engine. While this update is still a rumor, but this might just open up great possibilities in the search engine business in coming years. Plus, Google will have to watch out because it'll be a direct hit at Google's core business.

But things may not be just as straightforward as they might look. Yahoo gave up on their search business and began relying on Bing for searches. Bing is built, operated and maintained by Microsoft which is Google's big time rival and owns a stake in Facebook. Many of you may even know that Facebook uses Bing search. It might look like Yahoo teaming up with Facebook for search would be same as Yahoo patterning with Microsoft but it might just not be the case. In fact, I think Yahoo teaming up with Facebook might just end their deal with Microsoft. The search deal between these two companies is meant to last for at least 10 years (currently in its 3rd year), but this new proposed partnership may bring it to the point of breaking in near future.

Yahoo - Facebook deal makes sense

Remember that Yahoo knows how search engines work. They still have their old time search engineers who'd be more than willing to built a Google rival. Facebook might just provide them with what they lack - the big amount of social, personal data which can be used to offer very personalised and relevant search results.

The deal may even work in favor of Facebook because they'll still be in control of the whole search (through personal data) and will be able to tweak it the way they want. It will also help Facebook have a share of the whole world that's out of Facebook.

Microsoft has taken a different path recently and they might just continue to take a share of the deal between Yahoo and Facebook and fight with Google.

What I see is that Google may now get a worthy competitor and if things turn out well, it could just give Google sleepless nights.

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I have doubt they will be better than Google but, I favor that they should compete otherwise Google is already dominating smaprtphones (with 85%) and I never heard if someone using a primary search engine other than Google.
    I have tried using Yahoo search and maps but results ware terrible.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Make no mistakes - Facebook has HUGE amount of people's personal data and can be more precise in showing search results as per people's interests. Google dominates mobile, but when talking about the search most of the data resides on servers. Google's lead lies in the fact that they continue to index the Internet. They struggle with showing personalised results because they don't have access to the personal data of users. Google relied on user's search history to direct their advertisements to improve the click rates.

Facebook doesn't have to do this because users are themselves sharing everything. For example, if you're in Delhi and want to know which is the best restaurant near to you, Facebook can quickly find out your personal data and determine which is the most likely choice of restaurant and then promote it. That could make a lot of difference to the advertising money too. I believe they're already doing it.

But with Yahoo's support they can grab the Internet which is far away from their reach. For example, an electrical engineer searching for some gadget may just land on CrazyEngineers for a gadget related discussion.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I hope there will be more than one player .... but the fact personalized searches are also shifting from desktop to mobile/tablet, in which Google is already dominating with android and it will continue to do this, according to #-Link-Snipped-#
    Android will capture more than 50% of smartphones squeezing iOS and WP at 20% each. I also believe that by 2016 everyone have smartphone and in this condition Yahoo+facebook have to try very hard to overcome Google.
    In current scenario they yahoo is far behind the Google. Just for an instance
    I am in hyderabad and searched for Golconda fort. there is a big difference between both search result.
    Yahoo is just showing result pages while Google is showing pages+ map location+brief description, timing, contact number and similar searches.
    Let see if collaboration of Yahoo+Facebook can giver better service .
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    One problem which they will have to tackle is quick results of Google. The new search engine must have very high speeds of data processing to even come close to google instant features and all.

Next accessing your personal info by facebook can be a killer to privacy in the longer run.

Third response time will be an issue here if too many parameters are analysed the response time of Yahoo Facebook feature will be very very high compared to Google. And more thay will need their dedicated browser If they ever think on user to share more info to them about their taste.

IN plain speaking Google monopoly will not be removed in the next 10 years Unless Mark's men bring out a miracle in the Yahoooo world
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think both Yahoo and Facebook are well aware of the speed related requirements. In fact, Facebook's reengineered PHP to suit their needs and make the execution faster. I believe they convert it to C (or C++) code [ just making a random guess from memory ] to make the things execute faster. As I said, Yahoo's been in the game for long time and they were really nice in their initial days. I've used Yahoo when they used to have those big icons on either sides of the search box.

Facebook lives by indirect selling of people's personal data to advertisers. That's how they make money. So that's not a question for Facebook.

Computation isn't the problem for these companies with big dollars in their pockets. Just for the sake of information - Google determines the overall rank of every page on website based on ~200 different factors! It's huge computing power that these companies invest in.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    This is something we can't really predict but Unlike Microsoft, Facebook has a huge market (about 500 million people) in mobile. So, if Yahoo and Facebook bring the search engine to mobile in a very efficient way, it will be heading directly towards where the digital world is going.
    The tech town is now eagerly waiting to see what Marissa Mayer and Sheryl Sandberg are busy cooking. 👀 😒

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This interesting question popped up when a CEan sent me a note in PM asking whether there was a way to share animated GIFs on Facebook Walls or other people's...
which technology is better in mobile communication? CDMA or GSM? why? why CDMA mobiles come with inbuilt SIM card?
I'm wondering whether it's possible to stream video via bluetooth between a laptop and say a mobile or another laptop? I know Wi-Fi would make the job easy, but we're...
Hi guys !! I desperately need your help. First let me tell you about myself: I did my engg.(IT) from Pune university this year.I haven't got a job until now(haven't...
World's biggest professional network - LinkedIn recently conducted a survey which was taken by about 8000 professionals all over the world. About 415 professionals replied from India and about 18.6%...