Yahoo Gives Details On How It Plans To Recycle Old Usernames Securely

Ever since Yahoo Bid Goodbye To Your Yahoo Mail If You Haven't Logged In Since A Year that have not been used in a year, concerns have been raised by experts on how Yahoo is planning to tackle password reset requests from various services. For example, here on CrazyEngineers whenever you forget your password, we use your email id to get you a new password. E commerce and social networking sites have been using methods similar to above since ages, but if Yahoo gives your email username to someone else, you shall become susceptible to hackers who can easily steal your credentials by utilising this loophole. To address the above problem Yahoo has taken the help from Facebook to come up with a new type of validation.

Yahoo! Logo

According to the idea proposed by Facebook to Yahoo!, websites that use email for password reset services will required to attach Require-Recipient-Valid-Since header to the reset email being sent to a yahoo mail account which shall make a request to Yahoo to check the age of an account before delivering the mail. The Require-Recipient-Valid-Since header consists of the date on which the person had used his/her email to create the account on the other website and if the date is before the date of the new Yahoo! username ownership, then the email will not be delivered and shall bounce back. Facebook has already started using this method and Yahoo! hopes that other websites will soon follow suit.

In the blog post, Yahoo has also informed that it shall not be giving out the unused usernames to new users right away. Interested users are now being given the opportunity to get the username of their choice on the #-Link-Snipped-# by registering up to five desired usernames and by mid-August they shall be receiving an email with a link that shall be valid for 48 hours letting them know that their username is up for grabs. Yahoo will be taking this time to deactivate the account and auto-unsubscribing the account from any mailing lists that send mail to the address.

For more details on this news we recommend you to read Yahoo!’s Get Your Yahoo! Username Wish List Ready! | Yahoo, and on the #-Link-Snipped-# and for more information on the Require-Recipient-Valid-Since header please visit draft-wmills-rrvs-header-field-01 - The Require-Recipient-Valid-Since Header Field

Source: Yahoo recycles old user IDs with help from Facebook - The Verge

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sure its good and safe Yahoo users.But there will be insecure feeling that prevails between the users.Can yahoo tackles the customers expectation and retain the users??????????
    Already Yahoo have lost its battle in searchengines and mail to google.Can this move produce positive or negative impact?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Why on earth Yahoo wants to spend millions in load shedding

Seriously I use my Yahoo mail id only to draw away some nasty and bulky trash from my main email account

I want that id but can't recover the password at all I not sure what I am gonna do?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    auto-unsubscribing the account from any mailing lists that send mail to the address.
    I wonder, how exactly does this work? Is there actually a standard in place regarding subscription to newsletters and mailing lists?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

It's been thirty years since the Brand Datsun phased out, and now with its resurrection, Japanese auto-maker Nissan nurtures huge dreams regarding the company-hold in Indian market. To elevate this...
Blackberry users in India with the BB OS 6.0 and upwards will now be able to use the BBM Voice service free of cost. The announcement comes from Blackberry executives...
i need topics in web technology for my mini project
Yes the news is directly from the Ravi Chopra, CMD of Piaggio Vehicles Private Ltd that the classic Vespa 946 will be available in India at the end of 2013.This...
In recent years , we saw many steps taken by the government to convert government units to private units.Do you believe in privitization ?How can this be a help to...