Yahoo continues its acquisition spree. Set to acquire Xobni Corp for $70 Million

Marissa Mayer, CEO of Yahoo Inc continues its acquisition run and is set to acquire a software firm Xobni Corp for about $70 Million. Yahoo is also planning to utilize the phone number and address finder software from Xobni into its messaging and mailing apps.

This is the third acquisition by Yahoo this week following Qwiki Inc and Bignoggins Productions earlier this week. Marissa arrived on the scene as Yahoo's CEO just an year back and since then the firm has acquired 16 companies including one of the biggest acquisitions of Tumblr for $1.1 billion. This has surely worked in favor of Yahoo as its shares prices are witnessing an up rise. Merissa appears to be a woman on a mission to give tough competition to Google and other competitors.

What do you think? Is this a great move to spend so much on mere acquisitions?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Not many know this but, Xobni is basically reverse of 'Inbox'! What I'm looking at is how Yahoo will integrate all their recent purchases in their existing portfolio. Specifically, the acquisition of xobni might see its deeper integration with Yahoo mail? But who uses Yahoo anymore?

Talking about the acquisitions - it's better and easier to buy an established business than trying from scratch to build a product and then waiting for users to come and like it. When you acquire a company, you not only buy their assets, but also buy the customers and the good faith that company has built over the years.

That's why there are so many acquisitions. I hope Ms. Mayer doesn't disappoint the investors who're literally blowing up money on her shopping!
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    Rightly so. Seems that Yahoo is looking to expand its domain in the products that they own and improve the existing ones.

This is what Yahoo's VP had to say about it

"We are interested in using acquisitions as means to bolster talent, bolster technology and improve our product suite"

I see it in a way of desperation because Yahoo's officials feel that they are acquiring many companies with a view that they think something out of this will certainly pay off. Not sure what kind of strategy that is.. 😕
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    Here comes another one in the acquisition spree. Yahoo has now acquired Rockmelt. Marissa Mayer is on a roll seriously..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If my memory serves me right, Rockmelt was long dead. Here's one of our old review threads: New Browser Rockmelt Review .

I think they pivoted their entire business in the recent times. I remember having tried the browser. Never impressed me though.
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If my memory serves me right, Rockmelt was long dead. Here's one of our old review threads: New Browser Rockmelt Review .

I think they pivoted their entire business in the recent times. I remember having tried the browser. Never impressed me though.
    Yes, the browser that they made was discontinued because of lack of user base and the focus of the company was moved towards mobile app development much like Flipboard.

It seems Yahoo has decided to use Rockmelt's framework for serving up its home page content in a better way. Yahoo has also decided to close all accounts signed up with Rockmelt by August 31 2013

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A declarative programming language for GPU Programming,Harlan has been released by the Indiana's University researcher. Eric Holk worked on this project for two long years & finally released the work...
Karbonn Titanium S9 has been launched in India with a price tag of Rs. 19,990. The Titanium S9 makes an interesting launch from Karbonn mobiles and the timing of the...
Stella, which is Latin for 'Star' is the product of The Solar Team Eindhoven (STE) of TU/e in the Netherlands. Glorified as the world's first solar-powered family car, Stella is...
If 'and' can be written as '&', why can't we replace the word 'the' with Ћ, asks Australian restauranteur, Paul Mathis. He's invented a new symbol to represent the most...
Samsung seems to be pushing the hardware to limits and the latest rumor about Galaxy Note III is that the phablet will have a whooping 3GB of memory (RAM). Korean...