Xiaomi’s Answer To The Segway Is Much Cheaper Than You Expect: Meet The Ninebot Mini

For years, Segways have been the toys of the financially elite who want to look cool avoiding walking on their feet. The two-wheeled, self-balancing, battery-powered electric vehicle has always been away from the reach of the masses primarily because it costs as much as a small Japanese hatchback. However, Chinese electronics giant, Xiaomi has changed the Segway market once in for all by unveiling the Ninebot mini that costs twenty times less than the cheapest Segway variant. The Xiaomi Ninebot mini has been priced at ¥1,999 ($316 or 20,520 INR).

Xiaomi Ninebot mini 4
Xiaomi Ninebot mini 5 Xiaomi Ninebot mini 3 Xiaomi Ninebot mini 2 Xiaomi Ninebot mini 1

If you are thinking Xiaomi has skipped some of the charm of the Segway trying to make the Ninebot mini dirt cheap you would be wrong. Unlike conventional Segways, the Ninebot mini comes with a companion smartphone app that allows users to remotely control the Ninebot mini. The app lets you monitor your speed and lock the Ninebot mini. It also alerts the user if someone is trying to steal it. In terms of vehicle statistics, the Ninebot mini can travel at speeds up to 10miles per hour or 16 kilometres per hour. It has the capability to tackling 15 degree inclines and can travel up to 22 km on a single charge. The Ninebot mini is smaller than a Segway and can easily fit in the back of the car. If the Ninebot mini runs out of charge you can carry it yourself as it weighs only 28 pounds or 12.8 kilograms.

Xiaomi’s intentions of expanding its product range began in April when it invested $80 million into a three year old start-up called Ninebot to help it acquire Segway. Xiaomi has set November 3rd as the launch date for the Ninebot mini in China. When it comes to global availability, #-Link-Snipped-# thinks that it is making its way to Europe soon as the French website of Xiaomi says that users will be informed about its availability in the country at a later date. No information about its availability in India for the meanwhile.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Xiaomi is turning out to be an interesting company with products in consumer electronics domain and now in the mobility domain as well. I won't be surprised that they will come up with an Mi Car before Apple does.

No wonder they are called the 'Apple of China'.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    I want this in my campus. Make it cheap(er) Xiaomi!!! 👍

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The big problem with whatsapp is that it auto-downloads all the videos and photos and even the audio clips forwarded by people to the group. Even if you are not...
Let's make a collection of the most frequently asked questions in MBA interviews. It might help a student who is browsing the internet a week or two before the actual...
Australian University RMIT's Alumnus Dr. James Waldie is an aerospace engineer and a senior research associate, who has designed a new space-suit that is inspired by famous Australian sprinter Cathy...
A researcher from the University of Leeds, Devesh Mistry is a postgraduate research student at the School of Physics and Astronomy who is currently developing a new Eye Lens that...
Sir I have completed one year in manual testing , What Should Be my Goal For Future To accelerate My career.