Writing the "Career Objective" in your resume

One fresh engineering graduate asked this question to me -

"What should be my career objective?", "I need to write it in my resume".

I'm very sure each one of us here either has faced this question or going to face it soon. So why not be prepared?

I'm looking for fresh ideas on why and how should we write our career objective in resume. What should be the career objective for experienced professional and a fresh engineering graduate.

[PS: I know this is an individuals' choice and cannot be generalized. Our aim is to have discussion on how to go about writing the career objective.]

Replies

• samarjeetsaigal
    samarjeetsaigal
    please telll me also if you get something about this. i would love to learn about this.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    samarjeetsaigal
    please telll me also if you get something about this. i would love to learn about this.
    Sure, keep checking the thread. We've lot of kinds of engineers over here so we should be able to come up with nice things here.

I'll give you a few ideas that you can use as basis for writing career objective.

"To make a position for myself in the competitive corporate world and contribute to achieving the goals on both professional and personal level"

"To look for challenges and try to overcome them with integrity and honesty in order to achieve excellence and satisfaction in the job"

"To work in an environment that challenges me to improve and constantly thrive for perfection in all the tasks allotted to me"

"To achieve a rewarding and fulfilling career in a healthy workforce"
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    KISS

Keep it short and simple. If you ask me what is my career objective, I will say "Growth"

Thats it!
  • samarjeetsaigal
    samarjeetsaigal
    In this respect i must say Establishment and Growth.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    To seek inner peace? Thats a valid objective.. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ash
    To seek inner peace? Thats a valid objective.. ๐Ÿ˜€
    That's what you say when you QUIT the job. ๐Ÿ˜

Let's start with the basics :-

1. Do we really need to write 'career objective' in resume?

The answer is - Yes. Because everyone expects it and you aren't a maverick. The interviewer expects a career objective and that's why you should write it.

Now question 2:

2. What should you write?

What are your expectations from the job? What do you want to give to the company? How is the job relevant to your career? - these questions must be answered.

Yes, growth is important. For both you and the company. So let's build our ideas on these pointers.

...and let's have a target of coming up with various career objectives that can be mentioned in not more than 6 words!

I hope everyone is with me. Let' brainstorm! [โ€‹IMG]
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    The_Big_K
    That's what you say when you QUIT the job. ๐Ÿ˜
    Good one. By the way I don't think career objective is necessary to be mentioned on the CV. It might be good for a fresh graduate but not when I have set a foot and traveled some distance.

In my opinion it is to give an insight into the person's long term goals. When you gain some experience, the CVs normally start with a brief introduction on the skill sets. Short term objective, of course is to win that job. Long term can be any thing. If you are true to your responsibilities and the company has right vision, the growth will come automatically.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    The_Big_K
    That's what you say when you QUIT the job.
    Hahaha! Is "work" really THAT bad? ๐Ÿ˜›
  • samarjeetsaigal
    samarjeetsaigal
    What i think about career objective is that we can teach anybody how to write the career objective in the resume as everyone has its own career objectives in their life. So how can we tell anybody to write this or write that. it depends on him where he/she wants to stand
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    samarjeetsaigal
    What i think about career objective is that we can teach anybody how to write the career objective in the resume as everyone has its own career objectives in their life. So how can we tell anybody to write this or write that. it depends on him where he/she wants to stand
    No, the aim is NOT to come up with one career objective for all CEans ๐Ÿ˜ !

Writing career objective is one of the issues each one of us has faced ( or is going to face). I've seen people who don't understand their own career objectives (because its copy pasted from somewhere).

We aim to come up with different ideas on writing career objectives; on deciding what could be one's expectations from the jobs etc.
  • samarjeetsaigal
    samarjeetsaigal
    The_Big_K
    No, the aim is NOT to come up with one career objective for all CEans ๐Ÿ˜ !

Writing career objective is one of the issues each one of us has faced ( or is going to face). I've seen people who don't understand their own career objectives (because its copy pasted from somewhere).

We aim to come up with different ideas on writing career objectives; on deciding what could be one's expectations from the jobs etc.
    for this one should understand himself first that what type of person he is and where he wants to stand in this competeting world. What are his expectations etc..etc...
  • nitinnimbalkar
    nitinnimbalkar
    Hi,

If you are looking good "careers objective" here you can find good objective.

"I am a sincere, loyal and dedicated individual who has a great deal of ambition. although I have extensive experience in the ( fill in the blank ) industry, I love to learn, and am always up to a challenge. I get along well with others, while also working efficiently on my own. I am seeking a position where I can develop and excel while giving my best to an employer."

Thanks
  • jsmith
    jsmith
    you can find good career objectives here,[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]#-Link-Snipped-#[/FONT]

Best Luck !! ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€
  • shweta mathur
    shweta mathur
    To learn, improve and be an asset to your organisation.

thats what my career objective says for now..is it bad?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Sorry for bumping into a very very old thread. But I think this is something many of my classmates need to know.
    Believe it or not, some people copy-paste their friends objectives ๐Ÿ˜

Any ideas anyone?
  • mrngorickets
    mrngorickets
    Hi

Tks very much for post:
    I like it and hope that you continue posting.
    Best regards.
  • jhnmichle
    jhnmichle
    whatever your career objective is? but in resume it should simple and precise just. i think interviews try to become Ian Stine.
  • phillipturner
    phillipturner
    The career objective give idea to any recruiter about the thinking and motto of the person. Beware! HR guys are very cleaver, so show what is your intention with the job, why you are the most suitable for the post in hidden language, I mean that you can mention that the thing you know you want to utilize your skills and knowledge in competitive environment extras..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Looking back, I think it's just a matter of time that people will stop writing career objective in their resume. However, while the recruiters still want to see career objective, there are few key points that candidates can keep in mind while preparing their resume.

1. Give it importance: Not for the sake of writing it in your resume; but take some time to analyse what you really want from your career and what is your main purpose of seeking a career in the domain that you have chosen. Think about it seriously and make a list of the points that come in your mind.

Use these points to clearly write down your career objective. It will turn out to be unique and you will be able to talk about it with confidence if the interviewer asks questions on it.

2. What are your expectations: Your career objective basically is a summary of what you expect from your job and career in general. Do you like a challenging work environment? How do you expect your team to be? What are the goals that you'd like to achieve in your career? How will you contribute to the growth of the company while ensuring that your skills set is up to date? Think about it.

3. What position are you applying: Your career objective should match with the position to which you are applying. If you are applying for a junior level position; focus more on learning, improving your skills, building strong professional relationship with fellow team mates etc.

However, if you are applying to a mid or senior level position; you will have to think about building solid team, ensuring company goals are met, ensuring that your skills and role help the company's profitability etc.

If you wish to write a simple career objective, write it down below and I will be happy to evaluate it or comment on it.
  • Deadman
    Deadman
    Off topic
    I am having experience in mechanical field but searching for a job in web development so is it appropriate to add my experience in the resume which is not at all related.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Deadman
    Off topic
    I am having experience in mechanical field but searching for a job in web development so is it appropriate to add my experience in the resume which is not at all related.
    Nope, if your past experience isn't very relevant; you better not add it. However, thinking from a recruiter's perspective; you might just inform them what were you doing and what are your strong reasons to switch to web development. So do 'mention' your past experience, and highlight your achievements that could be relevant to the job you are seeking.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Wondering if the 'career objective' section in a resume is obsolete by now. Do recruiters really read it? Can you make a very good first impression by writing a one line career objective that grabs or holds a recruiter's attention.

Inviting opinions from you all! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • sandesh bukate
    sandesh bukate
    Thank you great information about resume writing. Surely it would help fresher to create effective resume according to your suggestions.Thank you.
  • Vishal Durgule
    Vishal Durgule
    To work in a globally competitive environment on challenging assignments which offer continuous development and learning opportunities and where I can apply my knowledge, skills and abilities, thus adding strength and value to the organization..................

Kaustubh sir what is opinion above objective
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Check this post: #-Link-Snipped-# .

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

That's my question to all great automobile/mechanical engineers out there! The question popped up in my mind after watching the Yamaha R15 - the bike with stunning looks and a...
CEans, How do you like the idea of featuring college events / techfests on CrazyEngineers so that each one of us knows what's happening in engineering colleges around the globe?...
Well honestly am still confused on naming topic so.. herez the thing i want: Some of the websites image based authentication ...to separate the human user from bot user....like in...
I'm decidedly not an electrical engineer. This is probably an exceedingly simple question, but my mechanically oriented mind doesn't comprehend amps, ohms, watts and what-not. I have a 12 volt...
hey i am studying final year b.tech and i want to do some project on the latest topics. can any one suggest the topics