Would you prefer 'Free' or 'Paid' communication?

Lots of scope in the field of communication, thanks to the usage of VoIP and other sophisticated techniques. Skype, Viber, Tango, and many other applications have come up with sources to incorporate faster communication at lesser (or even free) rates. However, with lesser/free rates comes a quality issue.

My question:

1> Do you mind about the quality of the signal that is transferred during your call? Should it be just audible or perfect?

2> Would you go for low cost options, or do you want the best connectivity option available?

3> While video conversing, do you mind an occasional flicker in your screen or some unwanted jitters in between your conversation?

4> Would you rather text/chat than call someone up?

Let's discuss. Also, what you think will lead to more innovation in the way the existing Mobile Phone Operators work.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Interesting thread! Thanks #-Link-Snipped-#. I've preferred both. For video conferencing - Skype works the best. For local communication, phone calls are super. India's got cheapest mobile rates in the world - if I'm not mistaken.

1. Yes - quality of audio matters a lot. It should be clear and noise free.

2. I believe the technology should make communication 'free'. Even Internet itself isn't free.

3. Well, phone calls over 3G aren't very great. But Skype's worked very nicely for me. I like the video to be crystal clear. I've not done an HD 720p + call yet; but would surely like to do so in future. Guess I'll need a 8 Mbps dedicated line for that.

4.Calling works the best and texts are useful when you need to convey a message quickly.

I believe communication, will be free as the technology advances. Look at how WhatsApp has killed regular SMS. If you had to send a text to your friend in another country - you'd pay Rs. 5 per message (~$0.10). Now it's just the cost of a few Kbs.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Interesting thread! Thanks #-Link-Snipped-#.
    India's got cheapest mobile rates in the world - if I'm not mistaken.
    There're countries that have even cheaper rates. India rates are bound to reduce with VoIP.

1. Yes - quality of audio matters a lot. It should be clear and noise free.
    This can vary for landlines and mobiles. The use of voice codecs vary with respect to various operators. Codecs like G.729, G.729a, G.729a/b use lower bandwidth compared to GSM-FR which results is easier connectivity at low band rates. However for internet calling, the clarity would differ if both parties don't have a good Internet connection.

2. I believe the technology should make communication 'free'. Even Internet itself isn't free.
    True. However certain hidden charges apply. When companies make calling free, you're bound to use more, and they make profits.

3. Well, phone calls over 3G aren't very great. But Skype's worked very nicely for me. I like the video to be crystal clear. I've not done an HD 720p + call yet; but would surely like to do so in future. Guess I'll need a 8 Mbps dedicated line for that.
    Internet speeds in India have to be raised. We're definitely lagging behind the rest of the world.

4.Calling works the best and texts are useful when you need to convey a message quickly.
    Internet calls however have no guarantee as the whole setup is online. The server issues can occur as connectivity is often established between the origination and termination points only after a particular call has travelled to various other servers that are located at various parts of the world through the internet.

I believe communication, will be free as the technology advances.
    How do you think operators would make profits if communication was to be made entirely free?
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Will the traditional mobile technology face a crisis in the near future? A crisis that would result due to increased usage of more cost effective internet calls?
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    A recent court room judgement has told to use skype and simple available tools for video conferencing rather than spending huge amounts on videoconferencing equipment's. If it is possible to connect over the internet it is much cheaper than the ISD and STD calls , Yes in case of emergency still Landlines and mobiles are preferred since there is no guarantee of internet connectivity
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    1: If I am calling anyone, I demand a perfect reception since i pay for it. It it might be a cellular company with lots of free shit, no problem.

2: Low cost option might degrade your experiences. Rather go for good quality and performance stuff

3: Yes we mind it. We prefer video to be crystal clear but no other option, this is India 😛

4: Yea if its a simple message or timepass conversation, Texting/Whatsapp rocks. but for urgent and important stuff, calling is better

you see the main issue regarding poor quality condition in india is Extremely high consumption group. they cannot just simply give you a flat 5mbps connection because they cant afford to. SO MANY CONSUMERS and that makes rates cheap because the service providers are also too many. Comparing with other countries, they have very less consumer group, service providers have a monopoly in the market and they actually give high quality service as they have the resources and even if they distribute equally everyone gets a fair share amount. In India, for a VVIP Bandwidth, you got to lose your pocket. Also currency exchanges and other stuff matters in this case of cheap and costly things.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    1. Quality doesn't have to be perfect, but good enough not to misinterpret words and absence of background noise.

2. Both options open. I don't want to ramp up costs for long/frequent calls, but there are some occasions that I need a reliable mode of communication.

3. Not worth to have video conferencing with lack of stability. 3G calling seems like a novelty. Hopefully with the convergence of better video codecs and faster/stable connectivity (e.g LTE, FTTx), video conferencing in HD will be available for the masses.

4. Depends on situation. If there is something that needs urgent/quick feedback on, then call is the best option. If its some other information that is not time sensitive, then I prefer to text. However, I prefer if people text me instead of calling, so that I can reply on my own time 😛

On the note about whether mobile operators can survive in light of exponential use of data, its really up to their initiative. SMS is still a big money maker, and if they are wise they would find ways to monetize both legacy and data services. Besides, they ARE the wireless back haul for mobile communications.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello friends, I wrote a c program to perform the substring operation on the string str[100]. This program was to take the position index pos and the number of characters...
hello friends, I recently went through some proverbs that were published in a personality development magazine and remained completely alien to some of them these include good wine needs no...
According to a recent post by Silicon India, some of the technologies we have enjoyed and used since a long period of time are on the verge of getting exhausted...
CEans, Yesterday, CrazyEngineers experienced the longest unplanned downtime in the history of CE. To make the matters worse, it also blocked our official email IDs during whole the time. Though...
The war between Facebook’s Graph Search and the ones on Google, Yelp, and LinkedIn with people-powered, connections-based search is a BIG one. For the past decade or two, Google has...