Would you prefer a Tablet or a Phablet? - Why?

I remember Apple iPads used to be a trend atleast till last year. Now iPads have turned into iPad minis. And even Kindle has introduced a smaller display that's about 6 inches for e-reading. My question is simple: are people getting bored of the bigger sized tablets and switching to smaller phablets? How much longer do you think tablets will hold the market?

P.S.: I've not owned a tablet before but the ones I've used are pretty heavy. Will we soon see them extinct? How long do you think we'll get to use a tablet or Phablet or even a normal smartphone? The older breeds of phones used to last longer, but I fear that now-a-days everything is short lived!

Hoping to see a mixed response here!

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Bigger screen size ==> Bigger case ==> Bigger bags ==> Bigger Space ==> Bigger purses and pockets ==> Lesser Looks ==> Lesser Popularity among Girls

In short Bigger Screen implies lesser popularity among the better half of Human Society

Well this makes it really a great problem even among the men as they can't use their big screen tech to draw some attention. Which eventually resulted in lesser popularity among the masses 😯
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I don't like big gadgets, Phablet which is too oversized gadget (for me, to keep it in pocket), I don't like it.
    I would rather use Tablets & keep it inside my bag.
    I don't think tablets will ever be as hit as smartphone & laptop, it will be extinct soon. People prefer using 13" laptop than 10" tablet, on other end people find smartphones better than Tablets.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Conqueror
    Bigger screen size ==> Bigger case ==> Bigger bags ==> Bigger Space ==> Bigger purses and pockets ==> Lesser Looks ==> Lesser Popularity among Girls
    ROFL, what a thinking to rule out Phablets 😁

Meanwhile, while raising the question you didn't mention that you are asking for phablet as a substitute of Phone or tablet.

If you are looking for a substitute of Tablets, these Phablets are Awesome! These are giving additional feature of phone which will be always great.

If substitute for phone then these are bad, as keeping these big gadgets for primary function of call is not easier.

-CB
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Would really ask people who have used tablets to respond here. I think #-Link-Snipped-# (man behind the Absolute Zero) has actually 'used' a fair amount of gadgets for creating art. He'd be a good advicer in this regard. Also I request all newbies to step up and respond here. We want to genuinely know what you think about tablets turning to useless vegetables in the near future!

P.S.: I guess "he's a vegetable" is an expression used in medical profession to say that a person is brain dead and useless. How would engineers describe it?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Abhishek Rawal
    I don't think tablets will ever be as hit as smartphone & laptop, it will be extinct soon. People prefer using 13" laptop than 10" tablet, on other end people find smartphones better than Tablets.
    Then you need to think loud.

These tablets are already a big hit in US and Europe. All the marketing folks Sr managements do carry their tablets with them rather than carrying laptops.

These are becoming meetings necessity now a days.

-CB
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    crazyboy
    ROFL, what a thinking to rule out Phablets 😁

Meanwhile, while raising the question you didn't mention that you are asking for phablet as a substitute of Phone or tablet.
    This is clearly a debate between Tablets and Phablets. I don't think phablets would be a threat to 'normal' smartphones while considering the size!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Phablets! I've used regular sized phone, tablets and phablets (Note II). The most convenient over extended periods of time and mobility is phablet - because it allows you to keep the gadget in your pocket and get the simple office work done : Checking and replying important emails, checking presentations, documents, spreadsheets; and in my case, perform some server maintenance.

Tablets are great - but the size makes them little lesser portable than phablets.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    If one is carrying laptop bags or briefcases anyway, then I suppose portability isn't an issue for tablets.

Tablets are still very useful, ranging from businesses to home use (e.g chilling on the sofa for casual surfing and checking emails. Decent size screen does make a difference).
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Has anyone had a chance to check Microsoft Surface?
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    A good debate at correct time and it has heated up.
    My view:I would go for Tablets rather than phablets.
    Cause:tablet --»more features,larger screen size,etc.
    Smaller display cause me more eye strain and I find games would be great in Tab.
    I dont agree with the fact that girls hate larger displays.The girls I have met said that they like larger displays.
    What's the other fellow CEans verdict?
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    CSK AUTO
    Cause:tablet --»more features,larger screen size,etc.
    What 'more' features can tablets offer over phablets? Please elaborate!

Smaller display cause me more eye strain and I find games would be great in Tab.
    Phablets are the right size for games as well I feel. They're infact the same size or maybe a tad larger than your Sony PlayStation Portables! It's easier to play with a phablet when you're lying down than with a tablet.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    My vote is for phablets. One reason is of-course the size. If I can get all the features in 7" then having a 10" gadget is useless. If I want a bigger screen I have my laptop. Portability also becomes problem with tablets. You cant just put it in your pocket and ride a public transport! Other than that, I also get phone service. I dont need to carry two gadgets!
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Has anyone had a chance to check Microsoft Surface?

Looks like a good device for business executives who've nothing more to do besides making presentations and browsing the internet. Also, feels like a good addition to your conference table while you're doing a presentation (can avoid wastage of keeping a good PC system at the conference room) - however, you have to buy a USB adapter to connect the HDMI cable first!
    And also worth as a reception table attraction. However, it does not help with serious work or storage!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I found this amazing Among the 2 compression techniques the output from the MPEG-4 seems to provide very less data rate compared to that of MPEG-2 What can be the...
Recently a blog leaked the Xeon roadmap shows the successor the Broadwell (which is successor of Haswell) that is yet to penetrate the mainstream. Intel's Skylake is 14-nm processor which...
I am always having ping of around 100+ & that value increases to 200 or 250 + during peak hours ( morning 9 to evening 5), then again lowers to...
What is a catastrophic failure? Why a design engineer should consider it as the greatest failure?what might be the causes for such failure?what measures can be taken to avoid or...
Does any person have details about toxic mildew? I think I might have a problem.