View Feed
group-icon
Coffee Room
Discuss anything here - everything that you wish to discuss with fellow engineers.
12829 Members
Join this group to post and comment.
Ankita Katdare
Ankita Katdare • Apr 30, 2012

World's Quietest Room @ - -9.4 decibels - Inner peace anyone?

An anechoic chamber in Minneapolis's Orfield Laboratory holds the Guinness world record for the world's quietest place at -9.4 decibels. As humans can only detect sounds above 0 decibels, the chamber is virtually soundless. The room consists of a mesh floor, walls lined with meter-long sound-proofing wedges, and a meshed ceiling. People inside the chamber can hear their own stomach, heart, or even ears, as the ear makes its own noise when it does not detect sound.
Source: Minnesota Public Radio

See this video:

I think most of the people entering will come screaming out after 10 minutes or so. 😨 What do you think?
Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • Apr 30, 2012
Silence is the top distraction.
Ankita Katdare
Ankita Katdare • Apr 30, 2012
I think it will be the best for meditation and Kung-Fu practice. ☕ What say, CEans?
silverscorpion
silverscorpion • Apr 30, 2012
AbraKaDabra
the ear makes its own noise when it does not detect sound.
What?? 😲 I didn't know that before!! Should be fun to try it out! 😁 😀
Mr.Don
Mr.Don • Apr 30, 2012
My inner's are super super peaceful. 😁
ISHAN TOPRE
ISHAN TOPRE • Apr 30, 2012
Yeah, a simple constructional innovation. Or should I say, one of the best sound dampening techniques?

I think, the wood has intelligently been included to utilize the perforations in it to damp the sound. Also, wedge shapes ensure lot of air space.
AbraKaDabra
I think it will be the best for meditation and Kung-Fu practice. ☕ What say, CEans?
The place is best for you Panda
Ankita Katdare
Ankita Katdare • May 2, 2012
I think the reason why we hear our stomach or ears is because of the effect known as sensory deprivation. Your ears would no longer be dealing with all of that background noise, so everything would become exponentially louder. Just like how your eyes adjust to darkness.
Correct me if I am wrong.

Share this content on your social channels -