World's Most Sensitive Thermometer Uses Light And Is 3x More Precise

The next time you fall sick and need a thermometer to measure the temperature you will be able to tell it 3 times more accurately than what the best thermometers we use today do - all thanks to the physics research team from the University of Adelaide's Institute for Photonics and Advanced Sensing (IPAS). What is now being called the "world's most sensitive thermometer", here we have a device that can measure temperature with a precision of 30 billionths of a degree. Moreover, these numbers point to temperature measured at room temperature. So, in cryogenic environments, in other words - at very low temperatures, these values will be more accurate than ever.

How does this all work?
Well the Adelaide research team made use of light to measure temperature. Basically, the the thermometer injects 2 colors of light (red and green) into a highly polished crystalline disk. Depending on the temperature of the crystal, the two colors travelled at somewhat different speeds inside it. After heating the crystal up, the researchers observed that the red light would be slowed than the green light. Later, they forced this light to circulate 1000s of times around the edge of the disk - just the way that sound concentrates and reinforces itself in a curve in a phenomena known as a "whispering gallery." This made them measure this minuscule difference in speed with great precision.

worlds-best-thermometer โ€‹

To emphasize on the ingenuity of this concept and demonstrate how precise this new thermometer is, the researchers gave an example of a normal situation when we are testing the temperature of person with fever. We all have experienced that the temperature is always fluctuating. The reason behind is that all the atoms in any material are always in a state of fluctuation. And this is where the newly introduced super sensitive thermometer can play a significant role in measuring the variants in speed of atoms accurately.

The researchers at IPAS are certain that the ability to measure temperature at such a high degree of precision will revolutionize technologies used in industrial and medical applications. Those interested in this research work can take a look at the paper titled 'Nano-Kelvin Thermometry and Temperature Control: Beyond the Thermal Noise Limit' published in 403 Forbidden.

What are your thoughts on precision in measurement and the new thermometer? Share with us in comments.

Source: World's best thermometer made from light

Replies

• vishal Lokhande
    vishal Lokhande
    This new thermometer will be very helpful for babies so that we can have accurate measure when they have temperature , as traditional mercury thermometer is less accurate than this..๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
  • Siddhant Mukherjee
    Siddhant Mukherjee
    Vishal_lokhande
    This new thermometer will be very helpful for babies so that we can have accurate measure when they have temperature , as traditional mercury thermometer is less accurate than this..๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
    These thermometers are not meant for measuring temperatures of human body. As we can see, the crystal is the sensor and they are using optics to calibrate temperature, they want to be precise and accurate to the level where normal thermometers fail. So, this instrument may be used for very high temperature measurement or very low temperature measurement. As far as I think, they will be used mainly for cryogenic systems because high temperature measurement would involve heat handling capacity of the crystal( i.e. it should not melt).

Due to its accuracy, such system would be handful for research work or places where temperatures are such that normal thermometers become insensitive.

What's the point measuring human body temperature to the precision of 5 digits. (Who wants 101.000006 F, 101F would do). And to remind, such a system would cost at least 100 times more than a normal thermometer or may be much more.
  • vishal Lokhande
    vishal Lokhande
    #-Link-Snipped-# Totally agree...I thought it was made commercial for very precise reading.! Anyways thanks for very precise info...๐Ÿ‘
  • Siddhant Mukherjee
    Siddhant Mukherjee
    #-Link-Snipped-# You're welcome......... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • spiceluvver
    spiceluvver
    Thanx for detailed information.
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    S.mukherjee
    So, this instrument may be used for very high temperature measurement or very low temperature measurement.
    I mostly agree with what you have said, other than just ruling out the possibility of usage of these thermometers for medical science / applications. Have you read following in the article..

The researchers at IPAS are certain that the ability to measure temperature at such a high degree of precision will revolutionize technologies used in industrial and medical applications.
  • Siddhant Mukherjee
    Siddhant Mukherjee
    Rajni Jain

I mostly agree with what you have said, other than just ruling out the possibility of usage of these thermometers for medical science / applications. Have you read following in the article..
    I have not ruled out its medical usage, just said that its not practical to measure human body temperature with such an instrument. The instrument will find wide application in field of biotechnology and research in medicine. Also it will find wide application in nanotechnology and precision instruments in medical science.
  • salomaseol
    salomaseol
    Hi, the fact that this thermometer can give such high precision, I would like to know what the human temperature measures using this type of thermometer, surely I believe the range would be different from the range as we know it, not to mention how people would start getting confused with who will then compare it to conventional thermometers.

Are you all not at least a little curious what the human body temperature really reads with this new precise device.

Ankita Katdare
    The next time you fall sick and need a thermometer to measure the temperature you will be able to tell it 3 times more accurately than what the best thermometers we use today do - all thanks to the physics research team from the University of Adelaide's Institute for Photonics and Advanced Sensing (IPAS). What is now being called the "world's most sensitive thermometer", here we have a device that can measure temperature with a precision of 30 billionths of a degree. Moreover, these numbers point to temperature measured at room temperature. So, in cryogenic environments, in other words - at very low temperatures, these values will be more accurate than ever.

How does this all work?
    Well the Adelaide research team made use of light to measure temperature. Basically, the the thermometer injects 2 colors of light (red and green) into a highly polished crystalline disk. Depending on the temperature of the crystal, the two colors travelled at somewhat different speeds inside it. After heating the crystal up, the researchers observed that the red light would be slowed than the green light. Later, they forced this light to circulate 1000s of times around the edge of the disk - just the way that sound concentrates and reinforces itself in a curve in a phenomena known as a "whispering gallery." This made them measure this minuscule difference in speed with great precision.

worlds-best-thermometerโ€‹

To emphasize on the ingenuity of this concept and demonstrate how precise this new thermometer is, the researchers gave an example of a normal situation when we are testing the temperature of person with fever. We all have experienced that the temperature is always fluctuating. The reason behind is that all the atoms in any material are always in a state of fluctuation. And this is where the newly introduced super sensitive thermometer can play a significant role in measuring the variants in speed of atoms accurately.

The researchers at IPAS are certain that the ability to measure temperature at such a high degree of precision will revolutionize technologies used in industrial and medical applications. Those interested in this research work can take a look at the paper titled 'Nano-Kelvin Thermometry and Temperature Control: Beyond the Thermal Noise Limit' published in 403 Forbidden.

What are your thoughts on precision in measurement and the new thermometer? Share with us in comments.

Source: World's best thermometer made from light
    S.mukherjee
    These thermometers are not meant for measuring temperatures of human body. As we can see, the crystal is the sensor and they are using optics to calibrate temperature, they want to be precise and accurate to the level where normal thermometers fail. So, this instrument may be used for very high temperature measurement or very low temperature measurement. As far as I think, they will be used mainly for cryogenic systems because high temperature measurement would involve heat handling capacity of the crystal( i.e. it should not melt).

Due to its accuracy, such system would be handful for research work or places where temperatures are such that normal thermometers become insensitive.

What's the point measuring human body temperature to the precision of 5 digits. (Who wants 101.000006 F, 101F would do). And to remind, such a system would cost at least 100 times more than a normal thermometer or may be much more.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm wondering which iMac and Macbook machines will be able to run the OSX Yosemite. Given that the major improvements are on the GUI front and the new features may...
A little bit about myself. I currently work as an engineer for the Illinois Department of Transportation. Graduated college back in 06, went into law enforcement, quit that after a...
Apple has announced Yosemite, the new version of OS X at the Worldwide Developers Conference yesterday evening. The new refined design of the OS X Yosemite seems to be inspired...
A new software called 'idTRACKER' has been developed by a team of researchers from Cajal Institute, a neuroscience research center assigned to the Spanish Research Council (CSIC). Based on some...
Just a few hours ago at the World Wide Developer Conference 2014 in San Francisco, USA; Apple made quite a lot of important announcements. We decided to compile the top...