World's largest solar power plant to be built in Rajasthan, India

World's largest ever solar power plant with capacity of generating 4000 MW power will soon be built in Rajasthan in India near the Sambhar lake. The official authorities say that it's the first project of its kind and scale. The project expected to set a trend for construction of very large scale solar power plants all over the world. The plant will be constructed through a JV between BHEL, Powergrid Corporation of India, Solar Energy Corporation of India, Hindustan Salts Limited and Rajasthan Electronics & Instruments Limited. Once completed, the solar plant will sell electricity at about Rs. 5.50 per unit.

slide
Solar Power Plant [Image Source: Wikipedia]​

The project will be constructed in phases. In the first phase, capacity of about 1000 MW will be reached and it's expected to be completed by 2016. The first phase will also offer insights and learning from the challenges faced during construction. Using this knowledge, further expansion will be carried out. The models on which the plant will be based are being worked out. The project will require about 23,000 acres of land out of which majority of the land (about 18000 acres) will be provided by Hindustan Salts Limited.

Ashwini Kumar, director of solar energy corporation said that the Government is aiming to keep the tariff at Rs. 5.50 per unit; arguably lowest ever in the country. The project won't reach its full capacity until 2022 to add full 4k MW of power to the national power grid.

The Rajasthan Solar plant will compete directly with the Solar Energy Generating Systems (SEGS) in California Mojave desert in the United States; which currently is the largest solar power plant in the world. But it's entire capacity is just 354 MW. Once the Rajasthan plant reaches its first phase, its capacity will be more than twice that of the SEGS solar plant.

We do not have information about the technical details of the plant. Typically, the solar power plants use photovoltaic (PV) cells to convert light energy into electricity. The mirrors and lenses reflect and focus all the sunlight on a small beam at the center of the solar array.

The solar plant will definitely be national pride for India. We promise to keep track of the developments and keep you informed.

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    ecologically, there are birds which migrate to sambar lake and there are other fauna which flourish in and around sambar lake. Though the project is commendable, I really wish the eco-system of the place is kept intact.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Its a good initiative from the great corps.I had attended a seminor today and the professor said that solar power plant only have a efficiency of 1-2%.Is it real thay solar power has such lower efficiency.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    durga
    ecologically, there are birds which migrate to sambar lake and there are other fauna which flourish in and around sambar lake. Though the project is commendable, I really wish the eco-system of the place is kept intact.
    Very important concern. I just performed a quick search on Google to find out how the solar plants affect the environments. Solar plants are being preferred because they are 'green' but your concern makes me want to rethink.

I think there's a possibility that the mirrors reflecting sunlight would have some effect on the the ecosystem.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I wonder why Thar desert was not a choice. Understandably Sambar lake is a vast plane lands, but I really wouldnot want birds like flamingos(which migrate during specific part of year) to feel endangered due to vast human activity .
    I already have a bad feeling about the salt industry there and now a solar plant. No, my apprehension should not be mistaken to reluctance or resistance, its just that there are other places (rich exposure to solar energy and may be a barren land?) which can be chosen as a site for installation of solar panels.
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The project will require about 23,000 acres of land out of which majority of the land (about 18000 acres) will be provided by Hindustan Salts Limited.
    Really this much area is required to produce 4000MW.
    I think 2500 acres in enough
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    KSS manian
    Really this much area is required to produce 4000MW.
    I think 2500 acres in enough
    1kWh per square metre

That is the maximum power we receive

The CES plants operate at about 30 to 40% efficiency

This implies just 0.4kWh per square metre can be harvested.

Do tell what can be done further
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    Jeffrey Samuel
    1kWh per square metre

That is the maximum power we receive

The CES plants operate at about 30 to 40% efficiency

This implies just 0.4kWh per square metre can be harvested.

Do tell what can be done further
    I think it can generate 5KW/m2. kindly Refer the attachementCapture

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey guys, i am having OPEN BOOK PROGRAMMING contest in my college , i participated in it ; but the code which will be asked is somewhat hard (medium) type...
what are their differences
I've had a dream of buying a good camera with maximum large optical zoom to get the best clarity pictures when I go travelling. However, I'm not a professional and...
I'm an INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY student and I have a report about the "uncommon or rare" tags in html and CSS AND GIVING EXAMPLES ON EVERY UNCOMMON OR RARE TAGS.. any...
what can be done if cpu is not displaying