One more

Watch for few minutes
    Are there 12 or 13 men?
    [โ€‹IMG]

This will drive you crazy!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Wonderful Biggie.

But how can anyone explain? is it because of the reflection of other colours around??
  • Red Hawk
    Red Hawk
    That was a good one god father.. Will you please explain it gf?
  • Differential
    Differential
    I have one question here. Suppose a person has a by-birth eye defect in such way that he sees red color as green and green color as red. So would it be ever known? If yes, how?
  • gohm
    gohm
    It is because of the one guy in the left corner, right?

godfather
    One more

Watch for few minutes
    Are there 12 or 13 men?
    [โ€‹IMG]

This will drive you crazy!
  • gohm
    gohm
    Yes, the person would find out the first time they have an accident at a traffice light. red is always on top, green at the bottom.

Differential
    I have one question here. Suppose a person has a by-birth eye defect in such way that he sees red color as green and green color as red. So would it be ever known? If yes, how?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Maybe all of us see colors differently. I mean what I call 'Red' might be "Green" for Gohm, "Blue" for Ash - and we'll never find out.

Maybe we need some mathematics here to give us something concrete.
  • safwan
    safwan
    but biggie and all cEan i cant understand why is it only one colore ? how? can any one explain?
  • Differential
    Differential
    gohm
    Yes, the person would find out the first time they have an accident at a traffice light. red is always on top, green at the bottom.
    Nops! It won't happen. The person who has this defect will also stop at red signal irrespective of how he sees it. because he knows to stop at the color the entire world (including him) calles "RED".

@Biggie - Yeah, I too think the same way. I guess it can be detected using some kind of ratina scan, if available. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    gohm
    It is because of the one guy in the left corner, right?
    Yes gohm sir
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    "Colour" is scientifically defined by their EM frequency in the visible spectrum. Red light has the highest wavelength (lowest frequency) while violet has the lowest wavelength within the visible spectral range. An object is a certain colour depending on which light they reflect (or emit) according to the composition of the surface.

The eye is amazingly complex. We'll focus on the colour aspect only. Inside the eye, millions of discrete light receptors line the retina. There are two types.. cones and rods. Basically, cones (6-7 million of them) are sensitive to colour and bright light while rods (75 - 150 million) are sensitive to low levels of illumination and give an overall view of the picture. The cones will only be sensitive to a certain range of wavelengh, around 400nm - 750nm (give or take) which is the range of visible light. Certain cones will only get activated when certain a light wavelength gets absorbed. One can get in more detail about the types of cones.. but thats about the gist of it.

Now here is where it gets interesting. Our eyes are at their most sensitive at around the sub-middle range of light wavelength, which is green (the golf green) light, which means it is the most pleasing to look at ๐Ÿ˜€

So.. coming to colour blindness, it is argued that the cause of it is due to the reduced number of certain types of cones sensitive to that colour.. causing other cones to detect it (cones sensitivity overlaps over the colour ranges). The brain then assumes its that colour instead.

Now back to the illusion above. From the material I've covered in image processing class.. I conclude that its just our brains getting confused with the colours. The cones are receiving multiple colours at the same time, and due to the very close proximity of the colour lines and the rods showing the overall picture simultaneously.. we percieve the background colour as it is.

Its like aliasing.. like when we see the spinning tires of the cars seemingly rotate backwards, because the sampling rate of our eyes are slower than the rate of spinning ๐Ÿ˜€
  • gohm
    gohm
    Yes, however he will stop when everyone else goes, therefore the person would learn real quick what they thought was a red stop light is not. Plus since all know the red stop light is always on top with vertical signals or on the left of horizontal three light systems would also tell the person. i think that is why they do that!

Differential
    Nops! It won't happen. The person who has this defect will also stop at red signal irrespective of how he sees it. because he knows to stop at the color the entire world (including him) calles "RED".

@Biggie - Yeah, I too think the same way. I guess it can be detected using some kind of ratina scan, if available. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Munguti
    Munguti
    safwan
    but biggie and all cEan i cant understand why is it only one colore ? how? can any one explain?
    Watch very closely near the borders were the blue changes to green.

Color is nothing more than the reaction of the eye to certain wavelengths of EM waves which strike them. This is the basic principle used in color TV tubes. The eye only percieves three colors Red Green and Blue, the rests are obtained through additive or subtractive mixing of this three colours.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi crazyengineers, Im a final year mechanical engg student in an anna univ affiliated college. i want to be design engineer. is it useful studiying auto cad,CATIA,Pro E,ANSYS,primevera while doin...
Voa! ๐Ÿ˜ฒ Infosys co-founder, Nandan Nilekani has resigned from Infosys board to head a government project - providing unique identification numbers to citizens of India. The resignation will be effective...
Mozilla continues to (benevolently) toy with Firefox fans, makinga third Firefox 3.5 Release Candidate available for direct download or updating through the Help->Check for Updates path, while shying... More...
I need some sample MATLAB codes about simulating MIMO channel models.
Opera, the Norwegian software company behind mobile browser Opera Mini, has released its latest State of the Mobile Web report, providing some interesting data points for a detailed look at...