World Environment Day

World Environment Day (WED) was established by the UN General Assembly in 1972 to mark the opening of the Stockholm Conference on the Human Environment.

WED is Commemorated yearly on 5 June, It's one of the principal vehicles through which the United Nations stimulates worldwide awareness of the environment and enhances political attention and action.

The day's agenda is to:
1. Give a human face to environmental issues
2. Empower people to become active agents of sustainable and equitable development
3. Promote an understanding that communities are pivotal to changing attitudes towards environmental issues
4. Advocate partnership which will ensure all nations and peoples enjoy a safer and more prosperous future.

The theme for WED 2009 is 'Your Planet Needs You-UNite to Combat Climate Change'. It reflects the urgency for nations to agree on a new deal at the crucial climate convention meeting in Copenhagen some 180 days later in the year, and the links with overcoming poverty and improved management of forests.

Last 10 cities who hosted the WED:
2000 - Adelaide, Australia
2001 - Torino, Italy and Havana, Cuba
2002 - Shenzhen, People's Republic of China
2003 - Beirut, Lebanon
2004 - Barcelona, Spain
2005 - San Francisco, U.S.
2006 - Algiers, Algeria
2007 - Tromsø, Norway
2008 - Wellington, New Zealand
2009 - Mexico City, Mexico

Last 10 theams for WED
2000 - The Environment Millennium - Time to Act
2001 - Connect with the World Wide Web of Life
2002 - Give Earth a Chance
2003 - Water – Two Billion People are Dying for It!
2004 - Wanted! Seas and Oceans – Dead or Alive?
2005 - Green Cities – Plan for the Planet!
2006 - Deserts and Desertification - Don't Desert Drylands!
2007 - Melting Ice – a Hot Topic?
2008 - Kick The Habit - Towards A Low Carbon Economy
2009 - Your Planet Needs You - UNite to Combat Climate Change

We CEan's are educated members of socity. How we are going to help in making this day a big success. Or the bigger picture would be what is the smallest thing we can do in order to this noble cause a big success.

More information on World Environment Day could be found at: World Environment Day

-CB

Replies

• shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Well, I can only try to make my surroundings clean tomorrow. 😔

@Others
    1. Those who use their vehicles to go even nearby place also -can walk.Atleast you will not add some amount of pollution to the environment tomorrow. I daily do walk only 😉

2. Don't prepare food in kitchen tomorrow. Go out. Have party. 😀. No pollution in kitchen also. 😉

3. Those who use plastic bags -Can avoid them atleast for 1 day.

4. If possible, can plant a tree in your home else do care for plants in your home. Atleast water them.

* Thinking more ways *
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    One quote says. 'Dont print the paper unless required , save trees save Earth "
    So we people who are taking printouts please reduce them and take only if required and spread the same in the office.

Dont drive unless required.

Dont use plastics.

Dont waste water & fuel & power.
    Dont throw wastes on the road .

Edited😀
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    shalini_goel14
    Well, I can only try to make my surroundings clean tomorrow. 😔

@Others
    1. Those who use their vehicles to go even nearby place also -can walk.Atleast you will not add some amount of pollution to the environment tomorrow. I daily do walk only 😉

2. Don't prepare food in kitchen tomorrow. Go out. Have party. 😀. No pollution in kitchen also. 😉

* Thinking more ways *
    @ Shalini - If you will go out for party, you will not add some amount of pollution from your kitchen only. Anyways you are going to eat, that means food will cook somewhere... 😁 Have fruits at your home only... 😁

Anyways idea 1 is good. May be we can get PUC (pollution under control) check done for our vechicles, and if they really require maintainance; get it done. Do not give the person 50 bucks extra to get PUC certificate.

-CB
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    crazyboy
    @ Shalini - If you will go out for party, you will not add some amount of pollution from your kitchen only. Anyways you are going to eat, that means food will cook somewhere... 😁 Have fruits at your home only... 😁

-CB
    See, those hotel mess guys are going to cook whether I have my food in their hotel or not, so why not use atleast his efforts 😉. Why should I make his efforts to go in vain right? 😁

PS: You can read my point no 3 and 4 also 😁
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Hey CB,

Happy World Environment Day. 😁

[ PS: No use of wishing to everyone here.:sshhh: ]
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    shalini_goel14
    Hey CB,

Happy World Environment Day. 😁

[ PS: No use of wishing to everyone here.:sshhh: ]
    First line I saw, I was puzzled why its to only CB? third line made me laugh even more...

Becuase I understood why it was only one person..

APPEAL TO ALL CEANS

HAPPY WORLD ENVIRONMENT DAY !!!

Atleast, today do something on which you can proudly say that you helped environment in going greener....

-CB
  • CEMember
    CEMember
    Happy World Environment Day to all CEans. 😀

Hey CB and Shalini,

What special you guys did today or going to do?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Well.. the most I could do given the circumstances was to switch off the air conditioning during the rush hour traffic jam 😉 It was boiling hot, but nature probably suffers infinitely worse conditions.

Happy World Environment Day!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Wishing everyone on CE happy environment day.!!

Bye all 😀
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    CEMember
    Shalini,

What special you guys did today or going to do?
    Well, Instead of dumping peel offs of fruits in dust bin I dropped them in big big flower pots we have in out PG so that it can give some nutrients to those living plants by acting as a manure for them. 😔
  • safwan
    safwan
    😁 I whish verry very happy Environment day to all CEans 😁
    😎 😎 😎 😎

yup in my school too we are celebrating environment week may be monday special programmes are to be held in auditorium.

some quates :
    "every drops count"

"earth is on lease we do not own it save it for future use"
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I went office by bus, instead of my own car.

used laptop inplace of my desktop... though its 14'' still I managed atleast for a day.

Had Fruits only for the meal...

I know its not going to efffect more... but atleast I am satisfied that as a responsible engineer I did something for the earth

-CB

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Well, almost. I never did get that second, as they call it. But I'm a hobbyist from way back. What got me into electronics was a project I had my...
hai i`m doing my 3rd Btech and my branch of study is ECE. Now i`m in a dilemma to choose my career. In acutal, i`m a bit intrested in the...
i want ideas about traffic light control ambulance👍
There were three guys namely Chester , Mike n Rob they all are considered as the the most logical persons . To decide among themselves that who is the most...
i was using broadband for a year and then i applied for iptv. but the splitter configuration remains same.Now i want to know that is there any different splitter for...