working linux and its applications.....

hi everyone . i am using ubuntu 9.04 .could anyone let me know where i can get the stabe version of wine like wine 1.0.1...... and i find only development versions on its reference website...help.winehq.org/download -.......i learnt that the development versions gives some problems.....what can i do....

Replies

• Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    try this :

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • wassup
    wassup
    krishnak, I am using dev version to run lot of application. Its been working flawlessly. Well it depends on what app you want to run on wine. Remember wine will never run all the windows application. What app r u planning to run ?
  • nk.krishnak
    nk.krishnak
    mad_scientist
    try this :

#-Link-Snipped-#

thanks 4 the reply.....i am going to try this..
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    To see if your application is supported by wine and to what extent go here :

WineHQ - Wine Application Database
  • nk.krishnak
    nk.krishnak
    wassup
    krishnak, I am using dev version to run lot of application. Its been working flawlessly. Well it depends on what app you want to run on wine. Remember wine will never run all the windows application. What app r u planning to run ?
    HI,i am using dual os .win vista and ubuntu 9.04 and i have installed avira antivirus on vista .i thought i can use wine to run the same antivirus program 4 ubuntu also ..is it possible....
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Try bitdefender for unices. It is an antivirus for linux. You can register free for a serial key. I use the same and it is pretty good.

#-Link-Snipped-#

All you need is a vaild e-mail id. Once you register on their website by filling a small form they will mail you the serial key.
  • nk.krishnak
    nk.krishnak
    mad_scientist
    To see if your application is supported by wine and to what extend go here :

WineHQ - Wine Application Database
    thanks friend ..its very useful..and avira is in the list,,also..
  • nk.krishnak
    nk.krishnak
    mad_scientist
    Try bitdefender for unices. It is an antivirus for linux. You can register free for a serial key. I use the same and it is pretty good.

#-Link-Snipped-#

All you need is a vaild e-mail id. Once you register on their website by filling a small form they will mail you the serial key.
    ya i already know about bit defender..but can i use different antivirus program in the same system...
  • wassup
    wassup
    I don't think running a windows antivirus on linux is of any use. Since both OSes work differently u need different type of viruses n antiviruses. I think there is a linux version of AVG, try it. Running windows antivirus through wine is pointless.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Running a winndows based antivirus in Linux through wine is the same as running an aeroplane on diesel instead of aviation fuel!! Of course you can do it but it is pointless and may harm your system!!

I personally have not tried avg's linux edition, but if their windows edition is something to go by, I would not recommend it.
  • jhbalaji
    jhbalaji
    Linux is a Great OS mate No problems with virus there...
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Linux is not virus free!! I will admit that it has faced considerably lower number of threat of infections as compared to Windows and there have been no widespread infections, yet.

This largely due to the fact that, linux implements a multi-user environment, with specific permissions for each user. To do any harm, the malware (virus, worm or trojan) has to gain root access which is not easy (except maybe in case of Privilege Escalation situations), especially with a strong password.

Also, most vulnerabilities are patched quickly.

read more here :Linux Malware
  • nk.krishnak
    nk.krishnak
    mad_scientist
    Linux is not virus free!! I will admit that it has faced considerably lower number of threat of infections as compared to Windows and there have been no widespread infections, yet.

This largely due to the fact that, linux implements a multi-user environment, with specific permissions for each user. To do any harm, the malware (virus, worm or trojan) has to gain root access which is not easy (except maybe in case of Privilege Escalation situations), especially with a strong password.

Also, most vulnerabilities are patched quickly.

read more here :Linux Malware

BUT Some people say that in linux .exe is not executable that is the main reason why the viruses are not able to affect linux .. is it true?
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Actually you can run a .exe in linux through WineHQ - Run Windows applications on Linux, BSD, Solaris and macOS. I have played Counter Strike, and many other Windows' games on Linux!!

When someone is writing a malicious code for specifically linux, he is unlikely to compile it in a windows executive(.exe). Instead, he is more likely to compile it into a native linux format(.deb, .rpm, etc).
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    nk.krishnak
    hi everyone . i am using ubuntu 9.04 .could anyone let me know where i can get the stabe version of wine like wine 1.0.1...... and i find only development versions on its reference website...help.winehq.org/download -.......i learnt that the development versions gives some problems.....what can i do....
    Krishnan, if you have the money to spare then I would strongly recommend CrossOver for you. Its based on wine, but it ensures that I can play games like Warcraft, MS-Office 2007, et al flawlessly on my Ubuntu box.

It costs something like $40, but I have found this investment totally worth it.
  • nk.krishnak
    nk.krishnak
    friends i have a problem in running a .deb.run file . when i click it ,the terminal window opens and then it says "verifying the integrity " and the window closes without installing the application..what is the reason for it......
  • nk.krishnak
    nk.krishnak
    hai friends
    great to work in ubuntu 10.4 ....try it and dont miss it..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can anyone explain Diffusion Capacitance of a PN juntion diode. All I know is that it comes into play when the diode is Forward biased and increases exponentially with increase...
Hello i am nik. Iam in my 2nd b.tech nd have been assigned 2 do a project.can u plz giv me some suggestions
LASER IGNITION SYSTEM​ ​ Lewis and von Elbe's data on minimum spark ignition energies in gases have been the standard for many years, however, these data still do not agree...
Lets talk on outsourcing. What do you think? Is country talent sold at cheaper rates via outsourcing? Or Is country becoming the hub of IT?
hey plzzz friends can u tell me some fest names related to electronics plz plz