Working as engineer, no Uni

Hi CrazyEngineers,

I know there is not a lot of love for someone who does engineering without a degree, but please bare with me.

Ill try to keep this short.

I am Canadian and I got my telecom. technician diploma in college there.
After I graduated I was offered a electronics engineering position in my hometown. I moved to Japan, after 2 years working in Canada, and landed another engineering position. I truly love my job and really want to continue in engineering, but I want to move back to Canada. When I am planning on moving back, I will have about 17 years engineering experience.

Here is the question

Will my experience make up for my lack of formal education, or should I be planning on going back to school when i get back to Canada? (I will be in my early 40s at that time).

If I do need to go back to school, will my experience count for anything (I assume it depends entirely on the school)?

Thanks

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @TokyoSuits: Welcome to CE.

We at CrazyEngineers believe that engineering is not about getting a formal degree. It's more about the passion for engineering.
    As you mentioned, you have got a telecommunication technician diploma in college, it says that you have got at least some amount of formal education.
    Moreover, I think 17 years engineering experience will give you a thousand extra points over the majority of engineers with a degree.
    At the end of the day, work speaks for itself.

Going back to school, in your case would be just like brushing up the basic skills that you must have acquired through practical experience.
    Even so, if you wish to take a break from work and study, that will be a refreshing experience. ๐Ÿ˜€

I am sure other CEans will be able to help you through their views and opinions.

All the best!
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    I dont think you need to get a degree at this point of time.You have a good work experience and if you are skilled enough then your degree wont act as a barrier in between. I know people who have similar diploma such as yours but are holding good positions in their work places 'cos of their skills and experience. Do not worry. Try applying for a job, face the interview. You won't face any problem. Incase in your country, engineering degree is a major requirement, then you may opt for correspondence courses from universities offering them. In that way you can get your degree in a short period of time and keep working in your current place. Once you officially become an engineer, you can turn back to your home country ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I just wanted to take a snapshot of my screen from my macbook and I just found out how it is done. Here's sharing that with all of you. 1....
Its high time to implement this. This problem should be solved. The members should be given permission to delete their own post and the threads started by them. I beg...
I want to use only one query - the problem is: how to create new table from existing table in sql server
Hi frnds.. Using piezoelectric mtls to convert mechanical power to electrical power is costlier, can we replace it with any other material.๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
CEans, Lot of members have asked about the userID "CE-InFocus". Let me update - CE-InFocus is a bot that grabs the feed from our official blog 'VoiCE' and posts a...