WordPress.com Downtime

Taken from Matt Mullenweg's blog post: #-Link-Snipped-#

Today WordPress.com was down for approximately 110 minutes, our worst downtime in four years. The outage affected 10.2 million blogs, including our VIPs, and appears to have deprived those blogs of about 5.5 million pageviews.

What Happened: We are still gathering details, but it appears an unscheduled change to a core router by one of our datacenter providers messed up our network in a way we haven’t experienced before, and broke the site. It also broke all the mechanisms for failover between our locations in San Antonio and Chicago. All of your data was safe and secure, we just couldn’t serve it.

What we’re doing: We need to dig deeper and find out exactly what happened, why, and how to recover more gracefully next time and isolate problems like this so they don’t affect our other locations.

I will update this post as we find out more, and have a more concrete plan for the future.

I know this sucked for you guys as much as it did for us — the entire team was on pins and needles trying to get your blogs back as soon as possible. I hope it will be much longer than four years before we face a problem like this again.

Replies

• Guttu
    Guttu
    How come I miss this news?? I am surprised by 110 minutes downtime. That's a lot for a site like wordpress. Something similar is happening to BWT.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

is it really worth to pay money to consultances that promise to offer a job? I know some of the consultancies that says that if I pay money to them,...
can any body tell me si there any trick by which we can talk by inserting sim in laptop just like we inset memory card in it 😁
Hi! This is vijay.I m a student of B.TECH. Final year EEE.I need a latest & advanced ELECTRICAL topic for Seminar which is highly-stuffed with content as well as images.I...
The Boeing 727 House, in Benoit (Mississippi, USA). The plane set Joanne Ussary back $2,000.00, cost $4,000.00 to move, and $24,000.00 to renovate. The Spaceship House, in Chattanooga (TN, USA)....
Hey all, I am doing my electronics engineering from mumbai university.I got a year back after my 2nd year.In Last semester papers i gave 7 papers in which i cleared...