With MYO, You Can Play Music With A Snap

Gesture control based devices are now picking up pace with the smartphone and gaming console devices getting too monotonous in innovation. You must have already seen the #-Link-Snipped-# device which recognizes your hand movements and gestures with the corresponding action on the desktop or laptop, and now a device which looks promising enough to revolutionize gesture control is heading to you next year. The #-Link-Snipped-#, developed by Thalmic Labs which develops gesture control, wearable technology and human-computer interaction, is a product which has a bright future in the world of wearable computing.

myo-arm-band-gesture-controlโ€‹

The technology behind MYO is tracking and using the electrical activity that goes on in the muscles when there is a movement in your hands. These movements let you wirelessly control most of the devices like your computer, phone or other electronic device. The possibilities of MYO are endless where you could play music with just a snap of your fingers, or steer a robot with your palm or even change presentation slides with a wave of your hand. MYO is based on many platforms including Windows, Mac, Android and iOS. Developers have also been able to integrate MYO with Google Glass, Oculus VR and other devices too.

Leapmotion also had generated great excitement among the people and received many pre-orders, but after its release, the reviews weren't convincing, still having many bugs. But this won't last long until there's a software update where most of the bugs would be resolved. Again with MYO, the public release device should have minimal bugs after its release to sustain the hype and excitement among the consumers and not the developers.

Pre-orders for MYO have started already with more than 25,000 people having ordered the device. The armband costs $149 with additional shipping charges and delivery to be done by early 2014. Check out their introductory video which is truly exciting and overwhelming.

โ€‹
โ€‹
So what do you think are the possibilities with this device? What would you do if you had this device?โ€‹

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I would love to have it.Though it looks costly its quiet sensational and nice design.
    I would like to control my friens smartphone to make fun among us.
    what is the working style?Do we need to sync our devices to use it?
  • Abhijit Dey
    Abhijit Dey
    They haven't revealed anything yet. Mostly it would be connecting it through wifi with their software drivers. I bought the Leapmotion device and it had a software and an app store and a software for its orientation. Maybe something on the similar lines to MYO also!
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Abhijit Dey
    They haven't revealed anything yet. Mostly it would be connecting it through wifi with their software drivers. I bought the Leapmotion device and it had a software and an app store and a software for its orientation. Maybe something on the similar lines to MYO also!
    As yoi mentioned about the product please post your critical review on it.
  • Abhijit Dey
    Abhijit Dey
    Well the only working videos which have surfaced are the ones from Thalmic Labs. They haven't distributed it to other developers so no one is yet aware how it is made to work.

The MYO is an armband which you wear on your arm and it reads the electrical activity in your hands. The different electrical activities have different readings which are assigned different actions by the programmer and that is how the device works. I suggest you to watch both the videos to have a better idea!
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Abhijit Dey
    I bought the Leapmotion device and it had a software and an app store and a software for its orientation.

You purchased it for your project? I wanna see. If it is delivered tell me, I will be at your place within 10mins ๐Ÿ˜›. These devices are making me want them too.

But what to buy, LeapMotion or Armband?
  • Abhijit Dey
    Abhijit Dey
    Yes I have purchased it and I have it with me right now! Both leapmotion and MYO would have different markets, computers being the common one. I would say you should try out both!
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Abhijit Dey
    Yes I have purchased it and I have it with me right now! Both leapmotion and MYO would have different markets, computers being the common one. I would say you should try out both!

tomorrow, I want to try LeapMotion ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Abhijit Dey
    Abhijit Dey
    Nayan Goenka
    tomorrow, I want to try LeapMotion ๐Ÿ˜›

All in good time! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The Indian eCommerce in an interesting space. People keep on predicting doom or a bubble burst; but the bubble keeps on getting bigger in size with new entrants with speciality...
Hey guys, Below is a detailed information about network drives and how to create them on windows operating system. Network drive is a feature of windows operating system which serves...
Hey guys, I am currently working on a project for my software engineering class and there is this idea we built. I will tell about it in detail. Please feel...
frnds,hw cn we derive the equations for L& C in buck& boost converter.
Base OS gets affected by virus, Is it possible that OS in virtual box or vmware getting affected by virus.