Wiring an unpowered mic through a pot

I had a mountain of spare computer parts around, so I decided to turn them into a touchscreen jukebox project. As the project progresses, I've been adding more and more ideas to the mix. The latest is a "karaoke mode". As a musician, I also happened to have had a microphone hanging around too. Brilliant!

So, I ran to rat shack, bought an XLR connector, and wired everything up. The mic is going directly to the sound system on the jukebox, which is just a 5.1 card and a butchered 5.1 creative surround system. The mic is going directly to the line in on the card. Everything works fine. HOWEVER, I want to ad an external volume pot, instead of trying to adjust the volume with software, as some people sing louder than others. I got a pot, and wired it up, and it made no difference in the volume. I'm not super experienced with potentiometers, so I assume that it's not doing anything because it has to be powered? Or is there a way to make this work without amping the mic circuit?

Thanks. Forgive me if this is in the wrong forum. 😎

-Jay

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want to get started with C, any recommendations people.
Alrighty folks, Here's some tweaking you can use to get your 'fading' & 'buttonless' Google search engine- 1. Head over to Google.com [ make sure you are on Google dot...
I've been noticing the mushrooming of entrepreneurship cells [aka e-cells] at numerous engineering colleges. Surprisingly, these ecells are run by professors who aren't entrepreneurs themselves. I'm wondering how effective are...
I've a new view to look at the software piracy. While lot of software companies lose huge amounts of revenues through software piracy, there's another part to it. It results...
SolidWorks has organized "Solid Works World 2010" between January 31 – February 3, 2010 @ Anaheim, CA. More information on official website: SolidWorks World :: SolidWorks World