Windows Vs Linux

Dear all,

Could you all give your valuable comments regarding which platform has more advantages, Windows or Linux?

Please pour your knowledge into this...

Tight competition among them makes very difficult to judge..

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Swaroop,

Windows & Linux are two entirely different operating systems. Comparing the two would be similar to comparing apples with oranges. Each has its own advantages, and the use depends on what the user intends to do with the system.

Actually, there is no competition between the two operating systems. Windows is popular on desktops while majority of web servers run Linux/Unix based Operating Systems.

Any fruitful discussion is possible only when you tell us what are your parameters for judging these two operating systems.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I'm comfortable with both of them. But as Biggie said, it all boils down to user intention.

For ease of use and compatibility, windows is sufficient. But, need to frequently update and scan computer. Might need some decent computer hardware to run effectively (eg Vista).

For total customization, low resource requirements and security, any major linux distro would do. But.. need to be comfortable with doing advanced operations like modifying files, boot managers, and also spend time trying to fix compatibility problems.
  • hafthanhf
    hafthanhf
    Everyone says that linux is more suitable for weak PC than window. however, when I use both Ubuntu 8.04 and window XP on my computer, I see that window runs faster than Ubuntu in every applications, example, In Ubuntu, I load web much more slowly than in XP. (I'm newbie in linux 😎)
  • niraj.kumar
    niraj.kumar
    I use linux for development and windows for entertainment πŸ˜€ .
    Both are different kind of operating system and we should discuss this topic in some context like running webserver etc...
  • Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    I recently install fedora 9. And now i want to remove bad partition sector from my pen drive and also re size its cluster size. but i don't know the commands for it.
  • siva12
    siva12
    Both are entirely different Operating Systems.I am comfortable with Windows.I think everybody should comfortable with Windows.I would say Windows is USER FRIENDLY.
    -----------------------
    Siva
  • depps
    depps
    Definately linux has more advantages than windows however its not tat user friendly as windows but it may b bcoz of the reason tat people have not used it tat much as they use windows...............😁
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    depps
    Definately linux has more advantages than windows however its not tat user friendly as windows but it may b bcoz of the reason tat people have not used it tat much as they use windows...............😁
    Do not use SMS language. Read the CE Newbie instruction thread for more details.
    Also introduce yourself at the CE Introductions section.
  • depps
    depps
    Sure Y Not......πŸ˜‰

• raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    depps
    Sure Y Not......πŸ˜‰

It seems you have not understood my earlier post. I said no SMS language and introduce yourself in the CE Introductions section. Read all the Newbie training threads to know the basic rules of this place.
  • anki_0305
    anki_0305
    windows vista is slower then earlier versions of windows like XP.
  • Rahul Jamgade
    Rahul Jamgade
    Hi,

Windows and Linux are diffrent in many ways, But to note fw of them are,

1) Windows installation needs a bulky OS to be installed with a very little choice to configure which components are needed while installation.
    2) Linux can be installed with bare minimum kernel part and some basic utilities . Later you can add components as a part of modules added to kernel .
    3) Even the kernel can be made modular by customizing Linunx kernel and installing new kernel without any need to install the softwares even if the new kernel is installed on it. For Windows you need to install all the software again.
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    Linux has more advantages over windows.
    Many linux operating systems come with a large number of different tools.
    Linux systems provide much good GUI along with some additional packages like compiz.
    Further paging,scheduling techniques in linux give good performance than linux.
  • krishniha
    krishniha
    Windows XP is the Best
  • ritesh8385
    ritesh8385
    Linux has more advantage then windows merely because of it being open source so if you are innovative and knows programming you can develope some cool features.
    πŸ˜€
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Hey? Havent we debated this before??
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    kidakaka
    Hey? Havent we debated this before??
    Its techie's popular debate topic. Expect many more to follow πŸ˜‰ . Can't help!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Ya know, I honestly believe Vista isnt that bad as people are saying. Their UAC thing, despite being annoying as hell, actually DOES a good job at doing what it's supposed to do.

If you are willing to spend time learning Linux, then feel free to use it and take advantage of its features. Unfortunately, not everyone has ample time to give πŸ˜‰ There have been so many instances where I want to learn (and fix compatibility problems) Ubuntu and Fedora, only to neglect them due to other commitments. They are just sitting in their partitions until I'm free again *grin*
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    The_Big_K
    Its techie's popular debate topic. Expect many more to follow πŸ˜‰ . Can't help!
    God only knows in 5 words how a techie can debate...? πŸ˜•

😁
    😁
    😁
    -Crazy
  • deadmeat
    deadmeat
    swaroops1
    Dear all,

Could you all give your valuable comments regarding which platform has more advantages, Windows or Linux?

Please pour your knowledge into this...

Tight competition among them makes very difficult to judge..

Ya know i agree with the Big K's first reply.. u cant really compare them... if it was not for windows... we wouldnt be using the computers as much as we do now.. and if it was not for Unix our stock markets would be crashing every now n then..😁
  • nileshchakkar
    nileshchakkar
    deadmeat
    Ya know i agree with the Big K's first reply.. u cant really compare them... if it was not for windows... we wouldnt be using the computers as much as we do now.. and if it was not for Unix our stock markets would be crashing every now n then..😁
    Hi,
    Both are same useful n userfriendly but its depend on user view toward the system.
    Because we never see a pc with Linux everywhere but windows is there so we think that windows is better.
    But when there is question of external attack and virus at that time Linux is best.
  • sumitjami
    sumitjami
    😁LINUX ROCKS😁
    Proud to be an
  • cse_200509
    cse_200509
    no comparison!!!
    both are best at their works.
    windows are far away from linux (Security).
    Linux are far away from windows(popularity/usability).
    but linux is gaining popularity thesedays as well as it is now easy to use. Don't forget it is free also.
    i will say :
    decide yourself which one is better for u.
  • ideamonk
    ideamonk
    Ubuntu and Vista πŸ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Here's a small coding exercise for programming newbies. I asked this question in an interview to a computer science graduate and she could not solve it. It was surprizing. The...
Let's brainstorm on this one. I came across an old guy who was pulling his cycle rickshaw because he had no energy to peddle. I started thinking if we could...
Hi i own a website , I want to add free SMS from my website Remember i don't talk for 160by2 or other SMS provider's Application but i need own...
So will this crazy tee shirts be available for us?
😁 Taking a cue from Biggie's hourly update, here is my narration of the CE meet. About 2:30pm, CEan Mayur Pathak climbs a fast local to Churchgate. He is going...