Windows Server 2012 - A fool proof Server OS

The recently launched Windows Server 2012 is doing wonders in server world. Windows has made an excellent attempt towards perfecting the Server Editions by rectifying their known issues. One of the main reasons why people shifted to Linux for server purposed was security and run time performance. Well with the complete integration to cloud computing, Server 2012 resolves all these issues. Apart from that, it has pre integration to HYPER-V. The one stop mega innovation towards virtualization. The new Powershell and apex framework has made Windows once more the center of complete OS preference. Windows Server 2012 is performing in an excellent way in its performance as well as security. If you are looking to host a new server, try Windows this time and see for yourself.

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    This news promises the steps taken by windows to retain its customer base.Can Windows really give security equal to linux servers.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Windows never compromised its security. Any of the server edition windows launched was never buggy. The hacks and everything were a result of misconfiguration on admin's part. Software was never to be blamed. It was fool proof. But in this version, It has crossed heights of epicness. Companies have already started to migrate from linux to windows for servers now. And this is my personal experience. I use Server2012 too.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Nayan Goenka
    Companies have already started to migrate from linux to windows for servers now. And this is my personal experience. I use Server2012 too.
    Then why companies like Google,Facebook,IBM prefer Linux over Windows ?
    Well, I guess it's all about Freedom & Support. Some companies want to develop the server the way they want, Microsoft puts restrictions - while Linux don't.
    Talking about support, If there's bug you have to report in MS support & they will confirm the bug & will fix in the next patch, which will take quite time.
    In linux, the moment bug hits the launchpad, 1000 developers with same problem are working to fix it & it will be fix within few hours or minutes.

And btw, check this link : #-Link-Snipped-#

wewin
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    It does look like Windows Server 2012 is a lot better than previous versions. The move to visualization is welcome.

Plus, you can't compare desktop and server versions of Windows. Server versions are way superior in terms of stability and security, and its meant to be used in server environments.

Regardless, Windows Server & Linux have their own places in use. For companies that can afford the licenses and cost of maintenance with ease, its still fine to use Windows Server. Plus with visualization, you can still mix in some Linux environments if needed. In addition, there are businesses which benefit a lot from Active Directory domain services.

Whereas 100% Linux is great for all uses as long as you have got competent Linux server administrators (especially if you are using CentOS which does not have commercial support like RHEL or SUSE Enterprise). Most Linux server editions suit companies ranging from small businesses up to service provider levels. I used to work in a CentOS environment on a VoIP server, its a breeze to use, especially remotely.

My stance, personally, is that its good to have Windows Server & Linux Server (or even the closed source IBM i) existing in the market, to give greater choice for businesses of varying markets, and more importantly, having more competitive features being introduced.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Windows was tough to main, I agree with that. But it doesnt mean it wasnt secure. Or it wasnt worthy. I would prefer windows anytime over Linux. And the giants take have developed their own operating versions out of linux. That is exactly they built according to them. And you dont expect Google and Facebook to use their competitors products to handle their own network. Plus it is too costly affair to just migrate such huge frames between operating systems. That is holding back those companies whose servers run on tailor made operating system.

Even if you put up a perfect configuration of any type of server hosted on Windows Server 2003 vs any linux machine, Windows wont be hacked. And about the delay in updates, it is a centralized company unlike Linux. Service is never delayed, you put up a call, a field agent(remote/live) will be in least possible time. But judging the software on this basis is not correct. You need to check in all aspects. Only fast "bug-fix" doesnt make it good or bad.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Most of the people here might be using Google as their primary search engine. You got any doubts, ask Google. Nowadays, google has become more of a verb. Googling seems...
Hey guys, I have a MicroMax Canvas 2 plus or you may call it A5110Q. I like to play games on mobile so can anyone suggest me some of the...
Hey guys, as you all know that Linux is a completely open source operating system, it has a unique feature of being customisable as you want. It means you can...
Each process is given a memory space like so : ​When a process creates another process, the child process is given a memory space of its own too, but where?...
During our development of a table top sterilizer, I wanted to use a MEMS pressure sensor. This sensor was key to the satisfactory functioning of the whole device. The entire...