Windows Phone 8.1's Cortana App Screenshot Spotted

Microsoft’s Windows phone 8.1 update is becoming the most awaited update for windows phone users and developers. Some features of Windows Phone 8.1 were revealed when Windows Phone 8.1 Emulator Video Out, Features In Demo. The feature missing in the previous demo was Cortana, a digital voice assistant brought by Microsoft to compete the present digital voice assistants such as Apple’s Siri and Android’s Google Now. Screenshot of this voice assistant application is spotted on 'The Verge' and it is replacing the Bing search service on Windows Phone.

cortana_main_app

Cortana is a digital voice assistant named after Halo game series. On display, Cortana will take a form of animating circles instead of a female character. This shows that cortana is going to be similar to Apple’s Siri. Another feature of Cortana which matches it with Siri is that you can set your nickname i.e. it will set a name which voice-assistant will use to address you and it can be accessed in the setting menu of Cortana. Due to Artificial Intelligence, Cortana can learn about the user through his/her usage of phone and search queries he/she does on the phone. A rather important and interesting feature of this digital voice assistant is that it stores all the information and data in a Notebook. Notebook helps this assistant to access information like location, reminders, behavior of user, personal and contact information. Remember that cortana will store information and data after device administrator’s confirmation for storing.

cortana_main_app_settings

When it comes to the reminders, Cortana has a nice phrase recognition ability. Cortana can read the messages and email on the device and can set reminders or calendar events accordingly. For example if a message contain ”Tomorrow is Adam’s birthday”, Cortana will ask you whether to set a reminder or calendar event for birthday. Cortana will also generate notifications for reminders, calendar events and status of flights too, just like Google Now. This digital voice assistant will run on data services like Bing search, foursquare and some others to get similar contextual powers of Google Now.

Microsoft is using the name Cortana during their testing phase and it is not clear that Microsoft will use the same name in the final build. They will release the Windows Phone 8.1 update in upcoming developer build conference and will provide developer preview of Windows Phone 8.1 on the same day.

Source: This is Cortana, Microsoft’s answer to Siri - The Verge

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Gigasites, the two live network test sites developed by Optus to test its entire spectrum assets, have had many a firsts to their names: They've registered the highest total throughput...
Dear friends, I am looking for an ebook naming - Properties of Concrete- written by A M Neville. Regards Kyaw
Microsoft’s beloved Xbox live social gaming service is now all set to power Apple and Android devices. This would undoubtedly put Microsoft in direct competition with Apple’s game center and...
This papers are solved by our Telecom experts
I have completed my BE and I am planning to give the Comptia A+ and N+ certificate exam in near future. What other certifcate course training can one undergo in...