Windows 9 aka 'Threshold' will arrive in April 2015 & address Windows 8 debacle

We already know that Microsoft's Windows engineering team is already working on the next version of their flagship desktop operating system. The project is internally called 'Threshold' and the latest insider information suggests that Windows 9; as it's likely to be called, will make it to user's desktops, laptops and surfaces in April 2015. We also know that Windows 8.1 is likely to arrive in the next few weeks and address customer pain points that Windows 8 created.

slide

Microsoft may drop hints and a preview of upcoming features at the BUILD 2014; which is scheduled in April and is likely to focus on Windows phone and XBOX ONE. It's widely being believed that the next iteration of Windows is likely to make the 'Start' button reappear on the desktop. One more major change will include ability to run the metro-style applications on the desktop along with the regular desktop applications.

Microsoft will likely drop '8' from Windows version and go ahead with Windows 9; but that's still a rumour. Also, the Metro UI is likely to continue in Windows 9 and it may be called Metro 2.0; the more mature version of the Microsoft's tiled interface which it introduced in Windows 8. We might get a preview of the operating system in the next few months and there are likely to be three milestones - alpha, beta or RC; maybe.

Do you look forward to Windows 9? What are the biggest pain points you want Windows 9 to address?

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

When the sizes of smartphones are getting so big that they can no more fit in your pocket, where does one keep the keys? Why not combine them in one?...
My pen drive and my phone's memory card were detected by malware, after scanning all the data in them was still not visible or was hidden. In my computer the...
As promised, here's the first ever 'behind the scenes' blog post on all the happenings at CrazyEngineers. In December 2013; we received an invite from the organisers at Visvesvaraya National...
ArthaKranti - a Pune based organisation has been proposing an alternative to the flawed taxation system in India. The proposal simplifies the entire taxation system to just on type of...
Hello everyone. I am Aditi. I did B.Tech in ECE in 2011. after that I worked at IIT Delhi as Project Associate for 8 months. I am interested in networking....