Windows 8.1 Shipping Begins In August, Straight To OEMs

Tami Reller, Windows CMO & CFO took the stage at the Microsoft's annual Worldwide Partner Conference (WPC) in Houston, Texas and announced that Windows 8.1 will be shipped to the OEM partners in late August. The timing of the release indicates that Microsoft wants the OEMs to be prepared with the Windows 8.1 update for all their devices for the holidays. It's just two weeks that Microsoft announced the 8.1 preview for the masses to try out.

Windows81

Jensen Harris demonstrated the latest update to Microsoft's operating system and showed off how the OS is optimised to work on smaller form factor devices. He also demonstrated the Reading List app that lets you share stuff you encounter while browsing the web and other apps to read later. The data gets stored in the Skydrive, so you can access it from any device, anywhere. Jensen also talked about the importance of building a great search experience in Windows 8.1 (powered by Bing) and informed that in the US alone, people performed over 20 billion searches using Windows machines.

Jensen also demonstrated the Miracast technology built right into Win 8.1 that streams HD content over the Wi-Fi to other display like a TV. With about 100 million Windows 8 licenses sold, Microsoft seems to be quite excited about Windows! What do you think?

Via: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    What I like the most in Windows 8 is their pace(speed) . I dont like the user interface in pc's.But do like it in phones.
    Can this upgrade break androids dominancy?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    How can people use this type of Interface ?
    And, some claims Windows is graphically user-friendly than Linux! Dude please 😲
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Abhishek Rawal
    How can people use this type of Interface ?
    And, some claims Windows is graphically user-friendly than Linux! Dude please 😲
    Agreed. If I were so lazy enough to touch everything I see, I would use the new Windows UI. Unfortunately, most of us still use the hard version of computers and I guess Windows just wants us to shift to touch. But I can't replace anything for the comfort of the hard keyboard and wired mouse. Got accustomed to it!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

You would be surprise to hear this news that Ashok Leyland is making its entry in a segment where it had been never before. Yes Ashok leyland have planned to...
Twitter has finally come up with a solution to probably one of the most annoying and persistent flaws. The read/unread status of DMs would be now synced across all platforms,...
One of the major problems with total head transplant is the joining of the head with the spinal cord. New techniques available indicate that this is feasible. If the seat...
Setting attainable goals to be achieved in 60 to 90 days can keep Alzheimer's disease at bay. It can add meaningful years to one's life as a bonus. The goals...
Ubuntu's currently working on the custom display server "Mir" which will be replacing Xserver which we have used it for long years. (bye bye xorg, Imma take backup of my...