Windows 8 Logo Is A Window, Not A Flag!

The Redmond giant has just unveiled the new logo for the 'one platform for all' operating system, Windows 8. Microsoft's Sam Moreau in his #-Link-Snipped-# wrote that the new logo is in tune with Microsoft's promise to rethink the operating system. Microsoft's left nothing re-explored and that includes the company's Logo for Windows as well. Microsoft's logo has had a long history of contributing to the success of its operating system. However, the design team at Microsoft decided to redesign the logo to make it fit perfectly with the 'metro style' redesign of the user interface.

The design company that did the final job of designing Microsoft Windows 8 logo is "Work โ€” Browse by type of client". The question designers at Pentagram asked is "Your name is Windows, then why does your logo look like a flag?". It seems that the new Microsoft Windows 8 logo now takes a look of a Window and not the traditional flag.

Now take a look at the following new official Windows 8 logo and share your opinion about it.

windows-8-logo

Also take a look at the history of all the MS Windows logos and pick your favorite one. My personal favorite is Windows XP logo ๐Ÿ˜€ What about you?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ...and what I've been reading online is that the logo has been designed ground up using ...

a Mac! ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜จ ๐Ÿ˜’
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    its simple and matching with new tab button and touch interface.
    One thing I noticed in most of logos is "TM" at end of logo, what it is stands for??
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    It is very simple. It should have some more animated & more light effects
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    ^^ TM stands for TradeMark.

I like the new logo. It's simplistic and looks modern.
    Btw, looks like Windows 8 will truly be a different experience this time. Let's see how it changes the way we compute!! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ianoop
    One thing I noticed in most of logos is "TM" at end of logo, what it is stands for??
    Wondered what the 'R' at end of our logo stands for? ๐Ÿ˜€

silverscorpion
    Btw, looks like Windows 8 will truly be a different experience this time. Let's see how it changes the way we compute!! ๐Ÿ˜€

I think the customer preview is releasing on 29th this month. This should give you an idea -

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The_Big_K
    Wondered what the 'R' at end of our logo stands for?
    Registered!
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    The R indicats federally registered, unlike TM, and is Patented.
    Am I right?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    When a trade mark is applied; 'SM' (service mark) or 'TM' (Trade Mark) symbol can be used until it's finally accepted and 'registered' with the official authorities. The 'R' mark can only be put once the trade mark is registered.

"CrazyEngineers" (how many know it's ONE word!) registered with the Government Of India and no one can use it without our permission.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The_Big_K
    "CrazyEngineers" (how many know it's ONE word!) registered with the Government Of India and no one can use it without our permission.
    So does (TM, SM, R) it apply Globally or just within India?

Like Windows is global and its logo has TM. While, what you said in above post refers India.

OR, for launching this logo, Windows has to register with GOI? If so then their logo may not have TM/SM/R in US and other countries!

P.S: I am unaware with legal terminologies.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    The_Big_K
    I have seen the ยฎ symbol at the end of the logo! ๐Ÿ˜€ It costs too much na?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I like the new Windows Logo.
    The news was covered on VoiCE 6 days ago:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Looks like, Windows 8 is going to be an altogether different experience for the users.
    Even the first thing we learn to clickm the 'Iconic Start Button', is going to be removed from Windows 8.
    Read - #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I have installed developer preview on my machine but interface wise not so revolutionary like windows 7.
    Windows 8 is very good only for touch monitors.
    If I am using folder explorer why do need tool ribbons, shadowing lots of spaces. Even I do not use menubar in windows 7. Using mouse/touchpad and accessing apps on metro style icon is irritating.
    Improvement are there in, interface is little feels smoother, better network management, user management and yes, booting is fast.
    Let see what will be in beta version.
    Final version expected to release in Oct,2012.
    Does anyone know when MS is releasing beta version??
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    ianoop
    I have installed developer preview on my machine but interface wise not so revolutionary like windows 7.
    Windows 8 is very good only for touch monitors.
    If I am using folder explorer why do need tool ribbons, shadowing lots of spaces. Even I do not use menubar in windows 7. Using mouse/touchpad and accessing apps on metro style icon is irritating.
    Improvement are there in, interface is little feels smoother, better network management, user management and yes, booting is fast.
    Let see what will be in beta version.
    Final version expected to release in Oct,2012.
    Does anyone know when MS is releasing beta version??
    They say it will come in Feb, so we might see it by the last week of this month.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

A lot of my friends, who want to buy tablets, are waiting for the Windows 8 release. Everyone thinks Windows 8 will do great on tablets & smartphones.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    AbraKaDabra
    They say it will come in Feb, so we might see it by the last week of this month.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

A lot of my friends, who want to buy tablets, are waiting for the Windows 8 release. Everyone thinks Windows 8 will do great on tablets & smartphones.
    We are already in the end of Feb... Hopefully waiting for the Developer's release or SDK for Win8! ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Is it possible to have an 'autocorrect' function when typing like word does? Sometimes I type fast because im at work and realise that i make too many little mistakes....
Apple's brand new operating systems for the Macs "Mountain Lion" will not be available on USB drives; instead the operating system will be made available through the App store only....
Google's just released the DART engine on Chromium and the tech preview is now available to download. Those looking to learn and code using DART may quickly download the DARTIUM:...
We designed a camshaft and manufactured it using EN8 Steel for a 4s ic engine(splendor bike's). Before started working on it,is it better to harden it? if so for EN8...
I have an interface in JAVA and have created 2 drop down using Choice() in AWT. I use JMatLink for Java Matlab connectivity. Now, whatever i select in drop down...