Wind Turbines take Flight to catch the Wind

Quote:
Before the average onshore wind turbine produces a single watt, more than 100 tons of structure, several million dollars in capital investment and a suitable site all have to come together perfectly. Bigger turbines produce more power, but in many places they need to compete for fewer acceptable sites. Put simply, tower-based turbines may be reaching the limit of the technology.

But what if the tower was done away with and the turbine was up high – really high. Average wind speed doubles every 30 meters in altitude. Power is based on the cube of the wind speed, so altitude is an attractive option. This is where many think the technology is headed: aerial wind turbines.
Endquote

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• ManojKiran Eda
    ManojKiran Eda
    Many people say that in order to rotate a wind turbine we should supply electricity to that during starting....is it correct?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    MANOJ KIRAN
    Many people say that in order to rotate a wind turbine we should supply electricity to that during starting....is it correct?
    Not really. What can happen is that at low wind velocities the spin is slower and the voltage below usable limits. Generally the generator is designed to cut in at wind velocities around 7 kmph. Best is around 30 kmph.
    Some turbines have a gear box designed to increase the RPM of the generator shaft. Such wind mills may have a higher starting torque. Even these are not powered for start up. They may need a higher wind velocity to start.
  • Mr.whatever
    Mr.whatever
    MANOJ KIRAN
    Actually in wind power generation we have to deal with variable speed of wind and hence we have to use variable speed turbine or DFIG.Use of DFIG has many advantages so we supply power during running condition when the speed of wind is quite low to maintain the rotation of Generator but at starting i didnt herd about feeding power to that generator.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Lenovo India has silently pushed its new Android tablet in the Indian market with Lenovo A8-50, an 8-inch Android device that features voice-calling. Running on the slightly older Android 4.2...
A report from Economic Times blew up the entire techblog space this weekend with the news of a WhatsApp rival being planned by Google. This news is as interesting as...
Hi there, I'm in a dilemma here 😔 I've read the specifications for uploading the files and made the photo, sign and certificate. Still the error shows up in the...
Sir Engineers, do you have any ideas how to calibrate gas sensor mq2 using pic microcontrollers?? Any schematic or circuit for these projects? Thanks..
I have read that , best text book for propulsion is gas turbines , by many of my friends , what do you suggest me friends ?