Wind energy - Without blades! Just move the charges

Why use a windmill that has to rotate a turbine, convert the variable mechanical output to electricity, regulate and use?
Can a nonmechanical system be conceived?
Two TU Delft researchers have come up with an ingenious concept of using wind energy to move chrged particles up a potential hill, directly generating electricity.
look mom, no blades!
(Sent by my nephew Mani Vadari, Seattle, USA)
Quote:
How does a "windmill" without mechanically moving parts work? TU Delft researchers Johan Smit and Dhiradj Djairam developed the EWICON (Electrostatic Windenergy CONvertor), a windenergy convertor that transforms windenergy into electricity without mechanical moving parts. This animation shows how it works and can be deployed.
Endquote

Replies

• lal
    lal
    I have a doubt there. Are these charged particles the ones already present in the atmosphere? If that is the case, how would wind carry only the positively charged particles? Or may be I got it all wrong!😖
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    There is a charge generator, which generates charges using electric power. Not much power is needed for this. The wind energy transport the charges to a higher potential level, which requires energy. This is supplied by the wind.

A lot more work needs to be done before any commercial product results.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Using a low-power infrared laser, the Heriot-Watt University engineers have been successful in capturing high-resolution images with 3D details by stationing their system from a distance as long as one...
CEans, I'm pleased to announce the return of CrazyEngineers 'Conference' - our real time interaction / chat system for all our members. Those who've been on CE for a long...
Making raves in news, the hot topic of discussion among engineering students is the news report in TOI that says - 88% of IITB students say that they don't study...
The Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited and the Electronic Corporation of India Ltd (ECIL) signed a MOU to deploy Carrier Ethernet Switch Routers across 8 sites at a ceremony held in...
what is pn sequence.?