Winch to move people up/down exterior stairs-help!

Hi:
I'm not an engineer (or even close to it); I'm a marketing/advertising consultant--about as far as you can get!!

My husband and I are (hopefully) retiring to an island of coast of Florida, USA. Lots of 2-story homes built up on stilts in case of storm surge.

My question is--if we buy one of these and actually get to be impaired physically in some way (I'm not talking about terribly impaired--talking about break a leg or whatever), is it feasible to use a winch, attached outside to the eaves of the house, balanced, with a chair and "seat belt", to lift someone up the stairs.

Know this sounds crazy (and that's why I was attracted to this forum!). I know it would depend on the house, location of stairs, placement of stair landing, etc. But, with some work, and help from someone who knows what they are doing, do you think this is feasible. Thanks ever so much! D.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thread moved to mechanical engineering section.

PS: Don't worry. We believe Engineering is not about degrees or certificates. Welcome to CE.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Sure, you could use anything from a Bosun's chair (low tech) to mechanical lifts/elevators. They also make those stair lifts as well.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Lifehacker - Lifehacker Pack 2009: Our List of Essential Free Windows Downloads - Lifehacker Pack 2009 (Windows)We feature downloads of all kinds every day at Lifehacker. Today, however, we're... More...
Can anyone tell me good innovating ideas for final year project in Mechanical engineering?
Following might be useful to those with wordpress powered blog - 1. Create a favicon. You may use any of the following free services - Dynamic Drive- FavIcon Generator favicon.ico...
Temporarily Removed!! Post removed temporarily due to personal reasons!! Kindly forgive me. Will put it back up soon. Thank You for understanding.
​Does the world really, truly need another netbook? How about even a single one of these so-called smartbooks? Freescale's hoping the answer to both of those questions is "absolutely, yes,"...