Will Jio voice calls (VoLTE) consume data?

I'm curious to know whether the voice calls made on the Reliance Jio network will consume the 'data' that users are being charged for? My best guess is 'No'; based upon the information I've found online. But I'd rather want to know from those who're in the networking / telecom domain.

I got a message on WhatsApp 'exposing' the trick Reliance Jio is playing with the customers. It says that because Jio supports VoLTE, your calls will eat into the data pack that you're being offered. I think the message is crap.

Experts, please?

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Well I think this might be true because VoIP is going to be the cheapest that you can offer near to FREE.
    And with 4G + VoLTE it is very easy to have VoIP and let user think they are doing free calling. So I just guess this might be trick but if they are going to provide genuine free calling then that's really mystery as they must have to pay something to other operator !
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    They made it clear that voice calls will be totally free and will not deduct from 4G data balance.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    First thing to know here is the difference between a 4G LTE smartphone and a smartphone that supports Voice over LTE (VoLTE). If you have a VoLTE enabled smartphone then things are better, you can make calls from your dialer without switching on/ consuming data. If you have a 4G ONLY smartphone things take a turn for the worse. You will have to install the Jio Join app on your Android smartphone and make calls over the app. This app (Jio Join) requires you to switch on your mobile data for making calls. This has a big disadvantage, in order to receive calls you will have to keep your mobile data ON and this will enable apps running in the background to consume data and thus your battery. I have confirmed this information myself. The only problem here is I cannot know if it CHARGES data as the friend who owns the smartphone is on the Welcome Preview Offer that means the data it consumes is registered as NIL.

If we want to believe Reliance’s side of the story, they say, that calls over the Jio Join app will not incur data charges once the preview offer is over. We will know the exact truth once we arrive in 2017.

PS: For more information you can visit #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I have a VoLTE phone so I guess I'm all set for JIO. Thanks for the information, Satya. 👍
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    #-Link-Snipped-# I also have done same test yesterday night 😀

So It's better you have VoLTE phone if want to use Jio.
    Redmi 3S Prime + Jio - "All Lines are busy" = AWESOME experience.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Harshad Italiya
    #-Link-Snipped-# I also have done same test yesterday night 😀

So It's better you have VoLTE phone if want to use Jio.
    Redmi 3S Prime + Jio - "All Lines are busy" = AWESOME experience.
    Have you been getting 'all lines busy' message when calling on other networks?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Have you been getting 'all lines busy' message when calling on other networks?
    I am doing some study on this and this is quite common when I am calling to Vodafone user while it's having near to ZERO chance when I am calling BSNL Landline. Isn't this fishy?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The Chinese phone maker, Meizu has unveiled the latest M3 Max phone. With its humongous 6" display, the phone offers a punch for the price. Officially priced at 1699 Yuan...
Would you bet on a smartphone with complementary specifications at a mid-range price? If your answer is affirmative you can go with the latest Intex offering, Aqua S7. Equipped with...
Everyone knows IVRS systems are painful to use. Finding a human customer care executive hidden behind the robotic voices of IVRS is nothing short of a treasure hunt; with no...
Hi Sir, if i took GRE, can i able to crack my campus placement test?
Just wrote a post introducing our resume builder app: Introducing the Resume Builder App for Engineers - CrazyEngineers Official Please feel free to write your comments, feedback, questions, suggestions.