Will internet radio take over the traditional radio?

I see that in the recent times, the Internet radio is rapidly being adopted and services like Rdio and Pandora are popular than ever. That said, the traditional radio (FM services) still enjoys the wider spread (am I wrong?). Do you think the internet radio will take over the traditional radio in the next few years?

Apart from HD streaming (320 kbps?), I don't see any advantage that Internet radio offers over the traditional radio. Of course, the wide range of channels Internet radio offers can never be matched by the traditional radio which is limited to defined geographies. What do you say?

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Some traditional FM stations here have internet streams as well. I usually listen to them when I'm working on the laptop. At least with the internet, the song playlist can be seen (and at times the FM stations post videos of DJ's antics).

On the road, is back with tuning to the FM broadcasts. Can't beat their large coverage where internet is super slow or non-existent. Plus, radio equipment is super cheap, low powered and long lasting.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Traditional radios can only stream local channels.
    With Internet radio you can stream channels of different countries, I guess. Which is the big plus if you wanna listen some Foreign songs.

Traditional radios can't stream hardcore hiphop channels of East-Coast or West-Coast of US, If I am staying out of United States.
    I guess, the use of Internet radio & Traditional FM Radio is totally different, hence it can't be compared.
  • Spaceship
    Spaceship
    I think that it won't happen in the next several years, or even in the next decade or two, but eventually internet will take over radio completely once truly global wi-fi coverage becomes technologically possible and internet equipment becomes a bit cheaper. Internet is just so much more versatile than radio, and it can get signals from much, much further away. Once the technology becomes cheaper and more powerful, which will take many years, it will become completely dominant.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    I've never used internet radio till date. What are the most famous sites? I am a huge fan of FM radios and tune in whenever I can.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Its unmatched competition.You are comparing two different generation media devices .So it will definitely internet radio(provided net connection)
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Traditional radio is limited to a particular locality This makes it have a fatal mistake

But Internet radio has much better coverage region and so it can easily over pass any challenge put forth by traditional radio
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Why should one replace the other? Both have their own advantages. An FM radio is available for as low as 100 bucks, it's available all over the city and it's not dependent on limited data connection (viz. 3G, 4G). Can internet radio better that?

However, if one is sitting in front of a computer with full internet access, internet radio would make more sense.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

At a time when governments across the world are implementing surveillance programs like PRISM, keeping your anonymity has become quite difficult; in times like these people have been heavily relying...
CEans, we're continuously working on resolving the issues and have managed to get the site back online. It'd be nice if you could keep an eye on the 'users online'...
Can anyone provide IS 14223 for me so that I can get some details about polishing of Kotah stone flooring.
How do you categorize your Folders / bookmarks? Organizing this is tedious work. I've got thousands of Documents, Utilities, bookmarks and I am about to undertake the task to organize...