Will Indian Teaching practices for engineering improve?

As we know we engineers in india have to struggle oustside after graduating,,,while in other countries industry related experience is given while studying,,,,do you think this pattern may change or should continue?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    In the late 50s we had regular visits to industries in nearby areas. We had visits to Caltex refinery, South Eastern Railway workshop and various chemical industries. We also had to work on machines like lathes, milling machines and smithy tools. Likewise we had to work on electrical machinery like motors and generators. Annual visits to Industries across the country was an added feature. We did learn a lot of hands on industrial engineering.

It is not that proper practices did not exist. May have got diluted now. Worth a revisit.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Praveen1986
    As we know we engineers in india have to struggle oustside after graduating,,,while in other countries industry related experience is given while studying,,,,do you think this pattern may change or should continue?
    Most of the engineering colleges offer summer internships. Are they not enough?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Anand Tamariya
    Most of the engineering colleges offer summer internships. Are they not enough?
    Wow nice to hear But how many are so called interned students come out on top of the world

The day a college removes the self thinking nature of a student They have failed in the sole purpose of education
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    One interesting thing, particularly in IT field is that most of the technologies which the student studies are getting obsolete, so it is difficult to cope up with the increasing technical advancements of industry.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Conqueror
    Wow nice to hear But how many are so called interned students come out on top of the world

The day a college removes the self thinking nature of a student They have failed in the sole purpose of education
    The problem, as I see it, is not lack of exposure to Industry. It's students' lack of getting involved in whatever they are exposed to.

One interesting thing, particularly in IT field is that most of the technologies which the student studies are getting obsolete, so it is difficult to cope up with the increasing technical advancements of industry.
    That's why students are taught basics of IT - like logic and algorithm. But they keep complaining that they are not taught the latest. What they forget is - industry needs people who can adapt and teach themselves whatever is required by business.
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Anand Tamariya
    That's why students are taught basics of IT - like logic and algorithm. But they keep complaining that they are not taught the latest. What they forget is - industry needs people who can adapt and teach themselves whatever is required by business.
    I agree that Industry needs flexible people, but that does not mean they should not be taught the latest technologies. If only flexibility is the need, then what is the need of engineering in IT, I have seen even Mechanical Engineers become IT developers, but those are exceptions (and the flexible ones) and so flexibility is good, but knowing the latest beforehand is better.
  • er.prit
    er.prit
    well as per my opinion is concerned teaching practices is not going to improve. still teaching practice is totally isolated within the theoretical approach and not confined with the latest technology.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    but knowing the latest beforehand is better.
    There's a LOT OF LATEST knowledge which simply CANNOT be included in a 4 year course. Take IT - there are so many programming languages. You think all of that can be taught. And before you say you need atleast one or two, keep in mind ALL of those languages are used albeit in different domains.
  • ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    The thing is that, the teaching quality was good during the early years. Maybe, you can say till 1970s / 80s, then came the downfall. But, can anyone say why or how the quality went down?
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    I'd hazard another perspective - previously resources were limited and students wanted to make the most of it. So they had a dedication of a zealot. However, today kids know that most of the answers are only a "google" away. So they barely take the trouble to learn something.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Yesterday, I saw this video by code.org I request all Engineers to watch it & drop your thoughts below 😀
hi guys ! this is gugan from Tamilnadu studying M.Tech in structural engineering @ IIIT-H ! here i stepped wihh a new thought of exploring much more about civil engineering...
ABACUS’13 Event is conducted during MARCH 17TH-MARCH 19TH aBaCUS is a national level technical symposium conducted by Computer Science Engineering Association - College of Engineering, Guindy. The technical symposium of...
can i know what is differnce between electric and electronics
hai friends, I want to know about what material can be used to shield the magnetic force between two high power neodynium magnets