Will Google Glass affect our imaginative, creative & thinking powers?

Google Glass is quite different from all our regular computing devices and gadgets. It literally puts all the power of computing and the Internet right in front of our eyes; and it has the power to do so 24x7, except when you're sleeping. I believe devices like Google Glass will, over a period of time, begin affecting our imaginative, creative and thinking powers. I'm also convinced that effect is going to be more negative than positive and we all should be concerned and informed about adopting such devices in our everyday lives.

Let me explain-

People would usually try to derive entertainment from most of the electronic gadgets. When computers arrived, majority of the people began using it for watching movies and storing music and photos. When smartphones and tablets arrived, gaming and social sharing took the foremost usage of these devices. I'm not sure about Google Glass; but given the historical trend, we may safely assume that Google Glass will become an entertainment gadget.

That said, Google Glass will do this every minute. If you are talking to someone; Google Glass will eliminate the need of having to remember the name of the person, your historical meetings with the same person (if any), their contact information, the address they'll tell you to remember (Google Maps will auto store it for you) and so on. This wasn't 'very easy' with the current generation of gadgets. But Google Glass has the power to eliminate all the 'efforts'.

With all the information being presented ready-made, I think our imagination and thinking power will diminish over a period of time.

What's your take?

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    I have never used i-pods and tablets or any of the advanced electronic junk.

And i will never ever use Google glass . so i have nothing to worry about.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    zaveri
    I have never used i-pods and tablets or any of the advanced electronic junk.

And i will never ever use Google glass . so i have nothing to worry about.
    Well, an argument can be made that computers have in-fact made us more imaginative. That's the reason I said Google Glass is very different from other computing gadgets. It's right their in front of your eyes, affecting one of your primary senses.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, an argument can be made that computers have in-fact made us more imaginative. That's the reason I said Google Glass is very different from other computing gadgets. It's right their in front of your eyes, affecting one of your primary senses.
    generally speaking, every coin has two sides, that is two say, the greater the advantages of anything, the disadvantages associated with the same thing is of the same magnitude.
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It may be the other way round, it may give a practical shape to our imagination,
    For example, if we imagine a ship, we could, on the go, draw the 3D model of the ship, and then augmenting other technologies like 3D printing, we can make our imagination live! I know this type of tech will take time, but this will be awesome 😀
  • micheal john
    micheal john
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Google Glass is quite different from all our regular computing devices and gadgets. It literally puts all the power of computing and the Internet right in front of our eyes; and it has the power to do so 24x7, except when you're sleeping. I believe devices like Google Glass will, over a period of time, begin affecting our imaginative, creative and thinking powers. I'm also convinced that effect is going to be more negative than positive and we all should be concerned and informed about adopting such devices in our everyday lives.

Let me explain-

People would usually try to derive entertainment from most of the electronic gadgets. When computers arrived, majority of the people began using it for watching movies and storing music and photos. When smartphones and tablets arrived, gaming and social sharing took the foremost usage of these devices. I'm not sure about Google Glass; but given the historical trend, we may safely assume that Google Glass will become an entertainment gadget.

That said, Google Glass will do this every minute. If you are talking to someone; Google Glass will eliminate the need of having to remember the name of the person, your historical meetings with the same person (if any), their contact information, the address they'll tell you to remember (Google Maps will auto store it for you) and so on. This wasn't 'very easy' with the current generation of gadgets. But Google Glass has the power to eliminate all the 'efforts'.

With all the information being presented ready-made, I think our imagination and thinking power will diminish over a period of time.

What's your take?
    Lets hope this gadget will help us increase our imagination power not decreasing.
  • Shweta vantamuri
    Shweta vantamuri
    we can use it for our benefit
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, that's what's being advertised. But I'm quite sure that all of you will agree that calculators and now Google have totally destroyed our ability to do basic math mentally (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division). At times, I personally found myself relying more on calculator (app on my mobile) than being confident about my multiplication (simple two digit).

I no longer memorise the 'things to bring from the market'. When I was a kid, my mom would 'tell me' the list of ~10 items to bring from the market and the quantity. I'd remember it without having to take special efforts. But now, I simply note everything on my mobile app.

I think affecting memory is just the 'first step' towards the worst. It's yet to make its presence felt.
  • micheal john
    micheal john
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, that's what's being advertised. But I'm quite sure that all of you will agree that calculators and now Google have totally destroyed our ability to do basic math mentally (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division). At times, I personally found myself relying more on calculator (app on my mobile) than being confident about my multiplication (simple two digit).

I no longer memorise the 'things to bring from the market'. When I was a kid, my mom would 'tell me' the list of ~10 items to bring from the market and the quantity. I'd remember it without having to take special efforts. But now, I simply note everything on my mobile app.

I think affecting memory is just the 'first step' towards the worst. It's yet to make its presence felt.
    agreed
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Effecting memory hmmm, its happening. But again this is a personal choice. We can try to remember or note down which ever is easier for us.

But the discussion is on google glass, I am not so sure what google glass does but after reading through your post I share the same concern.

Let me quote an example, recently I was filling a crossword and it asked capital city of a country, I remember many countries and capitals when I was a kid. I was thinking hard and i have found the answer in 10 mins.

There was another option is to search the information in google on my phone.

So as far as usage is concerned slowly but steadily they make us slaves. Voluntarily or involuntarily it makes.

After knowing about spelling corrector, I forgot that i have to type with proper spellings. 😛

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quora is famous for interesting questions and answers. I thought of looking at all the technical discussions and decided to visit the 'Electrical Engineering' related topics. I was surprised to...
Let's collect all the thoughts, opinions and advices from engineers who've been working in IT Industry (it doesn't matter how long you've been working ; be it 2 months or...
Now for example lets take light bulbs. now how many hands does a batch of light bulbs change, when it is brought to the local electrical shops, from the manufacturer...
what are the steps to get patent for a new idea? How to make our ideas worthy?
In India (four handed) Krishna was the cow herd. In Australia a four wheeled robot 'Rover' seems to handle the job quite well. No flute though. Quote: A four-wheeled device,...