Will electronics engineers become jobless?

With the the current technology advancement its been predicted that Moore's law will breakdown in next 15-20 years this will be because the number of transistors on a chip will become so huge that the heat produced in cheap will destroy it.So does this means that electronics engineers will lose their jobs as the next big game changing technology is thought to be the IBM's quantum dot (basic unit of quantum computers).

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I agree with you but bit with the reason you have given. Right now its very tough condition for Electronics Engineers. Job opportunity decreasing very fast. Reason is not clear yet but may be as there is crisis in europian country.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    On the contrary, I see more electronics engineering job opportunities as the electronics stuff starts to fail. Come on guys, electricity is going to accompany us for a long time. Electrical and Electronics engineers aren't going out of job. There might be recession, but people going jobless isn't a possibility.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    EE jobs will cease when all electrons reach ground state, which will not be in a hurry. Electronics is not just computing. Power generation, transmission, control and use will be with us for millennia. There is no need to ground the charge yet. Let the sparks fly!
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I assume you are still in college, and I can understand your apprehension. But the doom scenario you have mentioned is still a long way ahead.

Yes, it's true that Moore's law is fast approaching its break-down point. Life After Moore's Law. What it means is that, we can no longer double the number of transistors in a chip, and consequently the performance, every eighteen months. It doesn't mean there won't be any improvement at all. It just means that the increase won't be as fast as it used to be. In the same link I mentioned, he talks about parallel processing to be a possible solution to this situation. There is some merit to that idea, though you can pretty easily figure that it's only a matter of time before that improvement also runs dry.

Although all this sounds like doom-and-gloom, there are numerous avenues where active research is being carried out to find the successor to silicon. There is active research for a room temperature superconducting material. There is research in nano-technology and carbon nano tubes. There is optical (photonic) computing where instead of electrons, you use photons to store and process information. And then, there is quantum computing as well. So, since all these are in a research stage, their respective fields might not be called electronics. Rather, they will be plain physics or nanotech or optics or quantum mechanics. But eventually, I think the field of electronics will have to broaden to accommodate all these developments, or at least those that are adopted on a massive scale. In that sense, electronics engineers will surely be in demand, no matter what. As for the immediate prospects, I would say it shouldn't be that hard.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi

this is narayan, happy to join the group, i am from dharwad karnataka where i did my schooling and did my my civil engg B Tech from Pune and M...
hey guys, javac is not recognized in cmd window,even i hv set path as C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0\bin . Pls someone help me 2 solve tis prob........
MIT’s Aeolus To Prevent Accidental Data Leaks ‘Surface’ – Microsoft’s Windows 8 RT Tablet. Should iPads & Androids Worry? Robot To Mimic Human Fingertip & Touch – USC Viterbi Engineers...
Name: Ketan Ghatole😎 Engineering Trade: Comp. Sci. & Engineering Location: NagpurOccupation: Student Hobbies & Interests: surfing,reading,playing chess Aim in life:I m Going to become PErfect Businessman,It can be further expanded....