Why Zero Important?

Today I was listining song "Hae Preet Zahan ki Reet" from Purab aur paschim

there was serious argument between pran and manoj kumar just before that song about India

In this song there are lines "जब ज़ीरो दिया मेरे भारत ने ,भारत ने मेरे भारत ने ,दुनिया को तब गिनती आयी"

Why is zero so much important, what could have happened if zero was not there?

Replies

• Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Manish Goyal
    Today I was listining song "Hae Preet Zahan ki Reet" from Purab aur paschim

there was serious argument between pran and manoj kumar just before that song about India

In this song there are lines "जब ज़ीरो दिया मेरे भारत ने ,भारत ने मेरे भारत ने ,दुनिया को तब गिनती आयी"

Why is zero so much important, what could have happened if zero was not there?
    Seems interesting...

Well, if "Zero" was not there, probably we cannot count beyond 9 or just can't start to count, 0 is the first number
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Because, I am engineer and start counting with 0 ☕

Anyway here you can find some of importance in maths
    A Story about Absolutely Nothing
    #-Link-Snipped-#

In simple word, Zero is the thing which adds value to a digit in number.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    If zero is not there it would be difficult to count beyond 9 because in ancient times they used Roman numerals to count which is more difficult to follow on.
    Due to invention of Zero by Aryabatta , the maths revolution started.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    If there was no zero, then i guess we all would not be here chatting in CE !😀
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    MDCCCLXXXVIII is a Roman numeral, which has no zero. in Arabic numerals with zero this becomes 1888.

This is important I guess.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I think Zero is ALSO so important because it helps us count items in large quantities or smaller quantities. Zero (or Shunya in Sanskrit, which means vacuum or non-existential) is the basis of every computation.

or

When I was a kid, I had a hard time understanding how decimal system worked. And now, I can't even begin to imagine - how deep an impact the "0" makes.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    Due to invention of Zero by Aryabatta , the maths revolution started.
    Thank you for calling me Aryabhatta. You see, my contribution to maths is also "ZERO". In fact, my contribution in every field is "ZERO".😁

Jokes apart, These are some simple points.

1. we should think of 0 as a concept and not a numeral. For example in electrical zero is ground but is considered as a source of infinite negative potential.

2. In maths 0!=1!=1.

3. In linear Algebra "Zero" is not "Zero". I.e; In any matrix, zero has a meaning of "quantity which is zero".
    But if you leave a space blank, it means that there is no character and the variable is absent I.E; non- existent.

3. Zero is also a level. In measuring pressure, Vacuum pressure is considered as 0 bar but atmospheric pressure is measured with reference to sea level.

Height of sea level from sea level- 0 meter.
    But pressure at sea level= 1.01325 Bar.

4. Zero is taken as base, in temperature measurement. It is referenced to many different points like triple point, boiling point, freezing point etc.

5. In logarithm however, the base is 10. For calculating natural log, the base is 'e'=2.718.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello crazy engineers' friends , First off I'd like to congratulate you for the excellent work . You guys are doing a great job . Keep it up . Now...
Dear friends here is a question from 'Mechanical Vibrations by Rao' ..... The statement pointed by the red arrow is full of confusion because it is stating that the displacement...
Can i get job without degree with the help of doing certification? Currently i am doing CCNA. I need 2 more years to complete my BE but i cant wait...
After launching a few mid-range tablets and phablets HP has ventured into the entry-level segment with its latest Android tablet. The HP 7 Plus Tablet is the most affordable tablet...
As per recent news, the Gorakhpur-bound Gorakhdham express rammed with the goods train near Chureb railway station in Sant Kabir Nagar district in Uttar Pradesh. Atleast 10 are feared to...