Why Windows is better than Linux?

Dedicating this thread to all windows lovers (over Linux):

Do you think Linux have better UI than windows or Mac, Do you think Linux has more presentable things that other vendors, do you have any cell phone that uses Linux UI, which is more user friendly windows or Linux.

In General, You praise what you see...
For Windows:

- Windows have much more software apps than Linux
- Better support
- Very easy to use, even a non computer geek can use windows easily.
- User friendly

#-Link-Snipped-# -
My windows friendly users, please add on the reasons... :😁 :

-CB

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# I'll reply after some Winblows hardcore fans will flood posts here 😁

OS War! I like it.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#

Folks... your two cents on this super cool... OS War ! please!

-CB
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# I'll reply after some Winblows hardcore fans will flood posts here 😁

OS War! I like it.
    I noticed one thing... WIN-BLOWS ***** 😁
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    crazyboy
    I noticed one thing... WIN-BLOWS ***** 😁
    Okay, I will use term "Vacuum cleaner" instead of windows now-onwards πŸ˜›
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'll tell you why Windows is better than Linux -

1. Linux has managed to get that 'built for geeks' and a lot of people still think that unless you're good at handling the console - you can't find you way through stuff. Windows on the other hand is all intuitive. I know Linux Fanboys would disagree; but that's how most of the people think.

2. Software Availability: A lot of software is available out of the box with Windows but not with Linux. Of course you can have crossover programs to run Windows applications in Linux environment, but it requires additional steps than your regular MSI packages.

3. Most of the Indian Government websites are 'still' optimised for IE and IE does not run on Linux! WTF? You are forced to use Windows to have a better experience of using Government's websites. I just went to the Passport Office and the representative was on Windows XP + IE6 😲

4. Installing software on Linux was 'difficult' as compared to that on Windows. That problem has been solved now; but you still need some expertise to know what you're doing (it's far better to copy / install stuff into D:/Program Files and /user/home

5. Windows runs MS Office! Linux does not. Period. Don't even try convincing me. Show me a true MS Office competitor and I'll give up my remaining love for Windows.

Can't resist myself from tagging #-Link-Snipped-# πŸ˜€
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Most of the Indian Government websites are 'still' optimised for IE and IE does not run on Linux! WTF? You are forced to use Windows to have a better experience of using Government's websites. I just went to the Passport Office and the representative was on Windows XP + IE6 😲

niggawhat
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Point #2 in my post precisely talks about need of a crossover software.

PS: Slashdot isn't government website. 😁 (j/k)
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Point #2 in my post precisely talks about need of a crossover software.
    1111 2222222

BTW, What's bad in using Wine ? It doesn't glitch at all.
    Infact it runs faster than what it runs in Win XP.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    1111 2222222

BTW, What's bad in using Wine ? It doesn't glitch at all.
    Infact it runs faster than what it runs in Win XP.
    Nothing 'bad'. It's just you have to 'KNOW' that you've to use WINE to run Windows App. Think from an average user's perspective.

Windows is something that any average user can use.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    What I want to say is : When a kid uses PC for first time, he is made to use Windows & not Linux.
    Don't you think, that's the real problem ?
    Think a kid, who has never used PC & he/she starts using Linux desktop from beginning.He will be more comfortable in Linux environment than Windows.
    So, for him/her Linux will be user-friendly & Windows will be not-so user-friendly.

Just my opinion.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I don't see it as a problem. Why should people really hate Windows? It's easy to use and most of the 'parents' basically use it at their work and at homes. So it's easier for them to teach their kids to use MS Paint than load GIMP from software center on uBuntu.

Windows scores edge over Linux is in being 'simple'. Call it a huge success for Microsoft's designers or marketers.
  • lal
    lal
    By the time I first used Linux, I was already quite familiar with Windows. So back then I felt like there was some unwanted mess up in the Linux OS. Besides everything I wanted to do was easily available on Windows and I felt Linux was redundant. That was long time ago.

Then, again I started using Linux. Some people said Linux was much more powerful, viruses won't attack it and stuff like that. I wanted to feel what their praises were all about. I didn't feel any great improvemnt in processing under Linux though. Well, by the way I liked the terminal and its commands. The way many applications work without a GUI and controlling them through the terminal was definitely simpler and easier. Haven't seen or tried something like that on Windows. Except that, every application which cater my needs are in Windows and I didn't find any replacement for them on Linux which can replace them exactly and that efficiently till date. But I do use Linux, just for fun. And Windows, to do my stuff!
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Things keep sticking me with Windows is: software's and games.
    I can't find replacement of Adobe softwares, Office and games (Being occasional gamer).
    I don't think any business which uses computer can imagine to run without outlook and sort of other MS office products.

About mac: My first reaction on using mac was, dude , this is Linux UI😘.
    Abhishek Rawal
    What I want to say is : When a kid uses PC for first time, he is made to use Windows & not Linux.
    ++1
    Linux was quite difficult but it has been improved a lot, a lot in last 5 years. and being simple with each release.

My verdict is, Linux is very flexible, configurable but windows (Microsoft) is persisting because of office and software availability.

Give Linux a better alternative of MS Office and it will surely beat windows.
    Today Android crushed the other closed source platforms, I hope Linux will also do the same.πŸ‘

PS: I want to kill those Business Analyst who agrees with client to deliver web product to run on Internet Explorer (All versions are crap). 😑
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Abhishek Rawal
    Think a kid, who has never used PC & he/she starts using Linux desktop from beginning.He will be more comfortable in Linux environment than Windows.
    So, for him/her Linux will be user-friendly & Windows will be not-so user-friendly.

Just my opinion.
    Ever thought why its so...? Why people are so inclined towards windows, because of its user friendliness.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    ianoop
    Give Linux a better alternative of MS Office and it will surely beat windows.
    Today Android crushed the other closed source platforms, I hope Linux will also do the same.:
    Have u used any Lumia phone... Let me tell you windows 8 is no lesser than android or iOs. In future you never know if windows 8 will beat Android.

However hopefully... umm infact i am sure 😁 linux would never be so popular as windows is. Or in another words, Linux can never take windows position.

-CB
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    crazyboy
    Have u used any Lumia phone...
    Yes I did some hands on on lumia 820 and 620.. and agree it's very pretty. but for integration I am not sure .
    Customization and features, you can't beat Android, just an example some people use to have lots of apps access on home screens other likes simple dashboard.

Some places it feels like it is adding extra steps to give pretty interface. Like if I open app store on lumia, it asks me to selects which section to go, which is just a plain screen nothing there. In android it loads the treading things from all sections and also gives option to go to specific section.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Nothing 'bad'. It's just you have to 'KNOW' that you've to use WINE to run Windows App. Think from an average user's perspective.

Windows is something that any average user can use.
    Makes me wonder - how people LEARN to use cracking software/ serial no. generators to run pirated software on windows. But running something as simple as wine is rocket science?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anand Tamariya
    Makes me wonder - how people LEARN to use cracking software/ serial no. generators to run pirated software on windows. But running something as simple as wine is rocket science?
    We're talking about average people, right? Wine is not rocket science - it's just that people need to 'know' that they can run Windows stuff on Linux using a software. Not many people know that!

Windows is simple enough that average people who just click on Internet Explorer (because it has the word Internet in it) and then check Facebook.

All I'm stating is that Windows is for regular people who want to check emails, watch videos and play music on their computers.

Simplicity does offer Windows an edge over Linux. I'm outta this thread anyway.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    I would like to open with one word : freedom. Wars have been fought for less! People who understand what computer science is, do not need to read ahead, you already know it! Coming to the point, with Linux, you have got everything, and I mean everything right in front of you and that too free of cost. Change it whatever the way you want, use it the way you want. You are the owner of the product, not the other way round. Moreover, there are millions of people standing with you to work with you. People, who use computers for something other than internet, this argument should be enough. And yeah, no matter how good a software you have in windows, there is an alternative in linux, though sometimes, you might have to walk the extra mile!

Again whoever says windows have better GUI, certainly haven't used Unity(or interfaces based on KDE). People prefer windows because they are using it since childhood and they are addicted to it. Change is always frightening, but it leads you to better options! As I said in another debate, computer has become an important part of everyone's life and it's not harmful if people could learn about it a little deeper, rather than just restarting it every other hour!

Having said that, yes, there are some issues. Every revolution has some! People are working on it and community is stronger more than ever. Bugs are being patched, code is being written, apps are being developed, gaming is being ported(steam) and we are developing mobile OS too!

Man, I could sit whole night and write about it but I guess 160% increment of Ubuntu users in India in one year itself shows that we are on our way!
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    All I'm stating is that Windows is for regular people who want to check emails, watch videos and play music on their computers.
    For these regular folks, I don't see how Linux perform any less!
  • avii
    avii
    This happened some 4-5 years ago. I suggested Linux to a friend when he had asked for OS any other Windows. After installing, he tried to play a MP3 file. It asked for a plugin to be installed externally.

I rest my case.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Winblows some place and in some areas the penguins vomit

So there can not be complete victory in this never ending war

Loved all the posts here I would say really interesting

For Geeks Server admins LINUX is good

For first time computer newbs it is hard core that they go for windows
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    avii
    This happened some 4-5 years ago. I suggested Linux to a friend when he had asked for OS any other Windows. After installing, he tried to play a MP3 file. It asked for a plugin to be installed externally.

I rest my case.
    You haven't kept pace with Linux development. You just made a wrong choice of distro.
  • avii
    avii
    No it was either Ubuntu or Fedora, I don't remember. Back then, if I remember correctly Mandriva or Open Suse would play MP3s directly. And playing MP3s would be essential I would say. He was like what kind of OS you suggested me which cannot even play MP3s.

Current Ubuntu editions play MP3s though.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    I have been in a similar mail war when I was in my engineering college days, that mail chain had lasted well over a 100 email replies. Back and forth ... back then I was a Windoze supporter.

Well, a decade later, I have switched sides πŸ˜€

#-Link-Snipped-#, the points you make are well noted. But, if you are going to tell me that your choice of operating system is dictated by the government then does that not make it 1984 to 2010?

If you do want truly user friendly + Microsoft Office friendly OS, then please buy a Mac! I agree that MS Office is by far the best office suite out there (fellow Linux Users, the war will be lost if you fight this battle, better let them win this one). So Biggie, if the work you do involves formatting presentations and working on complex spreadsheets then please stick to Windows + MS Office. The rest, please read on.

One smart guy pointed out that we get initiated to Windows at a very early age. Well, this is changing, these days our new generation (my kids) is getting introduced to Android and iOS. Yes, Windows 8 is there, but so is Ubuntu. So what Linux has to do is first make you transition from Windows to Linux (which is why you have Wine) and then open the world of awesomeness to you.

We can go on discussing each others points, but at the end of the day, this is an unending discussion ... the same such as theism v/s atheism. People have personal preferences, and that will always be the case.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    😁

Good to have your comment, #-Link-Snipped-#. When it comes to operating systems, I prefer not taking sides; because I'm way past the operating systems for personal use. As long as any operating system runs a modern web browser, I'm all fine with it.

The title of the thread is why 'Windows is better than Linux' - and I only mentioned the points where Windows scores over Linux. Windows is for average users and since we've all the geeks here - Linux is bound to get more likes.

I'm way past Windows and Linux and have been using OSX since last ~2 years. That operating system just works and it does everything I want it to do. I'm happy. Now some smartass will tell me that OSX is based on Linux to which I only laugh because down to the machine, it's all 'voltages' few above the others.

I don't hate Windows. It's one fine operating system and there's a solid reason it's ruled the computers for 2-3 decades.

For the records sake, CrazyEngineers runs on a Linux powered machine and I know what are the finer differences between Windows and Linux operating systems.

Windows works no matter how much the Linux fanboys hate it. Similarly, Linux works too.

If this discussion has to be really productive, let's talk what are the exact points where each operating systems score points over each other - something I mentioned in my first response in this thread.

PS: Meh! I had said I'd be out of this thread. But could't resist πŸ˜‰
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Windows is for average users and Linux is for geeks - might have been true in last decade; not any more. Today Linux gives you stable environment for your day-to-day usage as well as full access to the system internals should you need it.

Linux pros:
    - Can run in as less as 512MB RAM
    - Can run on variety of hardware - even the ones that OEM stopped supporting.
    - Is free as in speech
    - Less prone to virus menace
    - Easier software management (one user interface to update ALL applications)
    - Faster boot time (as less as 29s)
    - A program crash never translates into OS crash - NEVER.
    - Variety of tools to automate my tasks and make my life easier (shell, awk, sed, wc etc)
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anand Tamariya
    Windows is for average users and Linux is for geeks - might have been true in last decade; not any more.
    Assuming that visitors and members of CE, 99% engineers are average or above average users (geeks), let's see what the stats for traffic this year reveal. I pulled up statistics directly from Google Analytics which gives an overall profile of the audience, including which operating system they're using to access CrazyEngineers.

stats​

The Big Blue: Windows : 76%
    The Green: Android (Surprise!) : 7.8% (Thanks to CE's mobile style)
    The Red: OSX (Surprise!)

Majority of engineers are still on Windows and things haven't changed drastically since last decade. Windows continues to be the top choice of the engineers - who're supposed to be using Linux.

I'm not sure why people still use Windows - but the only reasoning I could come up with is the one I mentioned in my first post in this thread. People by laptops and computers pre-loaded with Windows but don't care to switch over to uBuntu (probably the most popular Linux flavour for regular, FB loving users).

Please note that I'm not favouring Windows. I'm only offering credits to the operating system where it's excelled. For the records sake, I've never had Windows 7 crash in the days when I used it approximately for minimum 7-9 hours a day.

Let's talk about why engineers haven't adopted Linux fully yet? Be aware that the above stats are 'Global', not India specific.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Well, a similar debate is going on here and apparently having the same result....πŸ˜‰

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Let's talk about why engineers haven't adopted Linux fully yet? Be aware that the above stats are 'Global', not India specific.
    One simple reason : Gaming.
    If by support of Gabe Newell,If Linux community gets considerable support from game developers,then you'll see your statistics changing.

In India, Most people uses Pirated Windows OS & runs pirated games. If suddenly all the pirated data will be lost from whole world or Indian Govt. starts taking strict action against piracy by blocking torrent/illegal websites (which is not gonna happen),Will you spend 4 grands for OS? Will you spend 2 Grands for Antivirus ?

Shit,I bet on my nuts : All will start using Linux.
    Because as far as I know, normal middle class family can't afford paying 6 grands on softwares after buying 25k bucks of desktop.
    Atleast 70% of Indians like me,Can't !
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Pensu
    Well, a similar debate is going on here and apparently having the same result....πŸ˜‰

#-Link-Snipped-#
    Right. That's why I posted the stats of our site where the users already are beyond school, control their OS environments and there's no interference of governments. It looks like most of the engineers have willingly / or unwillingly (company policies, college internet) using Windows.

Tell me how many of uBuntu supporters have taken the lead to convince their colleges to replace Windows with uBuntu, Debian?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Indians, who really look for free stuff should have really adopted uBuntu right away. But it looks like they're preferring to use pirated (I'm not sure if majority are on Pirated versions) over something that's available free of cose.

One of the Civil Engineers I know had to use Windows computer because the CAD/CAM software he wanted was available only for Windows.

Let's get back to the basic question: Why are engineers, who should be aware of the OS choices they have, haven't switched over to uBuntu and are continuing to use Windows (pirated, for that matter)? What's the magic that Windows has created that they're completely overlooking the free uBuntu option?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    One of the Civil Engineers I know had to use Windows computer because the CAD/CAM software he wanted was available only for Windows.
    Surely this guy haven't heard about : QCAD or GCAD ( I don't remember it's name)

Edit : LinuxCNC is another alternative.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    Surely this guy haven't heard about : QCAD or GCAD ( I don't remember it's name)

Edit : LinuxCNC is another alternative.
    Is QCAD / GCAD a fix for all CAD/CAM solutions?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Is QCAD / GCAD a fix for all CAD/CAM solutions?
    I don't know.
    Reason : Never used.

BTW, Autodesk's CAD/CAM is not free, did he used original product or pirated ?
    I am sure, Pirated 😁
  • avii
    avii
    Abhishek Rawal
    One simple reason : Gaming.
    Why not dual boot ?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    avii
    Why not dual boot ?
    Because Open-source > Closed- source.

Because, we believe that once you install the software/OS, it's your property & not company's property, you have full right to do what you want, how you want : Freedom.

The customizing options in KDE, Gnome & Cinnamon makes me love Linux much more. I used to think Gnome is best DE, but recently after tweaking a lot in KDE : My new favourite is KDE. This is one awesome DE. The developers of DE deserves applause.

BTW, I have dual-boot : One partition stable OS (Ubuntu flavours or Mint : This changes as per mood) & Other partition Bleeding edge OS (Most prolly Fedora)
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Statistics reveal that most of crazyengineers users , Indian engineers, are using company provided laptops!! Windows has created no magic. It used money power - same as Intel. They tied up with OEMs to make sure every laptop that is manufactured has Wintel technology and logos on it giving an impression to the wider audience that there is no alternative.

People in general have a herd mentality. They would keep on singing paeans about brands rather than spend some time in understanding the technology that make them better. Case in point is Apple's Retina display awesomeness which is a function of screen resolution and graphics processing power. Or Bose's great sound system not understanding the fact that what one hears is a function of audio source quality, digital-to-analog conversion and full-range well-balanced drivers.

I'm making these arguments here only because at least engineers, who are supposed to be technical competent, don't live with and most importantly propagate the MYTH that windows is more user-friendly than Linux.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    avii
    Why not dual boot ?
    ...means you still end up using Windows. Eat it up folks, Windows rules desktops.

PS: How about discussing things you can only do with uBuntu and not on Windows and vice-versa? That'd give a proper direction to this discussion.
  • avii
    avii
    Abhishek Rawal
    Because Open-source > Closed- source.
    I was asking, if only Gaming is the reason for Windows, then people could also install & learn Linux with dual boot & game on Windows whenever they want.

If not dual boot, then people atleast could install as a Virtual Machine.

Simple reason, no one cares about Linux. They are just not interested in Linux cos Windows can do everything that an average user needs. Windows got stable with Vista (if you had good H/w) & I hardly ever had a crash on Windows Vista. And Windows 7, that's the by far most awesome Windows OS. No crashes even in months. That's just awesome.

I am a heavy OS X user. Triple booted with OS X, Ubuntu & Win 8. And I hardly use Windows. But still agree Windows wins over Linux when it comes to desktop. OS X is awesome, but its too costly. No VFM.

PS - I haven't seen anyone here mentioning they use OS X other than #-Link-Snipped-# I am surprised by OS X traffic stats 😲
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - most of the traffic from US, Europe and Australia in on OSX.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I'm fine with whatever works. Windows XP & 7 seems to be chugging along fine with my daily tasks at work and at home.

Though if I have time to spare, then I would surely boot up Linux and fiddle around with it. Its pretty fun to dig into commands, customizing interfaces or just plain experimenting. When I run into issues, there's plenty of resources online to guide me into fixing them. The thought of running my own Asterisk box, dedicated firewall solution or other cool embedded projects is alluring. Now, I simply don't have time to do these things anymore.

It's the same about rooting phones. No matter how many times I tell myself to root the GS3 and test out all the nice custom ROMs, I just simply get sidetracked with other commitments.. just as long as the TouchWiz doesn't fail on me with the basic stuff.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    So linux Geeks,

Can we conclude that right now(at this moment), Windows wins over Linux and there is no second alternative for Win BLOWS πŸ˜€

-CB
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    crazyboy
    So linux Geeks,

Can we conclude that right now(at this moment), Windows wins over Linux and there is no second alternative for Win BLOWS πŸ˜€

-CB
    Add OSX to the debate and I'll tell you how it wins over Windows. Linux folks haven't given up yet, I believe πŸ˜‰
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    crazyboy
    So linux Geeks,

-CB
    +1 for funny quotient!!! How exactly did you conclude windows wins over linux? @ #-Link-Snipped-# bring in OSX in the discussion if you will. I was always curious!!
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    someone said somewhere
    Microsoft is known for their opponent-killing marketing strategies.So,Let the time speak
    if Windows can beat Linux.. πŸ˜€

-CB
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    crazyboy
    someone said somewhere

if Windows can beat Linux.. πŸ˜€
    That sentence totally points out that they're good in marketing & nothing else.

Just because Windows have large pool of users, it's does not mean that it's best : It either means the Marketing strategy of Windows is "Uber" or million people are stupid as fuck.

Someguy, a computer Engineer said Windows got stable with Vista & Vista is among the world's worst OS after Windows ME, Java OS, GNU Hurd & DOS 4.0 😁😁

I am proud of Indian Engineers, very proud 😁

PS : I am "out" of this thread.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Abhishek Rawal
    Someguy, a computer Engineer said Windows got stable with Vista & Vista is among the world's worst OS after Windows ME, Java OS, GNU Hurd & DOS 4.0 😁😁

I am proud of Indian Engineers, very proud 😁
    WTF.. Who was that someguy?
    Finally I am with you on this, Vista was one of the worst ever in the history of OS.

-CB
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    crazyboy
    WTF.. Who was that someguy.
    --->
    avii
    Windows got stable with Vista (if you had good H/w) & I hardly ever had a crash on Windows Vista.
  • avii
    avii
    Vista issue was overblown. It just needed high hardware requirements. IMO it was pretty much stable. And a LOT better than XP.

I am not able to find a MSDN article which shed a light on this.

So yes, I would still say Vista was stable. Worst OS or not, it depends on how person thinks.
  • avii
    avii
    Abhishek Rawal
    Just because Windows have large pool of users, it's does not mean that it's best : It either means the Marketing strategy of Windows is "Uber" or million people are stupid as fuck.
    Yes, million people are actually stupid as fuck. Only Linux users have 4 digit IQ.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Cool down guys, β˜•
    avii
    Vista issue was overblown. It just needed high hardware requirements. IMO it was pretty much stable. And a LOT better than XP.
    I am not able to find a MSDN article which shed a light on this.
    So yes, I would still say Vista was stable. Worst OS or not, it depends on how person thinks.

What MSDN says, it sucks. actual reviews always comes from users not the manufacturer. Even the Microsoft internal tools was saying Vista is just a WISTA(in hindi) means $h|t . Check this out.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

They say IE is best and fast browser, windows media player is best one , I know everyone believe thisβ˜•

If windows is so reliable and best why not every server in the world uses it.
    Why do they prefer linux/Solaris over windows/MAC.

Lets get the real fact,

Why windows is popular:
    For a noob user: Simple installation and easy to get wide range of software and games (Piracy doesn't matter, companies themselves allow piracy not fully then at least 50%).
    Once installed you don't need any other addon/internet to to general task like editing text, internet, picuture, video etc.
    Microsoft Office - No office would ever run without MS office.

Why linux wasn't popular and getting into race now a days;
    It was quite tough to get additional software for linux once installed.
    But now it being easy to get softwares , lots of distributions are coming to select.
    and now people are also getting ubuntu uninstalled in their laptop.

I would suggest Ubuntu to release a Home edition and it will surely get popularity.

At the time of XP, linux was really not a user friendly OS and that is why people get used to windows OS and when windows 7 came it was one of the best update for windows and since people who ware using XP it's a piece of cake to migrate to windows 7 or teach their peers/children to use W7.

PS: Linux is free and super powerful (nobody can question that), developers do it free to you.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Hence,
    [​IMG]

PS : We have Penguins & Cookies 😁

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Just like always, Apple engineers seems to be working really hard for stealing the audience's breath away at the Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) 2013 starting monday next week. With news...
Well, Samsung’s GALAXY range has long been at war with Sony’s Xperia range for capturing market share. Samsung’s policy of making cheap droids worked successfully but they also drew a...
Power supplied to our ISPs main device through which internet is provided to us is provided by another customer's house who is using internet from the same device. My ISP...
Lenovo seems to have quietly launched the IdeaPad Y510p Laptop and is currently available for purchasing via the website. The laptop features a brushed metal exterior and metal speaker grilles...
It has happened again. A product gets listed online even before its official launch to give us a preview to what the phone has to offer. HTC’s Desire XDS has...